Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Chamber pillar a fossil tree trunk?
Jun 14, 2009, 14:16
Michael Bott wrote:
Hi folks

long time since Rupert or I posted here but it just struck me that many of you will by now have seen our DVD 'Standing with Stones'. But there is one bit of it that hasn't really had a good airing, and maybe it should - that is Rupert's 'discovery' of the fossil tree trunk in the chamber at Bryn Celli Ddu. We really would like to get some feedback on this and see if anyone out there can either confirm our assertion or give an authoritative alternative explanation of the oddity of that free standing pillar. Let me explain what happened:

When filming 'Standing with Stones', during our second week away on our Wales/Ireland expedition, we came to Bryn Celli Ddu on Anglesey. As was our routine, we first took ourselves there to do our preliminary recce. I had been there before - for Rupert it was a first time. Those of you familiar with this site will know that it is a large passage grave with a large central burial chamber. In that chamber is unusually, a single monolith - a pillar of stone.

We were in the chamber - me quietly thinking about camera angles and Rupert mulling how he could present this wonderful complex site, when he suddenly spoke to me and drew my attention to something so ridiculous and yet once seen so blindingly obvious that we were both genuinly shocked. We were shocked because lord knows how many people have passed through that little chamber and yet what we were suddenly seeing has been completely missed by everybody. We have looked high and low through all the literature, books, websites and blogs that mention this site. Nobody has seen something right in front of their faces that just doesn’t make any sense.

We were so taken aback by the implications of what we’d seen that instead writing script to shoot the next day, we decided we needed time to mull over this anomaly and we took off to Ireland instead - planning to film the Bryn Celli Ddu sequence on our return.

Here is the clip on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IubRw2ko69U

There are also a couple of photos of us with the pillar here: http://standingstones.tv/2008/07/15/shoot-diary-bryn-celli-ddu/

You’ll notice in the clip that Rupert says that “He came here yesterday” which you now know is not true. But it makes the point and is more succinct than “I came here ten days ago and I’ve been on a round trip through Ireland since in order to work out what I’m going to say next”

There have not been any experts gone to check the pillar as yet and we’d really like an expert second opinion on our interpretation of this little conundrum.

Anybody?

Michael

I hope no one minds me bringing this thread back up ..... it sort of captured my imagination and I was wondering if any definite conclusion had been reached.

I saw an impressive fossilised tree trunk at the Pit Rivers museum in Oxford yesterday, taken from Jurassic forest in Madagascar and according to the brass plaque "the original wood has been replaced by silica (SiO2) which turned it into stone," it was 200,000,000 years old. However, the museum information didn't tell us how long the fossil had been a rock when it was found.

Such a time span is quite a hard concept to grasp and I mention it as there was some suggestion that in certain conditions wood could solidify in a much shorter time ...... (though I think I may have been somewhat naive in my own small contribution to this discussion).

tjj
tonyh
247 posts

Jun 14, 2009, 15:06
tjj wrote:
Michael Bott wrote:
Hi folks

long time since Rupert or I posted here but it just struck me that many of you will by now have seen our DVD 'Standing with Stones'. But there is one bit of it that hasn't really had a good airing, and maybe it should - that is Rupert's 'discovery' of the fossil tree trunk in the chamber at Bryn Celli Ddu. We really would like to get some feedback on this and see if anyone out there can either confirm our assertion or give an authoritative alternative explanation of the oddity of that free standing pillar. Let me explain what happened:

When filming 'Standing with Stones', during our second week away on our Wales/Ireland expedition, we came to Bryn Celli Ddu on Anglesey. As was our routine, we first took ourselves there to do our preliminary recce. I had been there before - for Rupert it was a first time. Those of you familiar with this site will know that it is a large passage grave with a large central burial chamber. In that chamber is unusually, a single monolith - a pillar of stone.

We were in the chamber - me quietly thinking about camera angles and Rupert mulling how he could present this wonderful complex site, when he suddenly spoke to me and drew my attention to something so ridiculous and yet once seen so blindingly obvious that we were both genuinly shocked. We were shocked because lord knows how many people have passed through that little chamber and yet what we were suddenly seeing has been completely missed by everybody. We have looked high and low through all the literature, books, websites and blogs that mention this site. Nobody has seen something right in front of their faces that just doesn’t make any sense.

We were so taken aback by the implications of what we’d seen that instead writing script to shoot the next day, we decided we needed time to mull over this anomaly and we took off to Ireland instead - planning to film the Bryn Celli Ddu sequence on our return.

Here is the clip on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IubRw2ko69U

There are also a couple of photos of us with the pillar here: http://standingstones.tv/2008/07/15/shoot-diary-bryn-celli-ddu/

You’ll notice in the clip that Rupert says that “He came here yesterday” which you now know is not true. But it makes the point and is more succinct than “I came here ten days ago and I’ve been on a round trip through Ireland since in order to work out what I’m going to say next”

There have not been any experts gone to check the pillar as yet and we’d really like an expert second opinion on our interpretation of this little conundrum.

Anybody?

Michael

I hope no one minds me bringing this thread back up ..... it sort of captured my imagination and I was wondering if any definite conclusion had been reached.

I saw an impressive fossilised tree trunk at the Pit Rivers museum in Oxford yesterday, taken from Jurassic forest in Madagascar and according to the brass plaque "the original wood has been replaced by silica (SiO2) which turned it into stone," it was 200,000,000 years old. However, the museum information didn't tell us how long the fossil had been a rock when it was found.

Such a time span is quite a hard concept to grasp and I mention it as there was some suggestion that in certain conditions wood could solidify in a much shorter time ...... (though I think I may have been somewhat naive in my own small contribution to this discussion).

tjj

Fossilized Trees have been found from the pleistocene period.
Here they talk of 10,000 to 40,000 years

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:7qPQ4lccxc8J:sci.tech-archive.net/pdf/Archive/sci.archaeology/2009-02/msg00585.pdf+pleistocene+tree+fossils&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Tony
sleeptowin
sleeptowin
114 posts

Oct 12, 2009, 17:02
me and my girlfreind went to view this while in Anglesey last week, and while it does look like it is wood on the front, the back of the pillar doesnt . The cut marks do look man made, but when you look around in there a lot of the stone inside the chamber looks the same, with cut marks and wood grain.

i took some close up pictures but i havent got around to sorting them out yet.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Oct 12, 2009, 17:14
Yeah, we went there in July and I thought the same. There is a stone at the entrance that has the same striated, bark-like texture, but it is far from tree-shaped. Still, that doesn't remove the possibility that it was placed the because it looked like a tree trunk.
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

Oct 12, 2009, 19:53
The differences are very subtle and certainly could be why they have been missed before or that I am wrong (if you see what I mean).
If you look around the vicinity of BCD there are a lot of rocks with these 'cut marks' some of them still have their inclusions where calcite crystals have formed. Woody textures also often appear in a variety of rocks.
The main reasons I think the pillar is different are that the 'cuts' are very untidy for this type of crystal inclusion, and the different woody textures (of bark and exposed grain) appear on all sides. They couldn't have been cut and a natural cylindrical pillar with those textures would be even more extraordinary.

I hope that makes some kind of sense. Trying to avoid paragraphs of rambling after a few glasses of red
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Oct 12, 2009, 20:05
Oct 12, 2009, 20:04
If someone put it in there, it doesnt actually matter what it really is, just what it looked like to them. If it quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, and tastes good in an hoi sin sauce, it may as well be duck.

So if you come from a culture that revers something in a certain way, and you find something that is like it, you place it in a reverential setting. By your own customs.

If a celt found it buried, and celts practiced shaft burials and sacrifices, they might connect it to those practices and see it as sacred. Never mind if it is wood, they think it's wood, turned to stone by the gods, maybe. So yeah, they can see its old, so place it in the oldest known place of the ancestors you can think of, give it back, so to speak.

The upturned tree at Seahenge, by the way. Surely the first time Time Team didn't leap on a lurid "sacrifice" theme, but did it come up it might have been a shaft burial? Was it ruled out? That would have made it a place with remains underneath, and would have different rules governing it maybe??
moss
moss
2897 posts

Oct 12, 2009, 20:21
Rupert Soskin wrote:
The differences are very subtle and certainly could be why they have been missed before or that I am wrong (if you see what I mean).
If you look around the vicinity of BCD there are a lot of rocks with these 'cut marks' some of them still have their inclusions where calcite crystals have formed. Woody textures also often appear in a variety of rocks.
The main reasons I think the pillar is different are that the 'cuts' are very untidy for this type of crystal inclusion, and the different woody textures (of bark and exposed grain) appear on all sides. They couldn't have been cut and a natural cylindrical pillar with those textures would be even more extraordinary.

I hope that makes some kind of sense. Trying to avoid paragraphs of rambling after a few glasses of red

This idea was fascinating at the time, a 'first' stone, and maybe just a tree..there is another named stone tree on TMA....http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/2259/stone_of_the_tree.html

Can't remember its folklore think Michael Dame wrote about it in Sacred Ireland..
baza
baza
1308 posts

Edited Oct 12, 2009, 21:53
Oct 12, 2009, 21:47
moss wrote:
..there is another named stone tree on TMA....

I know of yet another; in south London !

It's called the Wood Stone:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/6999/tooting_bec_common_stone.html
Branwen
824 posts

Oct 19, 2009, 20:56
I wonder if this adds another aspect to the popularity of jet objects from the bronze age. Before you work it you can often quite clearly se the woodgrain.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Oct 25, 2009, 00:12
Calling Branwen, re jet
Oct 24, 2009, 23:36
Branwen wrote:
I wonder if this adds another aspect to the popularity of jet objects from the bronze age. Before you work it you can often quite clearly se the woodgrain.

I gained an insight into your statement above today Branwen as attended a lecture about jewellery in the neolithic and bronze age. We were shown a slide of a jet spacer-plate necklace found in south west Scotland and jet beads found in north east Scotland. I was wondering if you could add more to this subject.
Thanks in advance for any info.

june
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index