what ever has happened to avebury?

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Re: what ever has happened to avebury?
Jul 20, 2005, 17:20
Well Stanton Drew's been deserted for years, and I doubt that's about to change any time soon. Avebury's always been a major tourist attraction with a main road running through the middle of it. Not much comparison, really.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jul 20, 2005, 18:00
The last time I was wondering around there was at about 8am with a then bearded bloke this time last year. That was a Saturday morning and there were only a few dog walkers around. Very quiet and peaceful. Early morning seems to be best. We drove back past West Kennett around 9am and the car park for the barrow was heaving. At 8 it was empty.
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Jul 20, 2005, 18:04
Seems to get worse when school holidays start. I was there towards the start of the summer on a Saturday and it was empty. Oh, and tourists generally keep to office hours, I've noticed. It's always amazed me how Avebury seems to quieten right down at 5pm!
tuesday
tuesday
280 posts

Jul 21, 2005, 09:43
Is being a 'world heritage centre' a good thing?

I suppose it means more money and 'protection' - but that often cuts both ways - and avebury seemed to be doing alright anyway. And I guess it means more 'awareness' - which again I suspect cuts both ways - many more people knowing about something wonderful but many more dark windowed coaches dropping by for half an hour, trinket shops and sign boards .......and pay and display car parks.

What is a 'world heritage centre' anyway?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 21, 2005, 10:28
What is a 'world heritage centre' anyway?

It means it's been nominated by a government for inclusion on a UNESCO list.

Each government that has signed up to UNESCO then has to report to UNESCO on how it is ensuring the welfare of it's sites.

The Irish government hasn't quite got round to nominating Tara - it's most important site - but now the bulldozers are safely in and digging, it will shortly I'm sure.

A couple of years ago UNESCO "congratulated the British Government" on it's care of Silbury.

It's a great system. All is well.
The Eternal
924 posts

Jul 22, 2005, 01:03
Poor Avebury - the reasons? Too many people playing at being "trendy". The "Look at me, I'm alternative" shite. Pretending to be hippies, pretending to "understand" the "old religion". Look at 'em all "Oooooh, aren't I mystic, I went to West Kennet and lit a tea light."
They don't understand what is classed as prehistory. They just want to be hip. Any interest in real archaeology? I doubt it.
Following each other like sheep, just so typical of todays society.
Tired of your mobile? Get a f*ckin' life, it's only a phone.
Sad and bitterly twistedly yours,
TE.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Jul 22, 2005, 01:22
No offence to most of the peeps here (who don't come into those 'catagories'), but that ain't half hitting some nails on heads & ringing some bells with me TE....

love

Moth
mickc
38 posts

Jul 22, 2005, 01:53
Well put, sir. I'm still waiting to hear from a "druid" just where summer solstice fits at Avebury. Or Stonehenge, come to that.
The Eternal
924 posts

Jul 22, 2005, 01:59
Moth and Mick C,
Just shows what a good cheap bottle of Spanish red can bring out in a man. Being all nice 'n' that normally.
I'm gettin' right on me high horse t'nite, me.
Love and drunken kisses to all,
TE
mickc
38 posts

Jul 22, 2005, 02:34
Cheers, dude. Cider here.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index