Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited May 13, 2009, 09:16
Re: Chamber pillar a fossil tree trunk?
May 13, 2009, 08:58
Okay leaving the practical aside for one moment and exploring another avenue... if this is a fossilised tree/stone? Why is it here within a tomb... first of all is'nt it near the route of the Irish into Wales, colonists as well, and of course the 'sacred' tree that sits at the heart of the celtic settlements. There's a big time gap, but mythology floats down through the ages and if other tombs were decorated in particular fashions you may have the People of the Tree, like you have the People of the Sun/ammonite at Stoney Littleton.. there is another named stone at Lough Gur, which had at one time resided at the bottom of the lake there..Michael Dames - Sacred Ireland has the story...

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/2259/stone_of_the_tree.html
Rockrich
Rockrich
448 posts

May 13, 2009, 09:06
For the cuts, have you considered animal claw marks prior to petrifaction (if the stone turns out to be that).

Now you'll need a bit of imagination with this link, its the best I could find to demonstrate the point, lol. The first Chihuahua is a mouse (or something) hiding in the split trunk, the second Chihuahua (white one) is a hunter chasing it (what was around these parts 20m years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibv07AMK09A
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 13, 2009, 09:49
So are you saying there might be a fossilised chihuaha in there? Cool!
jimit
jimit
1053 posts

May 13, 2009, 10:25
Slightly OT but what is the plugin required to see the RealVR panos?
Firefox tells me to search for it.
Jim.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

May 13, 2009, 10:32
Moth wrote:
Of course it's gonna depend on the kind of tree & all sorts of other stuff anyway - after all, none of those pics look much like each other either...

God yes - you just gotta look somewhere like here for a wide variety:
http://images.google.co.uk/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&q=fossilised%20tree%20trunk&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Lots of different looking ones there. Some actually not dissimilar to the possible one we're talking about!

G x
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Chambered pillocks
May 13, 2009, 12:43
I've a computer in pieces - so just an intermittent connection - I've consequently only skimmed this topic.

There weren't trees around to fossilise - not as we know them. They were ferns - and are known as tree ferns. They produced the coal deposits which underlie northern england. They look like trees, as fossils. Ancient people knew about them and we have speculated here previosly as to what their beliefs may have cartegorised them as. I've a broken axe head that has been chipped from a fossilised bit of tree fern, which is recorded, so it's nothing new. Just a different scale. An amber is technically a fossil too - we know that was made into beads.

Getting conventional archaeologists to accept anything different is a task for masochists, perhaps.
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

Re: Chambered pillocks
May 13, 2009, 14:05
Does anyone else want to answer this... or shall I do it?
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

May 13, 2009, 14:35
cos I might get a teensy bit boring:-)
sleeptowin
sleeptowin
114 posts

May 13, 2009, 14:39
Rupert Soskin wrote:
cos I might get a teensy bit boring:-)

answer away, id be interested in reading it.
im new to a lot of this stuff so its all interesting to me.
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

May 13, 2009, 16:01
Tree Ferns like Lepidodendron make up the bulk of our coal seams laid down in the carboniferous period about 300 million years ago. Angiosperms - Flowering Plants and more modern types of tree started coming in during the cretaceous about 130 million years ago.

Fossil angiosperms are quite common in Tertiary rocks of SE England (Tertiary period started about 60 million years ago). As a good pointer for northern Europe it's worth bearing in mind that most of the fossil amber you see around the place comes from Tertiary rocks in the Baltic, roughly between 25 - 55 million years old. Amber, of course, is the fossilized resin from coniferous trees like pines.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index