Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 24, 2011, 23:45
Re: Some pics of the filming at Knowth
Feb 24, 2011, 22:32
CianMcLiam wrote:
As far as I know the pig was ordered from a local butcher close to filming, it would have been sold on the counter if it hadn't been burned.

The forensic anthropologist featured in the series was there and she was very interested in how the experiment went, how the temperature of a large pyre of local wood over a long period would match with the remains recently analysed from within Knowth.

The Knowth sequence was the highlight of the programme for me, as much as I love Brodgar - it literally made my hair stand on end when they were inside the tomb, the closest I'll get to seeing the fabulous spiral carvings.

Your photos are in a class of their own Cian, as always (though I admit the pig cremation was the one bit of the otherwise excellent programme that didn't sit easily with me). Thanks for posting the link to your amazing photos.
Mart
Mart
214 posts

Re: A History of Ancient Britain
Feb 25, 2011, 02:34
They dealt with both the paleolithic and mesolithic in just one (the first) episode. Bearing in mind they recently found evidence of human activity in Norfolk that was 700,000 years old, and the neolithic (episode 2) started around 6000 years ago, thats 694,000 years of ancient british history nicely parcelled up in one hour - probably didnt have enough mystical stone stuff to offer to make it worth stringing it out. Good stuff about the Storrega tsunami though - must have been absolutely terrifying, its impact on the stoneage mind must have been devastating.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 25, 2011, 10:05
That's the mama! Quite a beaut, isn't she? The Savernake appears to have one or two amazing old trees in it...

Anyhoo! By the by... ;)

G x
VBB
558 posts

Feb 25, 2011, 10:36
Littlestone wrote:
goffik wrote:
I'm just gonna pick up on 2 words from that post and subvert briefly... ;)

Savernake Forest

Have you seen the name of Radiohead's latest album?

G x

The King of Limbs. This little fella - http://www.swindon-birds.co.uk/Location%20pics/savernakeforest3.jpg

Being an OF I didn't know about this, although I do know that Pete Docherty has for over a year lived in a rented house near Tottenham House (but only because it was in the paper). It is quite interesting how this place, with Henry VIII having held (one of) his wedding breakfast(s) nearby, with Stanley Baldwin having attended school in Tottenham House when it housed Hawtreys Prep, and of course having been given the treatment by Capability Brown; takes on a modern identity that can overshadow other histories for those to whom the modern existence has more relevance.
Local distinction - marvelous stuff!
VBB
558 posts

Feb 25, 2011, 10:37
VBB wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
goffik wrote:

Savernake Forest

G x

The King of Limbs. This little fella - http://www.swindon-birds.co.uk/Location%20pics/savernakeforest3.jpg

Being an OF I didn't know about this, although I do know that Pete Docherty has for over a year lived in a rented house near Tottenham House (but only because it was in the paper). It is quite interesting how this place, with Henry VIII having held (one of) his wedding breakfast(s) nearby, with Stanley Baldwin having attended school in Tottenham House when it housed Hawtreys Prep, and of course having been given the treatment by Capability Brown; takes on a modern identity that can overshadow other histories for those to whom the modern existence has more relevance.

Blimey - forgot Phil Harding growing up nearby, Oxenwood I think!
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 25, 2011, 10:49
VBB wrote:
VBB wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
goffik wrote:

Savernake Forest

G x

Blimey - forgot Phil Harding growing up nearby, Oxenwood I think!

"The only Forest in Britain still in private hands" Didn't know that.

http://www.savernakeestate.co.uk/history.htm
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 25, 2011, 11:39
VBB wrote:
..... takes on a modern identity that can overshadow other histories for those to whom the modern existence has more relevance.

Take yer historicistic navel gazing elewhere. This site's about stones and that.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 25, 2011, 11:49

Aye, and if we’re name dropping I’ll have you know that Gilbert (Ray) O'Sullivan and I were at Swindon School of Art together. In fact I sold him my jacket for half a crown so I could buy a plate of chips (times were hard ;-) Years earlier, as a young teenagers, other mates and I used to cycle out from Swindon to Savernake Forest – wouldn’t fancy doing that now though, not in today’s traffic.
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 25, 2011, 11:52
nigelswift wrote:
VBB wrote:
..... takes on a modern identity that can overshadow other histories for those to whom the modern existence has more relevance.

Take yer historicistic navel gazing elewhere. This site's about stones and that.

Somebody is a mardy bum ;0) ;0) ;0)
VBB
558 posts

Feb 25, 2011, 12:42
Littlestone wrote:

Aye, and if we’re name dropping I’ll have you know that Gilbert (Ray) O'Sullivan and I were at Swindon School of Art together. In fact I sold him my jacket for half a crown so I could buy a plate of chips (times were hard ;-) Years earlier, as a young teenagers, other mates and I used to cycle out from Swindon to Savernake Forest – wouldn’t fancy doing that now though, not in today’s traffic.

You were way ahead of your time!
Very healthy swapping a jacket for chips! :)
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index