Topic View: Flat | Threaded
megadread
1202 posts

Re: QR Codes
Feb 27, 2011, 19:38
Littlestone wrote:
goffik wrote:
megadread wrote:
I've phoned people from the top of Silbury, naughty boy aren't i. ; )

Is there anybody in particular you're trying to get a rise out of?

G x

See also this.

The point is, what part of Please do not Climb the Monument signage are those who still climb Silbury not understanding? It shows nothing other than a selfish disregard for Silbury’s long-term conservation. As for climbing Silbury and then phoning people from the top... hardly something to brag about on a board where most of us respect such places and have their conservation first and foremost in our minds. More puzzling is actually wanting to call people from the top of Silbury! Would it be the usual banal, “I’m ten minutes away, where are you?” Or perhaps, “I’ve forgotten the drink, can you bring it up with you when you come?”

Let’s hope English Heritage capped the hole properly; we wouldn’t want people falling down it would we... can’t be much of a signal down there ;-)

Each to his own.
As for the call, it was to my mum and private so i wont go into detail.
Feel free to call the cops anytime. ; )
Rockrich
Rockrich
448 posts

Feb 27, 2011, 20:05
Unlike me to bring the subject round to rock art, but this project is nearly complete: http://rockartmobile.wordpress.com/
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 27, 2011, 21:09
Rockrich wrote:
Unlike me to bring the subject round to rock art, but this project is nearly complete: http://rockartmobile.wordpress.com/

Rockrich wrote:
Again, at Lordenshaws, signal was present for all networks, though it was a little patchy here and there. But as an overall conclusion, there is indeed scope for utilising mobile phone technology and, crucially, we should be able to make use of some signal on site. Hooray!

Interesting.

For sure reception everywhere is improving, and places you couldn’t get a signal from previously you now can. Heritage Action has started working on how QR technology might be used to further promote a wider understanding of our megalithic heritage, could you see that working at (some if not all) rock art sites?
megadread
1202 posts

Feb 27, 2011, 21:11
Littlestone wrote:
Rockrich wrote:

Rockrich wrote:
Again, at Lordenshaws, signal was present for all networks, though it was a little patchy here and there. But as an overall conclusion, there is indeed scope for utilising mobile phone technology and, crucially, we should be able to make use of some signal on site. Hooray!

Interesting.

For sure reception everywhere is improving, and places you couldn’t get a signal from previously you now can. Heritage Action has started working on how QR technology might be used to further promote a wider understanding of our megalithic heritage, could you see that working at (some if not all) rock art sites?

Huh. ?
Your proposing we should have little plastic stickers next to rock art. ?
Personally if i saw any in my neck of the woods i'd remove em, there's enough tat at ancient sites without encouraging more.
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 27, 2011, 21:16
LOL. Heritage action is now going to take credit for QR. Too funny.
Resonox
604 posts

Feb 28, 2011, 06:01
megadread wrote:

Not at all Goff, i've always held the belief Silbury was made to be climbed, and i still do, i have no qualms about climbing it, or even phoning people whilst up there, only if i'm alone though, i wouldn't spoil anyone elses peace.

The ancients must have been really progressive ..designing a hill to be climbed to use to get a better phone signal...BTW do you mean you only climb it when you are alone or only use your phone whilst alone?
I only ask as I have this vision of people swarming all over Silbury avoiding each other all switching their phones off to ensure they don't spoil anyone else's peace.
There are people who hold the belief that Silbury was designed to be viewed from ground level...so the sight of anybody climbing it(whether making phone calls or not) spoils their peace, their viewing and intrudes on their personal feelings.
Resonox
604 posts

Feb 28, 2011, 06:13
megadread wrote:
Each to his own.
Saying it was a private call and adding a sentimental to my mum doesn't make it any more right.......If there was something in your life so personal which meant you HAD to climb Silbury against all the signs asking you not to...then deciding it was the best time to make an important personal call from there....rather than quickly get down and get home to say it in person only smacks of self-justification to try to excuse your original boast, bearing in mind you claim that you made the phone call it wasn't someone phoning you and you answered them.
Strange how people will always have their phone with them no matter what the situation...but need to piss on monuments to see the carvings because they can't carry water(although 250ml bottles are easy to keep in a pocket).
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 28, 2011, 07:11
Resonox wrote:
megadread wrote:
Each to his own.
Saying it was a private call and adding a sentimental to my mum doesn't make it any more right.......If there was something in your life so personal which meant you HAD to climb Silbury against all the signs asking you not to...then deciding it was the best time to make an important personal call from there....rather than quickly get down and get home to say it in person only smacks of self-justification to try to excuse your original boast, bearing in mind you claim that you made the phone call it wasn't someone phoning you and you answered them.
Strange how people will always have their phone with them no matter what the situation...but need to piss on monuments to see the carvings because they can't carry water(although 250ml bottles are easy to keep in a pocket).

I'm getting pissed off with all this tit for tat arguing and what is coming around to personal attacks. This is supposed to be a discussion forum where we can all enjoy what is supposed to be a shared hobby. Unless we all move on from this more and more members are going to leave or simply not bother posting any further which will result in only the views of a select few holding sway. I don't want to be part of that as lifes too short.
Resonox
604 posts

Feb 28, 2011, 07:19
Sanctuary wrote:

I'm getting pissed off with all this tit for tat arguing and what is coming around to personal attacks. This is supposed to be a discussion forum where we can all enjoy what is supposed to be a shared hobby. Unless we all move on from this more and more members are going to leave or simply not bother posting any further which will result in only the views of a select few holding sway. I don't want to be part of that as lifes too short.

I'm sorry you feel this was a personal "tit for tat" attack on you....but you did boast about an action which is signed to ask people to refrain from doing...because it is your belief..then tried to justify it....I pointed out others have different beliefs and your actions conflict with those views...but you seem to disregard their feelings to gratify your own....so please don't try to make out you have been singled out...you stuck your head above the parapet.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 28, 2011, 07:42
Resonox wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

I'm sorry you feel this was a personal "tit for tat" attack on you....but you did boast about an action which is signed to ask people to refrain from doing...because it is your belief..then tried to justify it....I pointed out others have different beliefs and your actions conflict with those views...but you seem to disregard their feelings to gratify your own....so please don't try to make out you have been singled out...you stuck your head above the parapet.

Not on me it wasn't Resonox, you're aiming at the wrong person. I was just saying what I know a lot of other people feel that we want an end to this pointless and negative arguing.
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 122 23 24 25 26 27 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index