Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
BNP are using our megalithic heritage as their own

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Northern Hoard
6 posts

Re: BNP are using our megalithic heritage as th...
Jul 27, 2005, 10:05
I never even mentioned the swastika or swastikasana as its properly called, its the hypocracy of the BNP that gets me mate
Northern Hoard
6 posts

Re: BNP are using our megalithic heritage as their
Jul 27, 2005, 10:09
I fully agree with you and your post the Nazi problem at Stone Circles does need to be addressed

Respect to ya
baza
baza
1308 posts

Jul 27, 2005, 10:45
My reply wasn't to you, mate, it was to Forrester. It's simple to see if you follow the threads.

The swastikasana is a yoga position, chum.

:o)

Baz
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Yet another naive question
Jul 27, 2005, 11:11
I'm not arguing with you Baz, but the thought of the pygmy shrew being introduced from the Pyrennees is mindboggling. They're so titchy and they have to eat ALL the time. I know you don't mean the Mesolithic people popped over from the Pyrennees one tuesday with a shrew in their pocket. But does it mean though that they stowed away on a boat from England/Wales to Ireland? They have to eat insects to get their calories. Could they have nibbled on a Mesolithic venison sandwich on the way over? In fact how did they get to Ireland? How did ANYTHING get to Ireland? You can see how with the land bridge things came to populate England/Wales/Scotland after the ice had retreated. But was Ireland connected to the main continent too? Oh no this is hurting my head. Someone help me.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: Mike
Jul 27, 2005, 11:29
Agreed all!

Ak*! That's twice this week I've fed trolls directly after proclaiming 'do not feed the trolls!'

Thanks for pulling up me britches *oof*.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 27, 2005, 11:38
>... but I don't think we ought to asume that anyone interested in Swastikas is a Nazi, or we'd better put a stop to these Tibetan Buddhist ceremonies at Stonehenge for a start!<

Your not kiddin' Forrester. I've stayed out of the 'swastika' debates on TMA though I did come face to face with the problem in a practical way last year when conserving a Buddhist painting from 17th century Japan.

When conservation to the painting itself was finished the decorative mounting silks that form the outer part of the scroll needed to be chosen. I went through my stock of silks and found a beautiful green damask for the top and bottom and a darker warmer silk for the central surround - both perfect for the painting. The warmer silk had some of the traditional Buddhist motifs woven into it - clouds, parasols, the eight-fold wheel to enlightenment and (you've guessed it) 'sawastikas'. Normally that wouldn't have been a problem (I'd just check with the client if it was OK to use it) but in this case the painting belonged to a little museum in southern <i>Germany</i>! It just wasn't worth the agro so I chose a different silk.

Guess what I'm saying is that the use of the 'swastika' symbol is not <i>always</i> clear cut, even today, even in Europe. The above example may be unusual but other examples are going to crop up now and then and, in a multi-cultural society, we should be aware that sectors of that society (thinking principally of Buddhists and Hindus) will see the symbol differently. Perhaps by using the word fylfot instead of swastika would help distance what is originally an ancient, positive symbol, from its recent negative association with fascism.

I tricky one... and I don't think I'll say any more on the matter.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 27, 2005, 11:53
Buddhists and Hindus are gentle, modest people in my experience and their use of the symbol in the context of their traditions causes me no palpitations whatsoever, good luck to them.

The thing is though, purple and 400 square feet isn't what they're into, is it?
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Jul 27, 2005, 12:12
As I understand it, Ireland became separated from Britain round about 7,500 BC
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Re: Another naive question
Jul 27, 2005, 12:34
Recent genetic studies indicate that 80% of the genes of today's white Britons have been inherited from the indigenous hunter/gather population. This evidence is being used to redress the popular concept of mass folk migrations of Celts and Germanic peoples into these islands.

As for The BNP - I am with Tolkien on the matter of deeply regretting Nazis hi-jacking our northern traditions and pre-history. In his time, it made any expressed interest in runes and Nordic cultures suspect - just think of the loathing we still feel for the SS runes as well as the swastika. The Nazis even built fake megaliths to "prove" that the Gauls massacred Saxons and so justified their invasion of modern France. So much nonsense abounds and all we can do is strive for the truth and nail the lies and nonsense wherever we find it.

I am not getting into any arguments about the swastika because far too much time has been wasted in futile acrimony on these pages. I do not believe that any symbol has any "magical" power other than that which we assign it. When massive evil and genocide is carried out under a particular SYMBOL, that symbol will continue to SYMBOLIZE that evil until sufficient time and generations have passed on. No amount of mystic mumbo jumbo or wishfull thinking wil cleanse the swastika until the time is ripe. Forget it and move on - adopt another symbol and make that a symbol for whatever new age dream world you want to believe in.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jul 27, 2005, 13:17
Thanks. I feel better now.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index