The Pagan 'problem'

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Re: The Pagan 'problem'
Sep 17, 2010, 10:56
Oh god, don't get me started on the National Forest. Thousands of trees - no skills to maintain them. Just the trees going in - no other (associated) woodland species, beyond the occasional primrose and wild daffodil. No fungi, micro-invertertebrates, lichen. The birds will find their way in, but the grasses? (Never). National Plantation, more like ...
moss
moss
2897 posts

Sep 17, 2010, 12:42
StoneGloves wrote:
Oh god, don't get me started on the National Forest. Thousands of trees - no skills to maintain them. Just the trees going in - no other (associated) woodland species, beyond the occasional primrose and wild daffodil. No fungi, micro-invertertebrates, lichen. The birds will find their way in, but the grasses? (Never). National Plantation, more like ...

It may not be the same as what went before but the national forest is something for the good is'nt it? The seed bank is already probably in the soil as well. I've watched it planted in Somerset along the slopes of the downs, as the farmers plant up the fields, then they have to erect tall wire metal fencing to keep deer out, young saplings and tree guards are planted...
Thread seems to have gone astray on paganism and the pope but I'm sure some of the trees will outlast either ;)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Sep 17, 2010, 13:22
Thread seems to have gone astray on paganism and the pope...

In the time-honoured tradition of TMA thread subversion - tsk is nothing sacred ;-)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Sep 17, 2010, 14:49
Sep 17, 2010, 13:40
The Sea Cat wrote:
Bright Blessings & Aum to All:

http://www.amergin.net/songofamergin.html

:-)

Quite! That sounds good and pagan to me. TSC I just read your excellent post about the origins of the Church of Rome over on the U-Know! forum. There is much to be said about the Pope, not just this one (but yes)- also throughout the centuries of indoctrination, suppression and the misuse of power - I speak as one that was taught not to question His authority as he was infallible. Fortunately, I grew up, broke the chains and freed my mind.

Fundamentalism is something to be avoided where ever it is coming from though; as much as I want to like Richard Dawkins I find his dogmatic brand of atheism dispiriting - I end up wanting to say "yes I know, can you stop shouting now".

Edit: I seem to be an hour behind everyone else so am answering your post before you actually made it ... clever eh!.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Sep 17, 2010, 13:49

tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Sep 17, 2010, 13:55
tjj wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:

Quite! That sounds good and pagan to me. TSC I just read your excellent post about the origins of the Church of Rome over on the U-Know! forum. There is much to be said about the Pope, not just this one (but yes)- also throughout the centuries of indoctrination, suppression and the misuse of power - I speak as one that was taught not to question His authority as he was infallible. Fortunately, I grew up, broke the chains and freed my mind.

Fundamentalism is something to be avoided where ever it is coming from though; as much as I want to like Richard Dawkins I find his dogmatic brand of atheism dispiriting - I end up wanting to say "yes I know, can you stop shouting now".

Edit: I seem to be an hour behind everyone else so am answering your post before you actually made it ... clever eh!.

Bump! Due to time warp.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 17, 2010, 14:42
The Sea Cat wrote:
Thanks tjj.

You're right. Dawkins is very much a fundamentalist. It's all fish-in-barrels with him. He is incapable of understanding that 'God' ie. a ficitious judaeo/christian/islamic anthropormorphic 'male' figure in the sky, is an entirely and totally unnecessary, vastly over simplistic view of spirituality/gnosis etc, be it western hermetic or eastern in tradition. His argument stands purely on the 'god' concept. Beyond that, he is utterly out of his depth and has nothing to say.

Agree folks , there are many atheists who can't stand him too .
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Sep 17, 2010, 16:20
Sep 17, 2010, 15:14
Not forgetting of course -

Benedict is well known to have a special dislike of “paganism”. In a previous encyclical letter, SPE SALVI, On Christian Hope (1997) he asserts that Catholicism offers more hope for the future than polytheism with its “contradictory myths” -

“Paul reminds the Ephesians that before their encounter with Christ they were “without hope and without God in the world” (Eph 2:12). Of course he knew they had had gods, he knew they had had a religion, but their gods had proved questionable, and no hope emerged from their contradictory myths. Notwithstanding their gods, they were “without God” and consequently found themselves in a dark world, facing a dark future …”

...and...

In the new encyclical he returns to his criticism of paganism, this time citing its particular reverence for Nature –

“…it is contrary to authentic development to view nature as something more important than the human person. This position leads to attitudes of neo-paganism or a new pantheism — human salvation cannot come from nature alone, understood in a purely naturalistic sense…”

Rest here -
http://heritageaction.wordpress.com/2009/07/10/pope-warns-against-paganism/?preview=true&preview_id=3722&preview_nonce=dbcae9dae6
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Sep 17, 2010, 15:39
Sep 17, 2010, 15:16
Thanks tjj.

You're right. Dawkins is very much a fundamentalist. It's all fish-in-barrels with him. He is incapable of understanding that 'God' ie. a ficitious judaeo/christian/islamic anthropormorphic ('male') figure in the sky, is an entirely and totally unnecessary, vastly over simplistic view of spirituality/gnosis etc, be it western hermetic or eastern in tradition. His argument stands purely on the 'god' concept. Beyond that, he is utterly out of his depth and has nothing to say.

StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Sep 17, 2010, 15:58
'If Dawkins didn't exist it would probably be necessary to invent him'.
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index