A History of Ancient Britain

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Vicster
Vicster
662 posts

Re: A History of Ancient Britain - Chapel Stile
Mar 02, 2011, 09:35
Apologies if this has already been mentioned (too lazy to read every post!) but....did anyone else notice he was stood right next to the rock art boulders at Chapel Stile last week and DIDN'T EVEN MENTION THEM????? I can only presume that they were edited out because you couldn't stand THAT CLOSE with an expert in tow and not realise they were there, could you?
Rockrich
Rockrich
448 posts

Re: A History of Ancient Britain
Mar 02, 2011, 09:45
It shouldn't take BBC London long to produce theirs.
1speed
98 posts

Mar 02, 2011, 13:11
Vicster wrote:
Apologies if this has already been mentioned (too lazy to read every post!) but....did anyone else notice he was stood right next to the rock art boulders at Chapel Stile last week and DIDN'T EVEN MENTION THEM????? I can only presume that they were edited out because you couldn't stand THAT CLOSE with an expert in tow and not realise they were there, could you?

Yeah, Rockrich and I both spotted that. As Rich said "I got all excited 2min 45secs in. Obviously Copt Howe wasn’t sexy enough to make the final cut."

On t'other hand, maybe the breeze wasn't blowing in quite the right direction to make Mr Oliver's flowing locks stream out photogenically as he gazed into the middle distance for them to consider it a suitable location... ;-)
baza
baza
1308 posts

Edited Mar 02, 2011, 16:44
Mar 02, 2011, 16:41
Rockrich wrote:
I got all excited 2min 45secs in. Obviously Copt Howe wasn’t sexy enough to make the final cut.

I fleetingly saw Copt Howe as well and can think of two possible reasons why the site wasn't mentioned.

1/ The carvings were too faint to get a decent image for the telly.

2/ They didn't want to give out any clues as to the whereabouts of the stone axe factory.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Mar 02, 2011, 17:18
"They didn't want to give out any clues as to the whereabouts of the stone axe factory."

I thought that as well, though its all over the web. If one watches the outtakes on Standing with Stones, that was one of the funny scenes, Rupert and Michael slogging all the way to the axe quarry in terrible foul weather, R carefully placing a stone to illustrate what he was talking about, but then he could'nt find it amongst all the other (millions) of stones and doing his usual collapsing with laughter...

Actually Rupert is a much better presenter than Oliver ;)
jackyboy
145 posts

Mar 02, 2011, 22:09
Good show tonight I enjoyed it a lot. Best so far as far as I'm concerned. The coming forward of the individual and riches
summerlands
192 posts

Mar 03, 2011, 06:50
1speed wrote:

On t'other hand, maybe the breeze wasn't blowing in quite the right direction to make Mr Oliver's flowing locks stream out photogenically as he gazed into the middle distance for them to consider it a suitable location... ;-)

LOL that made me chuckle!! :-D
summerlands
192 posts

Mar 03, 2011, 06:52
jackyboy wrote:
Good show tonight I enjoyed it a lot. Best so far as far as I'm concerned. The coming forward of the individual and riches

Got Mr Summerlands all excited about opper / broncze casting again - he's always wanted to try that. Must see if there's someone that runs experience courses or something, must be mustn't there? :-S
Wild Wooder
216 posts

Mar 03, 2011, 08:02
Very good show as regards the wise words of Francis Pryor, bronze casting and votive offerings in rivers flowing east (eg bronze shield in Thames at Battersea)
But the long haired one fell down as regards the bronze age roundhouses on Dartmoor being the start of community life. How about Skara Brae in the Orkneys (and other 'villages' there). A cluster of separate dwellings that were occupied from around 3100 BC - well and truly neolithic methinks.
jackyboy
145 posts

Mar 03, 2011, 08:07
jackyboy wrote:

I saw this and thought it might fit the bill. http://www.bronzecasting.org.uk/
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index