Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: Two Standing Stones in Dyfed - John Piper
Oct 07, 2006, 20:31
Littlestone wrote:
Jane's going to flip when she gets back and sees what we've been up to. (I feel like a naughty boy with a box of crayons ;-)

Au contraire! I already know about the genius of John Piper and his studies of old stones. I blogged it here:
http://www.janetomlinson.com/journal/index.php?id=176
I still can't find anything about 'stones and bones' :-(
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Two Standing Stones in Dyfed - John Piper
Oct 07, 2006, 21:26

Eeeks! You're ahead of me there Jane :-) Stones and Bones sounds very interesting.

Only stumbled on his view from WKLB today. He seems to be looking slightly to the south because I can't see Silbury at all (though the round barrows on the Ridgeway seem to be visible); that in itself is astonishing. I mean, to swing your angle of view just a bit south and actually exclude Silbury - that's amazing!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Megalithic Paintings
Oct 08, 2006, 09:01
Hopefully it will give him a good source of material for there.

"And hopefully a good source for 'artistic' posts for site pages on this website where appropriate. Or have I missed the point?"

Some will already be here and we can link to them, others will be new to here and can be added as "artistic posts" to here if people want. Either way, its reasonable to puut all megalithic paintings together for those that are interested. it would take forever to search for them site by site.

"Then may I suggest that this topic is combined with 'Megalithic Poems' so the wittering is all in one place."

Hmmm. Sorry you think its wittering. It seems reasonable to think paintings and poetry are big subjects that warrant plenty of space, spread over two threads.

Anyhow, its an innocent little enterprise. Even when the two threads get close to using up as much TMA space as lizards have then I guess they'll still be pretty inoffensive.
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Edited Nov 27, 2006, 09:21
Paul Nash
Oct 08, 2006, 09:26
Paul Nash painted a lot of Megalithic Paintings... mostly based around Avebury. Here's a small selection. Field of Megaliths in Leeds Art Gallery is a beauty if you can find a pic.

http://www.rennart.co.uk/nash.html
whatisthat
255 posts

Edited Oct 08, 2006, 12:07
Oct 08, 2006, 11:47
nigelswift wrote:
It seems reasonable to think paintings and poetry are big subjects that warrant plenty of space, spread over two threads.

I would say 'fairly' big subjects but not the core interests of most users of this site however much it appears so due to one or two very 'vocal' people.

I just have difficulty working out what these topics are meant to be. A resource of poems and paintings? Sorry but forums make very bad databases. An area for critical and informed discussion on poems and paintings? Not what I have observed so far. Most of the Megalithic Poems topic threads seem to be one dimensional 'love-ins' along the lines of:

A>
Check this poem.

Baa baa black sheep
Have you any....
[Illustration only]

B>
That's a lovely poem A.

A>
Thanks B. You're lovely too.

I mean to say, are there any crap poems out there?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Edited Oct 08, 2006, 12:15
Oct 08, 2006, 12:13
Personally I don't read the Poems thread - it doesn't really interest me and it's very easy not to click on the thread. Although old images etc interest me I'll probably not dip into this one once it gets large.

I think whatisthat is right about threads not making good databases. It's good that people are changing the subject lines to aid searching for stuff later on.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Oct 08, 2006, 13:10
Charming.
Why go out of your way to be unpleasant?

So what should I now do? Lock the thread?
Or what?
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Oct 08, 2006, 13:18
Blimey! Where's the harm? I'ts very easy, like the poems one it's very specific so if y're not interested you don't have to look. To be honest, I rarely do but I know plenty of people who do.

Surely if there's a problem with this sorta thing the Eds would've mentioned it on the poetry thread. And yup, messageboard don't make good databases. But some of us aren't capable of making a database, so....

love

Moth
whatisthat
255 posts

Edited Oct 08, 2006, 13:40
Oct 08, 2006, 13:39
Moth wrote:

But some of us aren't capable of making a database, so....

Perhaps a wiki would be better than a forum? Community editable pages that can present poems in a way that can be easily browsed but which will also accommodate the banter and general brain farting.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Oct 08, 2006, 13:58
whatisthat wrote:

Most of the Megalithic Poems topic threads seem to be one dimensional 'love-ins' along the lines of:

A>
Check this poem.

Baa baa black sheep
Have you any....
[Illustration only]

B>
That's a lovely poem A.

A>
Thanks B. You're lovely too.

Jesus H Christ-on-a-bike. If you know you're not going to like a thread then don't read it. Problem solved.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index