Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: A History of Ancient Britain
Feb 08, 2011, 09:43
moss wrote:

The Stonehenge road show will challenge families to help solve the mystery of how the stones were moved and also feature interpretation boards and an interactive mini drama led by historical interpreters. It is scheduled to visit shopping centres in five locations from 11.00am - 15.30pm:

•Monday 21 February: Queen’s Arcade, Cardiff
•Tuesday 22 February: thecentre:mk, Middleton Hall, Milton Keynes
•Wednesday 23 February: Swindon Designer Outlet
•Thursday 24 February: Westfield Derby
•Friday 25h February: MetroCentre, Gateshead

http://www.wired-gov.net/wg/wg-news-1.nsf/0/1D89B94912EA7F23802578300053FB68?OpenDocument

Thanks for that Moss, I see there is one a 15 minute walk from where I live .. I'll wander along.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 10:22
I’m now convinced that English Heritage has a Whacky Ideas Department. First a time-capsule for Silbury, a kiddies’ book on Stonehenge full of errors, and now an inflatable trilithon coming your way soon! Gawd... I have an image of the local jobos somewhere pulling the plug on said inflatable and the thing taking off over the town making a rude sound.

See one of them’s going to Milton Keynes though; if the weather’s fine maybe they could site it in the field along with the concrete cows and inflate it with concrete methane. Maybe I shouldn’t have said that – someone in EH might take it seriously ;-)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 10:28
Littlestone wrote:
I’m now convinced that English Heritage has a Whacky Ideas Department. First a time-capsule for Silbury, a kiddies’ book on Stonehenge full of errors, and now an inflatable trilithon coming your way soon! Gawd... I have an image of the local jobos somewhere pulling the plug on said inflatable and the thing taking off over the town making a rude sound.

See one of them’s going to Milton Keynes though; if the weather’s fine maybe they could site it in the field along with the concrete cows and inflate it with concrete methane. Maybe I shouldn’t have said that – someone in EH might take it seriously ;-)

Not unlikely , Milton Keynes has quite a "pagan heritage " , a Midsummer Boulevard which is almost aligned on the solstice and the "tree cathedral ".
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 10:32
Not to mention their very own stone circle...

http://www.amanita-photolibrary.co.uk/photo_library/Milton_Keynes/gb00_stone_circle_willan_milton_keynes2.htm
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 10:38
Wish they'd spent the money on an inflatable obelisk and erected it once a year at Avebury. That would have been cool.

The nearest exhibition to me is quite a long way and my battery is playing up so I might have to go by car.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Feb 08, 2011, 10:48
Feb 08, 2011, 10:46
Wish they'd spent the money on an inflatable obelisk and erected it once a year at Avebury. That would have been cool.

Now that really is a very sensible idea. Actually, forget the inflatable bit and go back to the foam henge concept (would need somewhere to keep it most of the time but the Great Barn has enough room for it to go on permanent display there.) Stukeley even has a good illustration of it so we wouldn’t be working completely blind.

Funnily enough, my battery went flat yesterday – got a good friend to drive us out though.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 10:53
Well it's not a new idea. Someone - might have been Mike Pitts - talked about it. So did I, donkeys years ago. It's obviously needed. Think of the photo ops, and the shadow and the sight line research!

I even went so far as going through NTs Bylaws - which as you know are stricter than prison - and concluded that if you did it temporarily they couldn't have you for it!
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 10:59
ocifant wrote:

I imagine a few beards and chiffon in the local council planning .
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 11:57
PS, it was Terence Meaden. I think he actually did it though I don't know any more than that.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 12:03
nigelswift wrote:
Well it's not a new idea. Someone - might have been Mike Pitts - talked about it. So did I, donkeys years ago. It's obviously needed. Think of the photo ops, and the shadow and the sight line research!

You don't need a replic to do that , the problem in both cases would be the correct estimation of the height .
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index