Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: A History of Ancient Britain
Feb 08, 2011, 12:03
nigelswift wrote:
Well it's not a new idea. Someone - might have been Mike Pitts - talked about it. So did I, donkeys years ago. It's obviously needed. Think of the photo ops, and the shadow and the sight line research!

You don't need a replic to do that , the problem in both cases would be the correct estimation of the originals height .
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 12:11
nigelswift wrote:
PS, it was Terence Meaden. I think he actually did it though I don't know any more than that.

Yes, yonks ago for C4 I think. It wasn’t really a replica of the Obelisk (though the height and size had been replicated as closely as possible). Can’t remember exactly what it was made of – a wooden frame covered with something maybe?
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 14:07
Littlestone wrote:
I’m now convinced that English Heritage has a Whacky Ideas Department. First a time-capsule for Silbury, a kiddies’ book on Stonehenge full of errors, and now an inflatable trilithon coming your way soon! Gawd... I have an image of the local jobos somewhere pulling the plug on said inflatable and the thing taking off over the town making a rude sound.

See one of them’s going to Milton Keynes though; if the weather’s fine maybe they could site it in the field along with the concrete cows and inflate it with concrete methane. Maybe I shouldn’t have said that – someone in EH might take it seriously ;-)

Looking at the venues of the road show I note that some of them are places that may have large populations of families - would it be possible that the Stonehenge Road Show is being undertaken in the spirit of education and engaging the imagination of children.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 16:32
Haha! I thought you were having a laugh! Inflatable trilithon??? I'm sure it's a nice idea to get families involved in solving Stonehenge's mysteries (well, everyone else has had a go, so why not the kids? :D ) but a full-size inflatable trilithon??? Brilliant!

As for Milton Keynes - what with it's Avebury & Silbury Boulevards - why, it's the most logical place for the roadshow! :D

Actually, it should be nice for the kids... I'll stop being so cynical.

Inflatable trilithon???

Stop it.

G x
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Feb 08, 2011, 16:48
Feb 08, 2011, 16:47
All hell would be let lose if it were an inflatable Kaaba, Wailing wall, etc etc. But nah... the fact that the trilithons might actually have spiritual meaning for many seems to have gone over the heads of English Heritage (again).
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 17:26
Well I dunno about that, I'm sure pagans can take a joke, and anyway I hear they're gonna educate the kids with an inflatable Jesus next year.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Feb 08, 2011, 18:34
Feb 08, 2011, 18:33
nigelswift wrote:
Well I dunno about that, I'm sure pagans can take a joke, and anyway I hear they're gonna educate the kids with an inflatable Jesus next year.

The cult of Jesus is already inflated enough imho ;-)
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 18:39
Now that I WOULD go and see! :D

Nah, it's all good, isn't it? Raising awareness and ask that... I just thought the inflatable religion was amusing! :)

Imagine if it broke free of it's tether on a windy day... That'd get the wacked out conspiracy theorists patting themselves on the back! "See? Levitation!" ;)

G x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 18:48
Big job, blowing them up. Unless they're automatic like Delboy's dolls. Imagine them inflating on the bus....

I read someone saying recently (Mike Pitts?) there are a couple of surviving Foamhenge sarsens.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 20:43
goffik wrote:
Now that I WOULD go and see! :D

Nah, it's all good, isn't it? Raising awareness and ask that... I just thought the inflatable religion was amusing! :)

Imagine if it broke free of it's tether on a windy day... That'd get the wacked out conspiracy theorists patting themselves on the back! "See? Levitation!" ;)

G x

It’s been done before though, with Merlin mysteriously transporting Stonehenge from Ireland. Astonishing to think that four and a half thousand years later the idea’s still around.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index