Which type of camera do we use?

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Which type of camera do we use?
Dec 01, 2005, 14:27
Don't care what the D70 looks like - love like the incredibly solid & robust 'feel' tho! (Dunno about your one tho - never held one.)

love

Moth
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Dec 01, 2005, 14:56
Fuji M603......would not go back to film now..
it would be very nice to have the option of other lenses etc but I like the fact that I can stick the thing in my pocket as i am out walking...I carry enough crap in my rucksack allready...
You can still pick them up on ebay occasionally...bought one a month ago to have as a spare..
Only draw back...the batteries dont last long in the snow!

Mr H
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Dec 01, 2005, 15:05
I actually found it felt a lot flimsier than I was expecting. I think I was anticipating something a little more metallic. Still, it's all down to personal preference. You'd be hard pushed to find a dSLR that takes a bad picture.
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Nikon D70
Dec 01, 2005, 16:28
At the moment I'm using the D70, it exceeded every expectation I had about it after three or four months agonising over different cameras. I just like Nikons focus on engineering and refusal to compromise to please the spec speculators. I have mine over a year now and am in no great hurry to upgrade though the D200 might be very tempting if the high ISO noise is well controlled.

The body is poly carbonate, which makes it a lot easier to carry over distances, its also very tough and I've seen some withstand some pretty cruel and bruising treatment over the last year with no scratches or rattles. The metering and flash system are what made the sale for me, the matrix metering is truly excellent and above all consistent so I know exactly what it takes to fool it into what I want, I only need to take multiple exposures to ensure I get sharp results. The flash system is really extraordinary, the balancing of colour and exposure never fail to amaze me even when the flash is triggered via infra red, metres away from the camera.

My only gripes are the lack of mirror lock up and high ISO noise, both of which can be overcome with a bit of discipline.

If anyone is considering getting this camera, get the kit kens even if you have lenses, it really is a surprisingly sharp and flexible lens and unless you print above 15"x10" you wont see a difference between it and 'pro-glass' at F8 and normal viewing distance.

IF the D200 is as good as it sounds I will probably upgrade in the new year if someone is interested in buying a great, well-loved secondhand one!
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Dec 01, 2005, 19:47
Haven't any idea about that one, but I always use these reviews, they seem to review digital camera models intensely and thoroughly:

http://dpreview.com

and

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Here's what they say about the dynax (maxxum):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/maxxum5d.html
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Dec 01, 2005, 20:13
The 5D looks like an excellent camera, its big brother, the 7D was almost my choice but the autofocus wasn't really up to scratch for my other life as a wannabe wildlife photog. The fact that every lens has image stablisiation is a huge bonus, having only one LCD panel to see settings and view menus/photos isn't really that big a disadvantage but I know I'd miss it. Seems to be getting mostly very favourable reviews too.
Ishmael
683 posts

Dec 01, 2005, 21:07
yes thats it.
B for Bulb. Plate cameras use an air bulb to release the shutter. If you keep the bulb sqeezed then the shutter stays open.
Most digi's have too much noise to keep the shutter open more than a few seconds.
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Bulb
Dec 01, 2005, 21:25
The D70 does have a bulb setting, the longest shutter speed in manual mode is 30 seconds but if you have a wireless remote (less than 5 quid from Argos) you can click the shutter open in bulb mode and then click it closed again after as long a period as you want. The D70 doesn't have a wired remote or threads for a traditional shutter release so you need the remote.

At ISO 200 the long exposures are fine, a lot of people use ISO 1600 at night but I have no iea why you would do that if you have bulb mode, maybe thats where the noise issue comes from. I have very little trouble with noise at 200 and I have seen very long exposures with the D70 that look fantastic, here's one at 21 minutes! http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=14963640
wolfnighthunter
wolfnighthunter
588 posts

Dec 01, 2005, 21:27
cheers for that.... i have bought every magazine i can find, lol.. still not sure what route to go. At present i have a Konica Minolta Dimage Z3, which is an excellent camera, but i would like to make a step up, just not sure how big a step to make.. I do like the zoom on the Z3 (12x optical 4x digital), though its probably not used to its full zoom as the quality at 48 x is not perfect. i have never had a top range camera, so the changing lenses is something new to me.

any help or advice would be grateful.
wolfnighthunter
wolfnighthunter
588 posts

Dec 01, 2005, 21:30
Hi Cian,

what was it that made you choose yours, or did you have a number of possibles?..
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index