Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Lets Blow this Dowsing Lark off Finally!

Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Re: Heading OTwards...
Apr 05, 2006, 21:11
Thom used to use a bayonet - I prefer a stone-sharpened breadknife. (I'm going to try out a medium Sabatier, as well, this year).
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re:you want proof?
Apr 05, 2006, 21:15
"he has a right to prove his theory under his terms"

Excuse me, but that's total rubbish. Unless he can do it in a way that will convince others it couldn't possibly be called a proof.

Anyway, we are not asking Kevin to PROVE that he can dowse. He has made claims of his ability that ought to be easy to verify, but he has (until now) avoided all invitations to demonstrate it. He claims to be able to follow a leyline (or whatever) over a considerable distance. If such lines are straight (which they are repoprted to be), that would be a very simple test of his ability. All the observers have to do is to ensure that any ways other than dowsing that he might employ are eliminated and then verify the straightness of the line. I have suggested elsewhere on this thread that a secure blindfold would eliminate all the alternative methods that I could think of, unless he has a GPS receiver embedded in his skull.

I have successfully located lost drains by dowsing, so I am not unsympathetic to dowsing per se. The reason I have a problem with Kevin's claims is that they are far more elaborate than anything else I have heard and he tries to use science to justify his results, with very little understanding of what he is talking about. If he would stick to what he does understand and find a way to convince the rest of us, I would be very willing to help investigate any underlying scientific justification.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Re:blindfold
Apr 05, 2006, 21:15
>Could you dowse blindfolded?

I was thinking along those lines Steve. Could it be done out in a field whilst trying to dowse a buried stone? Or would it require a guide to avoid falling into holes, stepping in cowshit etc? 'Cos if it would, that person could be a confounding variable.

It would be interesting to see if any of the input that causes this alleged rod twitching is subconsciously processed visual stimulus.
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 21:18
I was thinking of a nice flat site with no obstructions (if one can be found) so he could wlak confidently in any direction. I might berate Kevin for his hijacking of science, but I wouldn't want the poor fella to hurt himself.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Re: properly OT now...
Apr 05, 2006, 21:19
Y'areet gadgie? :)

You may need that ability if the Metro system can get it's act together and I remember to veer by the chilliflower opposite Dance City.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 21:20
> Somewhere, there's a megalithic medium who's lost their ouija board in a buried stone circle.

Bingo! I reckon you could be onto summat... Hang on... Stone circles... giant ouija boards... big upturned buried urns... Ooer!

G x
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 21:25
>It's not just me

No, but most of it is.

Go and do it Kevin. But do it properly, with all the rigour demanded by modern scientific methodology, but be prepared to modify your hypothesis if the results don't conform with your expectations. If science is done properly, it should be common sense.

Otherwise, you ain't got room to get narked if folk won't believe your ideas. You wouldn't believe me if I told you Rich Tea were Garibaldis, but it's just that everyone else can't see or taste the dried fruit. Would you?
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 21:27
Fair enough. Then any imminent obstructions could be avoided by people calling directions verbally. Sounds good to me.

So a lost ancient stone, buried in a flat field is needed.

There must be one somewhere.
The Eternal
924 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 21:33
'Ow's tha doin' Hob?

>Eyup TE, I was gonna comment that you'd maybe change your mind if someone could repeatedly dowse polished axes up the Stickle, but my chain of thought drifted off into absurdity ;)
It's a fair point you're making, but the 'D' word seems to keep cropping up here (npi) due to this alleged connection with the sites, as long as it's site related, it's sorta relevant.

Good to hear from you.
I've done a bit of dowsing in the past in the back garden. The coat hangers swivelled about like nobodies business. I don't know why, they just did. Now if only I could dowse axes like that.....
I've nowt against dowsing, just the interpretation of it (unproven and ridiculous sounding) by a few people on this site. I don't respond to them. They (you know who I mean) just keep comng back for more, no matter how they are told that their views are irrelevent to this site.
Dowsing itself may well be relevent to this site, but the more obscure opinions aren't. At least when they keep getting rammed down our throats even when others have expressed their disinterest and annoyance.
Keep up the good rock art stuff, and best regards,
TE.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 21:35
>At least when they keep getting rammed down our throats

With you 100% there mon...

I'd like to think it could be time for 'put up or shut up', but somehow I doubt it.
Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index