Which type of camera do we use?

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: Which type of camera do we use?
Nov 30, 2005, 20:49
Moth and I have a Nikon D70 with a couple of sexy lenses that go from 28-300, which was our one and only wedding pressie last year.

Last week I bought a Nikon D50 with a 28-300 lens for work and that's shaping up to be a really wonderful thing. So wonderful in fact that I have already trained my non-camera wielding colleagues to use its simplest auto functions and make some respectable publishable images.

Moth and I also have an 'emergency' camera a crappy old Minolta point'n'shoot thingy, but it served me well for 2 years.

Between us we also have a number of sturdy SLRs, one of which I used for 22 years. It must have travelled 60,000 miles or more with me. I quite can't bring myself to chuck it away!
Ishmael
683 posts

Nov 30, 2005, 20:58
Whats the D70 like for night photography Jane? Does it have a D setting?
The thing I miss with digital is being able to do really long exposures and getting star trails.
I know what you mean about not being able to throw a camera away.
I have a few in the attic that I cut my teeth on, Olympus OM10 and a Nikor.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Nov 30, 2005, 21:00
Mmmm, cameraaaaas, slurp.

Whilst large or even medium format escapes my threadbare pocket for the foreseeable future, I get by with an ageing and bashed up Canon D60, and a Powershot S50 for snaps. Also a James Bond 007 mini digital for kerazy low-res fun from a Zippo lighter case.

Last but definitely not least, a near-pristine and trusty Olympus Trip 35mm. Yes, that same, neat, solid 70's nugget of metal that Bailey hawked replete with awesome Zuiko multi-lens and selenium cell metering system. No batteries required, ever!

Mmmmm. Cameraaaarghy!
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

erratum
Nov 30, 2005, 21:10
Zuiko multi-COATED lens, that was.

Cameraks unite ;-)

PS. I use a 50mm fixed lens for 99.9% of work. I believe it to be good training until I grow up to zoom or wide angle.

Getting tired of stitching, but at least the detail goes right up to the edge and there's no distortion.
BigSweetie
BigSweetie
806 posts

Nov 30, 2005, 21:16
Canon EOS 500N SLR, and as of this coming Friday, a Sony Cybershot DSC P200 - joining the digital revolution :)

Cheers
Andy
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Nov 30, 2005, 21:20
My Dad used to collect cameras and had hundreds. When he died, they had to go but I kept a few landmarks which I have used. Among them are a World War II Leica and the photo-journalists' work horse from the Vietnam War -the Nikon F. Wonderful lens, no wretched batteries but weighs a ton. I kept a few bellows jobs just for fun. Still got my very first camera - a Brownie 127

Long ago, I sold my Bronica and now for practical use, I rely almost entirely on a Nikon SLR with a Nikon Coolpix for digital webstuff
The Nikon D70 is on Santa's list as it seems to do everything and will take my Nikon lenses, but...£££.
hamish
hamish
179 posts

Nov 30, 2005, 21:46
I use a lowly Kodak Easyshare, my pockets are a little thread bare.
David Raven
David Raven
145 posts

Nov 30, 2005, 22:06
>Canon EOS 500N SLR, and as of this coming Friday, a Sony Cybershot DSC P200 - joining the digital revolution :) <

I got one of those Sony P200 jobbies this summer :-)
I like it, though the colour sometimes looks a bit lack-lustre. Suppose it can be rectified in Photoshop. I like the 'manual' setting, good for pics of moving water and the like. The lens is a Zeiss too, not bad for the dosh :-)
It fits in a jacket pocket, and you can get an adapter to use filters; great for the casual amateur who takes pics whilst out walking like me.
The 7 megapixels give great clarity, often better than my old Pentax compact.
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Nov 30, 2005, 22:15
Canon EOS300D, but most of my TMA submissions were taken on my old Oly E10.

Also got a Nokia camera on teh phone that takes reasonable 'snaps' :-)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Nov 30, 2005, 22:32
How much is the Nikon D70 Peter?

As with StoneLifter I haven't gone digital yet but have a couple of nice lenses for my Nikon F2A that I'd like to continue to use when I do. First decent camera was a Nikomat - remember them?
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index