Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Lets Blow this Dowsing Lark off Finally!

Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GordonP
474 posts

Re:you want proof?
Apr 05, 2006, 19:35
Don't worry about the bluestones, they are not a problem, all you need is a real boat, no problem.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 19:53
>fluctuations of electromagnetic energy beneath the ground

Could be both. Mebbe that's how the signal reaches the subconscious. So the mechanism (if it exists) is still dependent on the dowser holding the rods/pendulum.

(Heavy emphasis on the mebbe)
The Eternal
924 posts

Re: Lets Blow this Dowsing Lark off Finally!
Apr 05, 2006, 20:19
jshell,
If I understand you, I think you are trying to say that this is a site that is dedicated to discussing the prehistoric, whether that be sites, construction of sites, or the way of life of the people who lived in those times, etc.
Also, and this is the main point, that you wish that the very tiny minority, who constantly subvert the threads, go elsewhere, i.e. somewhere that is more relevent. Somewhere where they won't dilute the pleasure of those who wish to talk about prehistory without the diversion of dowsing, or shite, such as lizards. Somewhere that they can discuss their theories with other like-minded people, as we Modern Antiquarians wish to do.
If that is your case, then I support you.
Well said, and you are perhaps one of the few who have constructively suggested other sites for those people to turn their attentions to.
Regards,
TE.
hamish
hamish
179 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 20:37
One of the strange things is that on those other sites they are recognised for what they are, TROLLS , and they are usually ignored.

H
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Heading OTwards...
Apr 05, 2006, 20:47
Eyup TE, I was gonna comment that you'd maybe change your mind if someone could repeatedly dowse polished axes up the Stickle, but my chain of thought drifted off into absurdity ;)

It's a fair point you're making, but the 'D' word seems to keep cropping up here (npi) due to this alleged connection with the sites, as long as it's site related, it's sorta relevant.

Personally I don't hold much of a candle for the leyline stuff, but am reasonably open minded about the waterdowsing, but that's not relevant to tma. What I'd really want to see is something coming up with similar to that which Nigel suggests above in this thread, as if there's some way to find buried stones, it could come in useful.
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 20:52
Kevin

Could you dowse blindfolded?

If you could follow one of your straight lines (the "serpent" ones would be no good) for say 200 yards securely blindfolded, I'd be pretty convinced that you were onto something. Someone could place markers behind you every 10 yards or so and if at the end they showed no tendency to wander it would be pretty convincing, even if the location was well known to you.

As a control, we could have a few other people try to do it without dowsing and compare the results.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 20:53
>I bet there are long-forgotten stones still hidden in undergrowth or gorse

Withoutadoubt.

That's what's needed Nigel, someone needs to come up with a nice tight Popperian experimental design, one that sets out to disprove. Any finding contrary to disproof could indicate there's something in it.

Badly paraphrasing JBD Haldane: "There are no subjects too unscientific for study, there are only unscientific ways of studying subjects."
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 20:55
Arse!

Why can't I just be right for once? Must be my turn soon! ;o)

Maybe that could be stage 1 of the test: Can the movement occur without ANY human intervention?

I understand the subconscious movement bit - would you attribute the same to, say, a ouija board? I know there's no electomagnetic wotsits involved, but the subconscious desire for the thing to move could be similar... In which case... bleh..? I think I'm trying to suggest that the subconscious movement could be "wishful thinking"...

I could make them rods twitch like that man at Rollright if I wanted a particular answer...

G x
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 21:07
> I will prove beyond any skeptics rose coloured glasses , that a force of energy exists around this planet, and that a former race of mankind knew how to make use of this free to all energy

Excellent! And when you do, see if you can find out what it might have been used for.

Cheers!

G x
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 21:09
>a ouija board

Yeh, reckon they could be connected. Somehow a signal has to be generated somewhere in the brain that ends up as the right sequence of electrical impulses to make the muscles twitch.

Somewhere, there's a megalithic medium who's lost their ouija board in a buried stone circle.
Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index