Avebury »
what ever has happened to avebury?

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Ishmael
683 posts

Re: what ever has happened to avebury?
Jul 22, 2005, 20:17
the Eddy Izzard cross dressing convention, Live at Avebury most weekends!
mickc
38 posts

Jul 22, 2005, 20:49
Teeheehee
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 22, 2005, 20:58
>...is it my imagination or has Avebury completely changed over the last few years?<

Avebury hasn't changed that much over the years - though if it has I'd say it's improved. While the stones and the village have stayed much the same things like accommodation, and the food and beer at the Red Lion, are a hell of a lot better than they were forty-odd years ago (and the Stones Restaurant provides a pretty good vegetarian alternative to pub fare). Sure there are many more visitors to Avebury than there were before but that's to be expected at a World Heritage Site. If you go there on most winter days there's hardly a soul to be seen. Be there at five in the morning on a summer's day and not even the birds are up - you'll have the place to yourself and all the mist and mystery you could ever wish for.
tuesday
tuesday
280 posts

Jul 23, 2005, 12:46
"Avebury hasn't changed that much over the years - though if it has I'd say it's improved. While the stones and the village have stayed much the same things like accommodation, and the food and beer at the Red Lion, are a hell of a lot better than they were forty-odd years ago (and the Stones Restaurant provides a pretty good vegetarian alternative to pub fare). Sure there are many more visitors to Avebury than there were before but that's to be expected at a World Heritage Site. "

I've got to tell you man, those thigns don't count as improvements in my book
tuesday
tuesday
280 posts

Jul 23, 2005, 13:00
i hit 'post before i had finished!

i was going to say - those things aren't improvements in my book - they just make somewhere more 'convenient' - like carparks, sign boards, offical interpretations etc. - Haven't you noticed how often people arrive somewhere and read the sign board (or take a picture) before actually looking at the thing itself (including art) - I do it myself all the time.

Everything being neatly accessible and easy when you arrive doesn't appeal in the same way that being able to get mobile phone reception everywhere on these islands doesn't appeal.

Even remote Callanish is suffering the same fate - it's very odd to see those massive dark windowed coaches creeping down bendy lanes on Lewis, heading straight for the visitor's centre and cafe then moving on twenty minutes later (and your phone works).

But, with regard to Avebury, it is perhaps easy to be snobbish - and it is a village after all, but what is wrong with places being made MORE difficult to get to, less literally informative, more purely experientially based - like the greek monasteries for instance? I challenge the assumption that convenience is best

Also, doesn't making somewhere a 'world heritage centre' freeze its develpoment in a particular and official direction?
I am actualy pleased, that the pagans, cross dressers, diviners, drummers are there if it means that officialdom is held at bay - it's just that I wouldn't particularly want to be around when it's so busy - or buy trinkets and stone burgers - even if they are vegetarian.......
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jul 23, 2005, 13:21
The trouble is (as perhaps people'd agree) if some sites don't 'suffer' by being easily accessible plus tourist friendly, then it'll only be us weirdos who visit them, and then lesser sites will suffer because no one in wider society cares. Whatever you think about time team, they've certainly raised interest in archaeology amongst The General Public.
Avebury's not that 'spoilt' is it, really. Especially if you avoid bank holidays. The visitor facilities (cafe, gift shop, huge barn full of info etc) are really rather low key. Even STonehenge as it is now is a peacefullish place after the tourists have gone home, and ok there's a huge car park but the place doesn't look like Land's End (a horror if you ask me).

I actually find something like the skylights in west kennet longbarrow much more offensive because they're there all the time. I know everywhere's been messed with, reused, reinterpreted. In a way that's really interesting because it's the work of people with their human needs and ideas, and we mustn't forget people built the place in the first place.

As someone living in a WH site I appreciate the point about getting 'stuck' with one interpretation and opinion about what's important. Though at the end of the day it doesn't stop Them doing whatever they like anyway (knocking historic buildings down for example) and for another example just look at the Silbury debacle.

waffling
follow that cow
follow that cow
277 posts

Jul 23, 2005, 13:21
I think that there are still plenty of 'hidden' places.
The trick is, when you find them, you musn't tell anyone. But then, where's the fun in that!

ftc
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Jul 23, 2005, 13:32
"The trick is, when you find them, you musn't tell anyone. But then, where's the fun in that!"

I guess some things are better than 'fun'. At least that's the way I feel when I've found a spot away from absolutely everyone :-)
Ishmael
683 posts

Jul 23, 2005, 13:51
Rediscovering lost things around Avebury tends to get ignored by the local press
http://www.hows.org.uk/personal/hillfigs/lost/donkey.htm
or nicked by some archaeologist and claimed as his own discovery.
http://www.users.myisp.co.uk/~gtour/News/AveNews.html
I put new discoveries onto my CD's
http://www.aveburytours.co.uk/CD1.html
nearly finished me Stonehenge and Environs one...
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 23, 2005, 13:58
I see your point tuesday but must beg to differ. Better food and drink, accommodation and information at a large and important historical site like Avebury <i>are</i> important and do not just make the place merely more convenient. Personally I like a good pint and a chinwag at the Red Lion (and have enjoyed both of those over the years and met some interesting and well-informed folk in the process). A friend, who is a vegetarian, prefers a pot of Earl Grey and a piece of carrot cake at the Stones Restaurant. Both the pub and the restaurant are a welcome break for many after a full day walking round Avebury (and I don't just mean walking round the circle).

However, people don't have to use the pub or the restaurant if they don't want to; they don't have to go to Avebury by car and they don't need to read information boards or go into the two Avebury museums, the National Trust shop or the Henge Shop. For many people though doing these things is part of an enjoyable and educational day at an important historical site. For some it will be their first experience of a stone circle and may generate an interest to visit quieter and more remote sites (or even join an on-line site such as TMA where they can learn even more about megalithic structures and the people who visit them :-)
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index