This topic is locked

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Re: West Kennet Long Barrow - Thelma Wilcox
Oct 14, 2006, 09:20
The web is full of such images where a meg pic has been 'buggered' about with in photoshop... distorted, colourised etc, some good, some not. It's nothing personal, just not an outstanding example of such images.

The comment wasn't meant to be entirely serious or offensive... and buggery not really meant in a literal sense (a bit disappointing that I need to explain that). Lighten up a bit Littlestone... I don't talk like Brian Sewell.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Oct 14, 2006, 09:25
I have no unique right to say what should be included in this Megalithic Paintings thread and indeed when I posted it I was thinking only of "Paintings". However, Thelma's picture makes me wish I'd given it a wider title. I'm not saying thousands of photoshopped images should be added but hers just happened to have something magical about it. Maybe she didn't mean to do it ;) she seems so modest about it, but to my mind (purely personally) its bosting and I'm glad its here.

Anyhow, I'm reminded of the Lilliputians who went to war over which end of an egg was the right one to open.... can't it just be a thread about paintings and similar arty imagey stuff and can't we all like some stuff more than others? Whassitmatter?
whatisthat
255 posts

Oct 14, 2006, 09:37
nigelswift wrote:
I'm not saying thousands of photoshopped images should be added but hers just happened to have something magical about it.

You may have noticed Nigel that there is a facility on this site for members to upload Megalithic photographs. In fact I was under the impression that this was one of the core features of TMA. Is your topic an alternative to this?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Oct 14, 2006, 09:45
The web is full of such images where a meg pic has been 'buggered' about with in photoshop... distorted, colourised etc, some good, some not. It's nothing personal, just not an outstanding example of such images.

That's what I mean by constructive criticism.

Trouble with this sort of communication (forums) is that we have to be extra careful to spell out what we want to say - the result, if we don't, is unpleasant misunderstandings. For what its worth I like the image, though can't quite put my finger on why. It's certainly something to do with the twisted stone - reminds me of Munch's The Scream. Perhaps that's what it is - some, 5000 years of human history twisted into a single stone.
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Oct 14, 2006, 09:49
Nigel... I'm not raising a question over the picture's right to exist or if it should or shouldn't be included in this particular thread. I was merely saying what I think in a semi-jokey manner. Sorry if I've offended any delicate sensibilities but I'm not going to say "isn't it lovely" if I don't think that.

In my line of work, my artwork gets critisised and pulled apart every day... often by client's who have no real understanding of illustration or design... as frustrating as it maybe, I learned many years ago that it's not personal.
Rockrich
Rockrich
448 posts

Oct 14, 2006, 10:01
Littlestone wrote:
Not entirely sure of the connection between photoshop and buggery - please elucidate. Perhaps you need to spend a little more time with your art teacher - assuming you have one. Meanwhile, perhaps you could refrain from posting images of such mind-boggling numbness such as this -

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/50193.jpg

Or the contrived rubbish that hit my screen when I clicked on this -

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/49952.jpg

Thank you.

Littlestone, just a small point here, but maybe before having a go at other posters TMA contributions you should take a long hard look at your own dismal efforts over the past few years, ie a total of 11 submissions!. I’ve only been around TMA for about a year, but all you seem to contribute is opinions that should be treated as fact & a tendency to belittle other contributors in the quest to expand your own ego.
Rockrich
Rockrich
448 posts

Oct 14, 2006, 10:03
Littlestone wrote:

That's what I mean by constructive criticism.

Trouble with this sort of communication (forums) is that we have to be extra careful to spell out what we want to say - the result, if we don't, is unpleasant misunderstandings. For what its worth I like the image, though can't quite put my finger on why. It's certainly something to do with the twisted stone - reminds me of Munch's The Scream. Perhaps that's what it is - some, 5000 years of human history twisted into a single stone.

Its ok littlestone, nobody will be able to tell you're regretting your post yesterday.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Oct 14, 2006, 10:09
"Nigel... I'm not raising a question over the picture's right to exist or if it should or shouldn't be included in this particular thread. I was merely saying what I think in a semi-jokey manner. "

Absolutely, that's how i took it entirely KK and I certainly don't think you said owt wrong. My posting was not directed at you at all and was purely the result of the atmosphere on the thread having already gone so peculiar (who'd have thought it eh?). (I suspect you may also have got caught up in the backwash from wider storms unfortunately but that's just a guess.)
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Oct 14, 2006, 10:12
What was that about contrived Littlestone?
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Oct 14, 2006, 10:13
As you know Nigel, I'm from Yorkshire and can't let it lie!
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index