A History of Ancient Britain

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Re: A History of Ancient Britain
Jan 31, 2011, 23:16
Men of Rock was brilliant...but Birth of Britain annoyed me...it had me shouting at the TV at times! Last week Tony Robinson told us about six times that the UK "WAS UNDER A SHEET OF ICE ONE MILE THICK!!!!!!" Tonight they had a map that showed Torquay as Portland..and was it me or did the steering wheel on his nice new Land rover change from the right to the left half way through?

And don't get me started on that bloody Baking program on BBC2 at 8.30!!!!
"This is a lime, its nothing like a lemon"...or words to that effect
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jan 31, 2011, 23:40
Jan 31, 2011, 23:23
Mr Hamhead wrote:
Men of Rock was brilliant...but Birth of Britain annoyed me...it had me shouting at the TV at times! Last week Tony Robinson told us about six times that the UK "WAS UNDER A SHEET OF ICE ONE MILE THICK!!!!!!" Tonight they had a map that showed Torquay as Portland..and was it me or did the steering wheel on his nice new Land rover change from the right to the left half way through?

And don't get me started on that bloody Baking program on BBC2 at 8.30!!!!
"This is a lime, its nothing like a lemon"...or words to that effect

LOL !! And that is why I rarely watch cookery programmes.

The opencast gold mining in Northern Ireland seemed like a travesty of destruction in the name of material gain ... but then why am I surprised (only caught the last 30 mins - would like to have seen the old Welsh goldmines).
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Jan 31, 2011, 23:56
You didn't miss much with the Welsh stuff...bit of folding of rocks...yet another computer image of continents crashing into each other....they then demonstrated the same machine that Men of Rock had that shows how pressure causes rocks to fold.

.....and then they went down a Roman mine tunnel called an Adit.....I didn't realise Adit was a Roman word..so iv'e learnt something tonight.

Oh and we saw some 'rock hard quartz' what other hardness would quartz have?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Feb 01, 2011, 20:01
Mr Hamhead wrote:
Oh and we saw some 'rock hard quartz' what other hardness would quartz have?

Ha ha ha!

TV documentaries need to employ you in an editorial capacity Mr H:

12 TV scriptwriters
10 weeks to right some acceptable non-drivelly scripts under the watchful eye of Mr Hamhead and Greg Wallace. "Scriptwriting doesn't get tougher than this!"
wideford
1086 posts

Feb 01, 2011, 22:43
mica etc

[Oh and we saw some 'rock hard quartz' what other hardness would quartz have?[/quote]
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Feb 02, 2011, 23:01
summerlands wrote:
Oh my, I have such a ridiculous crush on that guy!

He was a couple of years below me at Primary School in a West of Scotland town. Looked just like the rest of us scabby kids. No fancy, shiny long hair then!
Bumped intae him in a park just a few years back. We were standing next to one other, each pushing our respective kid on their swing.
Funny old world.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 02, 2011, 23:14
Feb 02, 2011, 23:05
Howburn Digger wrote:
summerlands wrote:
Oh my, I have such a ridiculous crush on that guy!

He was a couple of years below me at Primary School in a West of Scotland town. Looked just like the rest of us scabby kids. No fancy, shiny long hair then!
Bumped intae him in a park just a few years back. We were standing next to one other, each pushing our respective kid on their swing.
Funny old world.

Hahaha! He seems pretty grounded to me though I have to admit it was refreshing to watch the Moon programme last night, presented by a space scientist who just happened to be A Woman!
summerlands
192 posts

Feb 03, 2011, 11:34
Oooh the shiny hair.....

Honestly I can't tell you how exciting History of Scotland was in this house!! ;-)

And I thought the presenter on the Do We Really Need the Moon was a breath of fresh air too - found her very engaging! (although even she couldn't stop me nodding off half way through - note to self, don't try to start watching anything you really want to see after 10pm :-S )
CARL
511 posts

Feb 07, 2011, 07:56
On this Wednesday 9.00pm BBC2 - four episodes.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 09:36
And not only do we have TV progs on the subject but a real-live 3d model of an inflatable Stonehenge trilithon coming your way soon!
(You will be searched for pins of course)

To celebrate the new BBC Two series on the Ancient Britons, a Stonehenge model is touring the UK.

English Heritage experts are helping BBC Hands on History make the most of a new BBC Two TV series, 'A History of Ancient Britain', scheduled to start on 9 February.

They are pulling out all the stops to get an inflatable scale model of one Stonehenge trilithon (two uprights and a lintel) as accurate as possible before it goes on a whistle-stop tour of five city centre shopping centres from 21-25 February.

English Heritage policy researchers, archaeological investigators, surveyors and historians have all been keen to join forces and investigate a variety of archived information, including 3D data from a previous survey of the monument in 1993, old plans and photos of the 1958 re-erection, in order to supply correct dimensions.
Others have also helped to supply images, information and check details for a series of popular, jointly branded learning resources as part of an ongoing partnership between BBC Learning and English Heritage Education.

Resources on the Normans went down well at English Heritage properties last year and prehistory timelines and group activity guides are currently being handed out free of charge to families and learning groups visiting Stonehenge.

All these can also be downloaded from the BBC Hands on History website where teachers, parents and students can also find events, a map of sites to visit, animations featuring the Hands on History mini-time traveller, Eric and more.

The Stonehenge road show will challenge families to help solve the mystery of how the stones were moved and also feature interpretation boards and an interactive mini drama led by historical interpreters. It is scheduled to visit shopping centres in five locations from 11.00am - 15.30pm:

•Monday 21 February: Queen’s Arcade, Cardiff
•Tuesday 22 February: thecentre:mk, Middleton Hall, Milton Keynes
•Wednesday 23 February: Swindon Designer Outlet
•Thursday 24 February: Westfield Derby
•Friday 25h February: MetroCentre, Gateshead

http://www.wired-gov.net/wg/wg-news-1.nsf/0/1D89B94912EA7F23802578300053FB68?OpenDocument
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index