Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: Chamber pillar a fossil tree trunk?
May 13, 2009, 21:05
they did say they are not experts.
Did you notice the smaller piece when you were there?
PeteG
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

May 13, 2009, 22:54
I like the sound of the 'ragged rascals' and always warm towards people who qualify their knowledge and enthusiasm with the words 'we're no experts'.

Anyway, this got me on the trail of igneous rock and I discovered that obsidian, which was highly sought after and widely traded for axe heads, belongs to this group.

Lots about rocks here:

http://geology.com/rocks/metamorphic-rocks.shtml

Rupert asked yesterday if I had found or bought my piece of fossilized wood; I bought it in a crystal shop, it is very beautiful and I (carefully) handle it often .....

Sorry, I have digressed slightly, fascinating thread, of great interest.
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

May 13, 2009, 23:19
I'm not sure exactly which stone they are referring to, Mike and I noticed quite a few woody looking pieces but they were definitely all rock. So maybe I missed it...dunno:-)
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

May 13, 2009, 23:36
http://www.megalithics.com/wales/brynceli/celnicl.htm

this one.

I'll ask Rob what he thinks about it,
PeteG
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

May 13, 2009, 23:47
I agree with you on all counts. The Ragged Rascals sound a great bunch and I think most of us agree that 'expert' tends to mean someone who thinks they know everything worth knowing (that's slightly kinder than Julian's comments in TMA!).

The biggest problem ( IMHO ) with fossil wood is that it it is no longer wood, if you see what I mean. Having turned to stone it will erode accordingly so harsh conditions and greater age will make it harder and harder to recognise. All great fun, and I'm very happy to be wrong. I just want to know.

The reason I asked whether you had found or bought your piece was that if you had found it you could have said where. If you know where it came from you can sometimes get a better idea of possible species. Or were you really lucky and bought it from a shop that gave it a nice provenance sticker?
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

May 13, 2009, 23:50
That'll be a 'no' then. Don't remember that. Obviously all overcome by the experience.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Chambered pillocks
May 14, 2009, 06:02
"though I expect Nigel and LS will come ranting in"

Wot, when "Achievable Stonehenge" is about to be delivered in full?!
Nah, I'm delighted that what nearly every heritage and archaeology body has been recommending for years is finally going to happen.

Even EH say in their press release they're "delighted" (despite the fact they fought tooth and claw to avoid it for years) so absolutely everyone's a winner!

So huzzah for everyone and huzzah for the stones, safe at last!

Now where's the rant in that? ;)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited May 14, 2009, 06:09
Re: Chambered pillocks
May 14, 2009, 06:08
"can you imagine actually being there without the eternal buzz of traffic? Hope it happens before deafness does the job for me."

Now there's a brilliant idea Rupert. Free ear plugs for all visitors and the A303 is virtually eliminated at a stroke!
tomwatts
376 posts

May 14, 2009, 19:48
Probably too soon to ask what type of tree it could be, but can we tell what it cant be?
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

May 14, 2009, 21:28
I think the most likely candidates are birch or oak. It definitely won't be Sassafras :-)
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index