Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Painter, painting megalithic site!
Oct 10, 2006, 07:35
CianMcLiam wrote:
The fence is around the group of kerbstones exposed on the east, K51 and the one on either side,

Really? Ouch!

CianMcLiam wrote:
it was replaced last year sometime when they replaced all the fencing around the two entrances and it really uglies up the view of dowth from this side.

Eeww! " fencing around the two entrances"? Really? Anyone got any pictures of this lot? I'll have to pop up on Saturday afternoon.

CianMcLiam wrote:
You must be using a TFT screen? The mound is almost pure black on my crt but I can see the fence just about if I tilt the laptop screen a bit.

The beauty of Macs and digital monitors :-) It's easy to see why folks use 'em for graphics and suchlike.
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Oct 10, 2006, 08:51
FourWinds wrote:

Really? Ouch!

Yep, its been there a few years now, it got pretty trampled so they replaced it last year with an even bigger and uglier fence.
The tree is actually getting way out of hand, its a pity thety didnt remove it from behind kerbstone 51 while they were doing all the other work

FourWinds wrote:

Eeww! " fencing around the two entrances"? Really? Anyone got any pictures of this lot? I'll have to pop up on Saturday afternoon.

Its the same fencing that was always there, between the south entrance and the garden with all the tall trees, they just beefed it up a bit. They haven't put fencing around the entrances themselves (yet) thank god.

FourWinds wrote:

The beauty of Macs and digital monitors :-) It's easy to see why folks use 'em for graphics and suchlike.

Ah I see, my monitor is closely calibrated to the Fuji Frontier printers most of the time so it is probably quite a bit darker than most, I'll have to start saving photos for web on my laptop. TFT's drive me mad, its impossible to tell what angle it should be tilted to give proper brightness/contrast.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 10, 2006, 09:05
CianMcLiam wrote:
Its the same fencing that was always there, between the south entrance and the garden with all the tall trees, they just beefed it up a bit. They haven't put fencing around the entrances themselves (yet) thank god.

Thank god indeed. I was in a real panic there for a mo.

I didn't realise 51 was fenced in at all, let alone 'for years'. I like the big tree. It adds character, but must be doing damage. The little tree by 51 should go, though.

I often considered going along with a socket set in hand and seeing to the old grill/cage thing ... but that would've been very wrong!
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Oct 10, 2006, 09:51
I like the big tree there too, its nice an picturesque, the one behind kerbstone 51 is an eyesore though...

I've contemplated putting the socket set in the backpack on the way to one or two cairns which have had access made difficult!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 10, 2006, 10:26
CianMcLiam wrote:
I've contemplated putting the socket set in the backpack on the way to one or two cairns which have had access made difficult!

But that would be very wrong ...
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Oct 10, 2006, 10:40
Couldn't condone doing it of course, even putting the bolts back in place wouldn't make it 'right', I'd have to go straight to confession.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Power of Art
Oct 10, 2006, 13:18
Apologies, a bit off topic I'm afraid, but anyone who likes paintings might be interested in the new series beginning on BBC2 on Friday, 20 October at 9pm. Entitled, Power of Art and presented by Simon Schama.

Schama begins the series by saying, Art is a thug lying in wait. It delivers difficult and painful truths, sometimes in ways that nothing else does." Mmm... suppose it can and does do that but, as with music or any other art form, it can also lift the spirit to places it might not otherwise venture.

Looks like an interesting series though - especially with Schama presenting it.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: Power of Art (OT)
Oct 10, 2006, 14:42
Yippee!! I love Simon Schama. Lke me, he has a soft spot for Rembrandt.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Power of Art (OT)
Oct 10, 2006, 15:21
Jane wrote:
Yippee!! I love Simon Schama. Lke me, he has a soft spot for Rembrandt.

Yeah, they're both good. There's a double page feature in the new RadioTimes.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Trevethy Stone
Oct 13, 2006, 10:47
Picked up an engraving of Trevethy Stone on the web last night - dated 1845 so it's probably the one by Charles Knight (there was no accompanying pic but for the princely sum of twenty quid I took a chance). It's hand coloured so it might be a different one - fingers crossed.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index