Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: QR Codes
Feb 26, 2011, 18:04
juamei wrote:
tjj wrote:

They're completely new to me - perhaps they deserve their own thread.
I can't see any problem if they are used in conjunction with normal text - which they can't in fairness replace because not everyone owns a smart phone. Could you clarify - is a mobile phone signal needed, because if it is they wouldn't work out at Silbury.

Huh, I've never had any signal probs at Silbury, must be different providers...

The idea is to enhance the site, provide access to TMA, the HER/SMR, Meg Portal etc from an easily scanable point on site. The normal signage would remain on site.

I admit I've never tried to phone anyone from Silbury, however, in many of the locations around Avebury my mobile doesn't receive a signal ... which is just fine by me.

Thanks for the info, have also read the other posts on this subject - looks like an interesting development.
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Feb 26, 2011, 19:51
Others have expanded on the use of these codes, so I won't repeat them. Just one question is puzzling me though...

tjj wrote:
Could you clarify - is a mobile phone signal needed, because if it is they wouldn't work out at Silbury.

How would you know? You've said later that:

tjj wrote:
I admit I've never tried to phone anyone from Silbury

??
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 26, 2011, 20:22
Feb 26, 2011, 20:17
ocifant wrote:
Others have expanded on the use of these codes, so I won't repeat them. Just one question is puzzling me though...

tjj wrote:
Could you clarify - is a mobile phone signal needed, because if it is they wouldn't work out at Silbury.

tjj wrote:

??

Hahaha! Hilarious ...

What actually I wrote in my second post was this:
"I admit I've never tried to phone anyone from Silbury, however, in many of the locations around Avebury my mobile doesn't receive a signal ... which is just fine by me.
Thanks for the info, have also read the other posts on this subject - looks like an interesting development."

Perfectly polite, admitting I might be wrong about the phone signal.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 26, 2011, 20:39
Nope, I’ve never had a problem with a (Orange) signal from Silbury either (that’s from the car park I hasten to add ;-) But if I understand the QR technology properly you don’t actually need a signal – nice if you’ve got one but if not just capture the QR code on the sign and use it later once you do have a signal... simples :-)
megadread
1202 posts

Feb 26, 2011, 23:43
tjj wrote:
ocifant wrote:

tjj wrote:

tjj wrote:

??

Hahaha! Hilarious ...

What actually I wrote in my second post was this:
"I admit I've never tried to phone anyone from Silbury, however, in many of the locations around Avebury my mobile doesn't receive a signal ... which is just fine by me.
Thanks for the info, have also read the other posts on this subject - looks like an interesting development."

Perfectly polite, admitting I might be wrong about the phone signal.

I've phoned people from the top of Silbury, naughty boy aren't i. ; )
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Feb 27, 2011, 09:30
Feb 27, 2011, 09:00
Alan, well done for researching these, which are going to be a big thing that we'll all benefit from I reckon, so it would be a shame if any negativity was dumped on them, especially with zero justification. So let's make it clear - no-one ever suggested they will replace normal text so there's no reason to point the fact out, as if it's a problem to be overcome - it's a bit like saying beware buying a radio, it won't replace books! Also, there are 30K Scheduled monuments so alleged phone problems at one of them is hardly an issue - especially as the info can be captured and used later.

There's so much bad going on in heritage at present, with the funding cuts, this is a 100% Good News story that's going to be great. EH and NT et al need nagging and encouraging to embrace it. Arguably, this very website will play a massive part in it.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 27, 2011, 10:04
megadread wrote:
I've phoned people from the top of Silbury, naughty boy aren't i. ; )

Is there anybody in particular you're trying to get a rise out of?

G x
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 27, 2011, 10:36
nigelswift wrote:
Alan, well done for researching these, which are going to be a big thing that we'll all benefit from I reckon, so it would be a shame if any negativity was dumped on them, especially with zero justification. So let's make it clear - no-one ever suggested they will replace normal text so there's no reason to point the fact out, as if it's a problem to be overcome - it's a bit like saying beware buying a radio, it won't replace books! Also, there are 30K Scheduled monuments so alleged phone problems at one of them is hardly an issue - especially as the info can be captured and used later.

There's so much bad going on in heritage at present, with the funding cuts, this is a 100% Good News story that's going to be great. EH and NT et al need nagging and encouraging to embrace it. Arguably, this very website will play a massive part in it.

Indeed Nigel. Though I would have thought asking questions was a positive thing rather than negative as it provided the opportunity to make the benefits of this new technology more widely known. The Youtube links were helpful, as was the clarification about the mobile phone signal. I hadn't heard of the codes until I read about them here.
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 27, 2011, 10:48
tjj wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

Indeed Nigel. Though I would have thought asking questions was a positive thing rather than negative as it provided the opportunity to make the benefits of this new technology more widely known. The Youtube links were helpful, as was the clarification about the mobile phone signal. I hadn't heard of the codes until I read about them here.

Always best to look at both sides of the coin.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 27, 2011, 10:53
Hahahaha!
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 120 21 22 23 24 25 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index