Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Lets Blow this Dowsing Lark off Finally!

Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re:you want proof?
Apr 05, 2006, 15:05
I reckon that what's needed is for Cropredy to do his bit of dowsing, then get more independent dowsers to also do a bit of dowsing and see if the readings match up.

It's all well and good saying you can do something, but if nobody else can, then proving it will be nigh on impossible!

Can someone hurry up and invent a machine, like a sack-truck with dowsing rods attached, so there's no subconscious movement from the user, and a computer that records the movement of the rods and gives quantifiable results? Cheers!

G x
jacksprat
jacksprat
284 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 15:06
Hello Kev - pleasure, I knew it was local to you so thought it would be worth a look. It's a great secret as no one seems to pay it much attention, even locally.

Personally I think the earthworks were built upon something much older - whether that was a henge or a stone circle I don't know but the landscape is signature to that of the Rollrights; on a plateaued ridge of a valley. Plus the remains of barrows 1500 years before the fort was built indicate the area was frequented, if not inhabited, earlier than the ironage period.

Also the earthworks were fortified with stone. There's no quarry nearby, maybe they broke up whatever was there before. This, of course, is utter conjecture - a romance of mine! I don't suppose there's anyway of proving an earlier site - I just like the idea! .

It's interesting that you pick up such strong signals there though. I often run around there, or walk my mum's dog - it's a very peaceful place and good to chill out there. And the view across the valley to Charlton is beautiful. It's a nice part of the world we live in.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 15:06
Well I am going to take Kevin's side on this, scientific rationalism is all very fine, but in this instance its about one person's belief, he has a right to prove his theory under his terms. It seems to me that there is a bias sometimes on this forum to neatly package everything into its respective box - prove it by the required standardised procedure. That, which is "unprovable", be it ghosts, sacred hills, leylines or Kevin's need to show that he experiences something when he dowses, also has a right to exist as a part of free thought and action. Not very well expressed I know but for all his faults hes put on a brave show against the cynics.....
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 15:12
"he has a right to prove his theory under his terms."
Hmmm. Well I can read cards. Will you drive up here and let me prove it? (Part of my terms are that they have to be face up... ;)

I've no problem with kevin's right to run a demo, I was just explaining why I personally didn't want to invest in the petrol.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 16:15
no subconscious movement?? But shurely that's how dowsing WORKS -(yeah yeah I know you don't believe it works but bear with me) it's not sense data that is perceived by the conscious bit of your brain, but by some unconscious bit - the rods are the method by which you take it from your subconscious and put it where you can see it.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 16:21
Gah! I thought dowsing worked by fluctuations of electromagnetic energy beneath the ground! Or something...

I always remember a dowsing demo at the Rollrights (sorry if I'm repeating meself here!) where the bloke asked his rods "Is there a burial here?" to which his rods replied by rotating clockwise (which he explained meant a positive response).

I saw his ruddy hands moving!

G x
GordonP
474 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 16:42
Hi Kevin
I'm afraid you have about as much chance of proving that dowsing works as I have of proving that the saren stones could not have been dragged to Stonehenge.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 17:10
Hi Gordon

One reason you will never prove that the sarsens could not have been dragged to Stonehenge is because they could have been dragged to Stonehenge. Whether they were is a totally different question :-)

My personal view is that they scale of Stonehenge as opposed to the Great Pyramid for example does not mean it was a necessity to do it any other way. Erecting them with A-frames rather than levers is, once again, a different matter.
GordonP
474 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 18:47
Hi Tom
When someone actually drags a 40 ton stone for a credible distance (say 1/2 a mile in one day) then I'll concede that it might have been possible for Stonehenge to have been achieved that way.

My ambition is to do just that without dragging the stone for even one inch. Then the archaeologists will have to better it.

As regards the Great Pyramid this is a different problem entirely. Here the problem is delivering one fairly heavy stone from the quarry to the pyramid site every two minutes, day in day out for 20 years. I cannot believe this was possible just by muscle power, even allowing for the size of the Egyptian population. So I intend to prove how it might have been possible, thus forcing the archaeologist to prove that dragging the stones was also possible.

Best regards Gordon
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 18:58
And I wish you luck (in a totally non-sarcastic way). I certainly can't picture all the stones being dragged to the pyramids - there's just too many to conceive (it's a bit like contemplating the size of the Universe. The numbers are just too big). I can picture the relatively few stones that formed Stonehenge being dragged there - although I struggle with the blue stones.
Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index