Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: A History of Ancient Britain
Feb 25, 2011, 14:17
Littlestone wrote:
Local distinction - marvelous stuff!

Aye, and if we’re name dropping I’ll have you know that Gilbert (Ray) O'Sullivan and I were at Swindon School of Art together. In fact I sold him my jacket for half a crown so I could buy a plate of chips (times were hard ;-) Years earlier, as a young teenagers, other mates and I used to cycle out from Swindon to Savernake Forest – wouldn’t fancy doing that now though, not in today’s traffic.

Yes but did he teach you to tickle the ivory's LS? :D
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 25, 2011, 16:01
Yes but did he teach you to tickle the ivory's...

Nah... but to quote from wiki... “...he briefly played drums in a band founded by Rick Davies (later creating the band Supertramp)...” They had a room close to the art school where they used to practice (when they should have been at school ;-)

At the risk of reminiscing too much, another fellow student was Ken White. Ken’s a brilliant artist and still painting. If you think you’ve never seen any of his work I bet you have but don’t know it - he did the flying lady logo on the nose of Virgin Airlines. He’s probably best known internationally for that but Ken continues to paint ‘proper’ paintings as well.

Will try and get Ken along to the Megameet this year. Might give Gilbert a call and see if he’s up for it as well ;-)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 25, 2011, 19:11
Littlestone wrote:

Nah... but to quote from wiki... “...he briefly played drums in a band founded by Rick Davies (later creating the band Supertramp)...” They had a room close to the art school where they used to practice (when they should have been at school ;-)

At the risk of reminiscing too much, another fellow student was Ken White. Ken’s a brilliant artist and still painting. If you think you’ve never seen any of his work I bet you have but don’t know it - he did the flying lady logo on the nose of Virgin Airlines. He’s probably best known internationally for that but Ken continues to paint ‘proper’ paintings as well.

Will try and get Ken along to the Megameet this year. Might give Gilbert a call and see if he’s up for it as well ;-)

I agree with you about Ken White, he is a brilliant artist - someone Swindon should be very proud of
http://www.kenwhitemurals.co.uk/paintings.html

I'm sure Gilbert is a very nice bloke too - just ask him not to sing.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 25, 2011, 20:15
tjj wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

I agree with you about Ken White, he is a brilliant artist - someone Swindon should be very proud of
http://www.kenwhitemurals.co.uk/paintings.html

I'm sure Gilbert is a very nice bloke too - just ask him not to sing.

Or wear his school cap!! :D
BBC Gloucestershire
2 posts

Mar 01, 2011, 14:30
Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know that the BBC Gloucestershire and BBC Wiltshire websites both have spin-off features from this series - a virtual tour of some of the counties' best ancient sites.

The Gloucestershire sites are described by Professor Mark Horton:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-12499444

And the Wiltshire ones are described by Phil Harding:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-12499452

Hopefully it'll be of interest!

Regards,
David
BBC Gloucestershire
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Mar 01, 2011, 15:44
Thanks for these links David.

What was the criteria for inclusion on these tours? I only ask as I'm surprised that, for example, the Wiltshire route takes you directly *through* Durrington Walls, yet it's not marked on the map!

Are there plans for any more of these routes? Cumbria, Cornwall and areas of Wales and Scotland are crying out for similar treatment!
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Mar 01, 2011, 16:21
Couple of excellent presenters there - cheers, David - look forward to investigating these later! :)

G x
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Mar 01, 2011, 19:15
BBC Gloucestershire wrote:
Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know that the BBC Gloucestershire and BBC Wiltshire websites both have spin-off features from this series - a virtual tour of some of the counties' best ancient sites.

The Gloucestershire sites are described by Professor Mark Horton:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-12499444

And the Wiltshire ones are described by Phil Harding:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-12499452

Hopefully it'll be of interest!

Regards,
David
BBC Gloucestershire

Very much of interest .. thank you. I live in Wiltshire so am familiar with the sites shown in your links. However, last year (and continuing) was my 'Cotswold Ancient Sites Adventure'. Your most fascinating link is a place I visited just last week, stopped of at the village of Bagendon - which to all intents and purposes is a tiny picturesque village with a beautiful little 13th century Cotswold stone church at its centre. Although we looked at the wooded earthworks that surround the village, didn't attempt any photographs.

What I didn't know, but have learnt from your link, is that Bagendon was the site of an Iron Age city and marks the beginning of 'history' rather than 'prehistory' as the the copper and silver pre-Roman coins were found there. The Romans, however, chose Cirencester though to built their city.

Great stuff - I'll be back to look/read some more.
BBC Gloucestershire
2 posts

Mar 02, 2011, 09:26
Glad you like it!

ocifant wrote:
What was the criteria for inclusion on these tours?

We simply asked Mark Horton and Phil Harding for the eight sites they wanted to feature. These are their favourites.

ocifant wrote:
Are there plans for any more of these routes? Cumbria, Cornwall and areas of Wales and Scotland are crying out for similar treatment!

Not as far as I know. We wanted to do this locally because we have so many interesting ancient sites in these parts.

All the other spin-off stuff that the BBC has done can be found here (use the clickable map): http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/handsonhistory/

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
David.
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Mar 02, 2011, 09:28
Thanks David.

I guess we'll just have to hassle the other BBC regions then :-)
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index