Avebury »
Developments at Avebury

Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 121 22 23 24 25 26 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Resonox
604 posts

Re: QR Codes
Feb 27, 2011, 16:13
When settling an argument by the toss of a coin...only one side is taken into account...................................
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 27, 2011, 16:58
Resonox wrote:
When settling an argument by the toss of a coin...only one side is taken into account........

It was a curious use of the expression (although I'm sure well meant) as there was no argument as such - just a request for clarification and more information. For example I didn't know 'QR' stood for Quick Response until I read it here - having now been provided with information I'm fully in favour.
megadread
1202 posts

Feb 27, 2011, 17:23
goffik wrote:
megadread wrote:
I've phoned people from the top of Silbury, naughty boy aren't i. ; )

Is there anybody in particular you're trying to get a rise out of?

G x

Not at all Goff, i've always held the belief Silbury was made to be climbed, and i still do, i have no qualms about climbing it, or even phoning people whilst up there, only if i'm alone though, i wouldn't spoil anyone elses peace.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Feb 27, 2011, 18:35
nigelswift wrote:
So let's make it clear - no-one ever suggested they will replace normal text so there's no reason to point the fact out, as if it's a problem to be overcome - it's a bit like saying beware buying a radio, it won't replace books!

Fine Nigel, but a lot of people don't have/want/can't afford smart phones with QR readers. Bit sad to see TJJ being jumped on for making a perfectly valid point.

Personally I don't really care either way as I find sign-boards quite obstrusive right next to a site, and I don't have a smart phone anyway. But there you go.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 27, 2011, 18:55
thesweetcheat wrote:
Bit sad to see TJJ being jumped on for making a perfectly valid point.

You shouldn't assume you know what you don't as if you did you wouldn't. Finis.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Feb 27, 2011, 19:05
Feb 27, 2011, 19:03
goffik wrote:
megadread wrote:
I've phoned people from the top of Silbury, naughty boy aren't i. ; )

Is there anybody in particular you're trying to get a rise out of?

G x

See also this.

The point is, what part of Please do not Climb the Monument signage are those who still climb Silbury not understanding? It shows nothing other than a selfish disregard for Silbury’s long-term conservation. As for climbing Silbury and then phoning people from the top... hardly something to brag about on a board where most of us respect such places and have their conservation first and foremost in our minds. More puzzling is actually wanting to call people from the top of Silbury! Would it be the usual banal, “I’m ten minutes away, where are you?” Or perhaps, “I’ve forgotten the drink, can you bring it up with you when you come?”

Let’s hope English Heritage capped the hole properly; we wouldn’t want people falling down it would we... can’t be much of a signal down there ;-)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Feb 27, 2011, 19:11
nigelswift wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Bit sad to see TJJ being jumped on for making a perfectly valid point.

You shouldn't assume you know what you don't as if you did you wouldn't. Finis.

Nigel,

I read the posts above. TJJ didn't ask or say anything that was unreasonable (let alone rude). So whatever it is that I apparently don't know, doesn't seem particularly relevant.

Your dismissal ("Finis") of my comment could be taken as rude.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 27, 2011, 19:17
I don’t think Nigel was ‘jumping on anyone’ tsc. It’s perhaps a salutary lesson to us all, however, that before voicing an opinion on something (in this case QR codes) we take half an hour out to see what they're all about and if they might be constructively used in the megalithic/heritage context.

A lot of damage can be done, you know, by ignorantly and (hastily) jumping on a possibly very good idea initiated by sincere and caring people.
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 27, 2011, 19:23
Is this not a forum where people discuss ideas. Different ideas about how we see things past and present. To 'jump' on people that may not share your view is not how it should be. Freedom of thought is the way forward.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Feb 27, 2011, 19:25
Littlestone wrote:
I don’t think Nigel was ‘jumping on anyone’ tsc. It’s perhaps a salutary lesson to us all, however, that before voicing an opinion on something (in this case QR codes) we take half an hour out to see what they're all about and if they might be constructively used in the megalithic/heritage context.

A lot of damage can be done, you know, by ignorantly and (hastily) jumping on a possibly very good idea initiated by sincere and caring people.

Littlestone,

I wasn't solely Nigel I was referring to in my initial post. I refer back to TJJ's original post and cannot see that she was suggesting the codes were a bad idea, merely commenting that they couldn't replace text, an opinion that I share. I don't see how that amounts to ignorant or hasty jumping on anything.
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 121 22 23 24 25 26 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index