Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Lets Blow this Dowsing Lark off Finally!

Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Lets Blow this Dowsing Lark off Fina
Apr 05, 2006, 11:52
>> We cannot disprove Einstein's theory of relativity, so for now it stands as one of the best explanations of how nature is.

But Newton and Einstein have been shown to not apply at the very small end of scale and so we have quantum mechanics to supllement them. When I last looked we were still looking for a unified theory.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re:you want proof?
Apr 05, 2006, 11:56
>> I agree Monsuier Crop - he would refute your claims on the basis that you can't prove you can detect something which
>> has not been proven to exist itself ie. ley lines.

Not true really is it. By the very act of detecting something new you are proving the detected thing exists. Think of radiation. As C would be the first to prove this thing exists he could call what he liked. Telly String, The Bees Bollocks, Leylines, whatever.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 11:57
Naw. People who come up with the theory set out to prove it. The people that don't have the theory set out to disprove it :-)
jacksprat
jacksprat
284 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 12:13
>>Not true really is it. By the very act of detecting something new you are proving the detected thing exists. Think of radiation. As C would be the first to prove this thing exists he could call what he liked. Telly String, The Bees Bollocks, Leylines, whatever.

I don't disagree with you, I mean't proven scientifically.
jacksprat
jacksprat
284 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 12:16
The site was the subject of extensive archaelogical research in the sixties and seventies by Oxford University. I've got a book at home 'Charlton & Newbottle - A History of Two Villages', which devotes a chapter to the findings. I'll dig it out tonight and if there's anything relevant I'll post it.
TheBear
TheBear
981 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 12:32
> Naw. People who come up with the theory set out to prove it.

They may or may not... but it doesn't matter because:

> The people that don't have the theory set out to disprove it :-)

by a process called peer review :)

T.C. Chamberlain, 1897: 'The modern scientific method is the systematic disproof of multiple, independent working hypotheses.'
TheBear
TheBear
981 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 12:35
Indeed, Relativity isn't a complete description... but being incomplete doesn't make it wrong. Hopefully both Quantum Mechanics (applicable to the very small) and Relativity (applicable the very large) will be shown to be the two extremes of one unified theory, as you say :)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 13:29
"The witnesses will have to have completely open and unbiased minds and not be prejudiced in anyway!!"

Well that disqualifies me, I'm afraid.
I don't wish to be ungracious but the only test that I would regard as useful would be one that relies upon scientific method, and that would involve eliminating as many alternative explanations for the claimant's explanation as possible. For starters, the location would need to be at an ancient site chosen by others and the test would be best conducted at night in thick fog.

This is not being awkward Kevin, it's attempting to save any success you might have being dismissed by this cynical lot.

But I really think (as I've often said) you should self-test in private first. If you come here and say you've done that, in a rigorous scientific fashion, and it works then people will be more likely to want to see what you can do. I don't recall you saying you've run a proper test yet though.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 14:18
"But , for starters, something simple, straight forward, easily achieved.... if I could demonstrate to you two, to your satisfaction"

but Kevin, we lack your "faith" so if the demo leaves open the possibility of alternative explanations for your success, you will take it as vindication and we will take it as inconclusive, i.e. a bit of a waste of time. It's the way it is I'm afraid. Half a test is no better than none.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 05, 2006, 14:57
Tell you what Kevin, Google "lost stone circle" and see if you can find any of them. I bet there are long-forgotten stones still hidden in undergrowth or gorse. If you find any, people won't say it's proof of dowsing but it'll be a bit of fun and will keep you busy this summer. :)
Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index