Avebury »
Developments at Avebury

Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 123 24 25 26 27 28 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: QR Codes
Feb 28, 2011, 07:54
Hey Mr Sanctuary, good for you for taking the moral high ground about not arguing but could you clarify what is your position on the Silbury moral high ground?

In other words, is it OK to walk straight past the notices asking people not to climb it - and to climb it? Where do you stand on the issue?! ;)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 28, 2011, 08:04
nigelswift wrote:
Hey Mr Sanctuary, good for you for taking the moral high ground about not arguing but could you clarify what is your position on the Silbury moral high ground?

In other words, is it OK to walk straight past the notices asking people not to climb it - and to climb it? Where do you stand on the issue?! ;)

You may wish to stir the pot further Nigel but you're not fooling anyone. I certainly have no wish to take part in any tit for tat vendetta.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 28, 2011, 08:07
Ooh, blimey! Personally, I thought he was being quite light-hearted!

G x
Resonox
604 posts

Feb 28, 2011, 08:09
Sanctuary wrote:
Not on me it wasn't Resonox, you're aiming at the wrong person. I was just saying what I know a lot of other people feel that we want an end to this pointless and negative arguing.
Quite right...I should've read the author's title headings more closely, but as so many people on here state their point of view then sit back and let others carry the can for them...these things are bound to happen...but again...my apologies for a silly and ill-observed assumption.
However...............
I'm not sure how arguments are pointless or negative though.....if everyone agreed blindly with everyone else...there would be no need for any topics...the whole point of a debate is to have two sides presented and I daresay fought for...usually until an accord is reached...which rarely happens(human nature) or until a lid is put on the subject and it is left to simmer with both sides unsatisfied, but at least having got their point across.
I disagree with people blatantly disregarding signs and climbing hills where climbing is prohibited..not because I see said hill as a high observation point or a point to be observed from below...but as a simple preservation measure...am I really so wrong to argue for preservation against those who "have rights" as proclaimed by their ancestors(of which we have no proof)?
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Mar 01, 2011, 19:38
Feb 28, 2011, 08:24
jackyboy wrote:
LOL. Heritage action is now going to take credit for QR. Too funny.

No I don't think that is the case, its been around for ages, on TMA you see people taking, and experimenting with beautiful photos of the stones, people out on the moors recording rock art in foul weather. Rockrich (did you read the article?) http://rockartmobile.wordpress.com/ ..... trying new things by tracking signals on their phones. Welcome to the new world of technology, its about education and learning.
No HA is not taking credit for QR, its just that someone has spent many hours putting the idea together!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 28, 2011, 08:43
"You may wish to stir the pot further Nigel but you're not fooling anyone. I certainly have no wish to take part in any tit for tat vendetta."

Well you can believe me or not but I certainly wasn't trying to stir a pot.

It's a pretty normal reaction to ask where you stand on an issue you're saying people shouldn't "argue" about. So I'll ask again - I agree with Resonox. people shouldn't ignore the notices, what about you?

Surely you can answer without saying I shouldn't ask?
Resonox
604 posts

Feb 28, 2011, 09:14
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

You may wish to stir the pot further Nigel but you're not fooling anyone. I certainly have no wish to take part in any tit for tat vendetta.

Why is asking a question tit-for -tat?(TY Nigel for asking...but now you'll be tarred with the same brush as me..."an argumentative so and so"..something I won't deny about myself because I refuse to just swallow any old guff dished out because it is "our ancestral right"...not and never will be a valid answer to debate.)

I can't understand why there are vendetta claims and refusals to answer because it is a viewpoint at odds with others, when it is only offering another side to the debate....
Are there any neutrals around? What would be their point in posting, "I agree with A because I see his point of view but I also agree with B because I see his point too!"....gets us no nearer a mutually acceptable solution.
My point is...it is wrong to climb a hill where that action is prohibited...just because there is no-one to police the prohibition and it is seen as an ancestral right from the climber's beliefs and that belief is at variance with other peoples' beliefs....as well as IMO being a wanton act of vandalism as the prohibition is there to preserve....not to deny beliefs....but that is only MY belief(others agree as others disagree)...but I'll repeat..if we don't preserve..there will soon be nothing there to preserve for our progeny....what will they think of their ancestors?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 28, 2011, 09:28
[quote="Sanctuary"

I'm getting pissed off with all this tit for tat arguing and what is coming around to personal attacks. This is supposed to be a discussion forum where we can all enjoy what is supposed to be a shared hobby. Unless we all move on from this more and more members are going to leave or simply not bother posting any further which will result in only the views of a select few holding sway. I don't want to be part of that as lifes too short.[/quote]

I sympathise Roy , but leaving only means those who don't want to see chat , discussion or even ,heaven forfend , debate get their way . It may well be the case that not everyone who posts here wants to see a thriving healthy forum , you certainly are not one and by not posting the health of the forum suffers and those wishing ill are satisfied .If there are unwarranted impolite personal attacks and the eds don't intervene then that is what I would consider a fair juncture to leave ,but we have never reached that point . I don't have a mobile phone or likely to be in Wiltshire in August and can usually find someplace to have a piss without disturbing the local fauna so havn't bothered posting on most of these threads .
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Mar 02, 2011, 21:34
Mar 02, 2011, 19:11
ocifant wrote:
On this topic, in reply to Heritage Action, the Yorkshire Dales tweeted a response:

"We have our first site panel with QR codes in production. You might like our archaeology website too http://ow.ly/42s2z"

So expect to see them more and more as time goes on...

Ocifant,

I've already answered this post once and by asking a question about mobile phone signals seemed to have caused something of a furore; I apologise if my question came across as negative, it wasn't meant to. I don't apologise for not knowing about QR codes though because my motto for life (to quote that good old boy Socrates) is "the only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing". Anyway ... just wanted to say I attended hospital today as an outpatient (a minor matter under the heading of general maintenance) was there long enough to have an identity band put on my wrist and noticed that along with my name, dob and hospital number there was also a QR code - which I imagine held some confidential medical information. So they are being used by the NHS and I'm sure many other organisations as well.

From what I've read in subsequent posts, you have been working on a project concerning their use at some heritage sites .. so may I take this opportunity of wishing you well with that. Would also like to add that when I emerged from the hospital mid-afternoon - spring had suddenly sprung, the outside world looked fantastic. And certainly put all this recent nonsense into perspective.

best wishes
June
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Mar 03, 2011, 08:02
tjj wrote:
From what I've read in subsequent posts, you have been working on a project concerning their use at some heritage sites .. so may I take this opportunity of wishing you well with that.

Thanks June. Plans and discussions are ongoing on the project. I won't say more at this stage, other than "watch this space".
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 123 24 25 26 27 28 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index