Silbury Round One
This topic is locked

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Ishmael
683 posts

Re: a useful meeting
Nov 28, 2005, 14:04
Excellent, you can help assist the rocket scientist at the Station stones and help keep the public from getting in the way ;)
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Re: Please
Nov 28, 2005, 14:05
Well I do hope that not everyone who takes a different view to Nigel's is to be classified as a troll.

SPB has a certain abrasive style, but her replies to my recent questions have been informative and courteous.

There does appear to have been misunderstanding, stance defending and now position adjusting

The one hopeful sign that I now perceive is in this line from HA's newspage:
"Crucially, we are reassured by the knowledge of Professor Chandler and his commitment to Silbury's integrity."

Let us hope that confidence in Professor Chandler is justified and remedial work will procede with minimal delay and damage. Is that not what really matters?
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Nov 28, 2005, 14:08
HA has always called for transparency, public accountability, honesty and an engineering solution. We have called for them to justify their reasons, consider all options and publish their thinking. Doors have been closed.

The doors were opened a chink on Saturday. Which is nice. This doesn't take away any of the unexplained U turns and lack of openness the public has suffered for the past 5 and half years. There are still a lot of unknown factors. This might be a start, but don't put the flags out yet. The chosen solution may or may not be the least worst, but it could still involve a lot of collateral damage during the repair process.

For me, having the independent eminent engineer there was exceptionally reassuring. But I just can't quite bring myself to trust EH yet. Hopefully they will listen to what Prof Chandler recommends.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Nov 28, 2005, 14:11
How much they listened to us, I just don't know Rhiannon. The meeting was only held because we applied pressure -repeatedly!- to get some public accountability. It may have just been a PR exercise to satisfy us. Time will tell.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Nov 28, 2005, 14:11
Thank you Nigel. It sounds positive and I look forward to the detailed bit.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Nov 28, 2005, 14:12
>'Hopefully EH will hold more public meetings like this in the future.'

They won't unless we ask!
Ishmael
683 posts

BBC News
Nov 28, 2005, 14:16
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/4477192.stm
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Nov 28, 2005, 14:22
Gah! I don't think I'll be able to make it cos it's a work night (AND the night of the dreaded work's christmas do!), and I'm going off to Cornwall for a few days the following day!

So as much as we'd love to come along, it's not gonna happen... Shame! Can't they move the lunar standstill to the weekend before? ;o)

G x
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Nov 28, 2005, 14:23
I handed my feedback form in with words to that effect, and am thinking of drafting an email saying the same...

G x
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Nov 28, 2005, 14:24
It isn't really anything to do with opinions. I'm sure all sorts of opinions are listened to / discussed / tolerated / debated round here. But it's the 'abrasiveness' as you put it. Abrasive is just forgetting social niceities. That's different from making your first post agressive and deliberately provoking, which sbp's is.

Anyway I'm not saying any more, it's pointless.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index