Avebury 2005

120 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

This place
Jun 27, 2005, 02:00
Well put Baz. Or even better, if they'd just settle down. (It'd probably also help if peeps'd stop rising to bait.) Unfortunately, for the last few months there has been a lot of this kind of stuff going on & this forum's not a very nice place to be.

I'm probably thinking out loud here, so please forgive me, but for my part, I'd add that whether deliberately or not (I suspect sometimes it's deliberate & sometimes not) Mike C & smallblueplanet do always seem to provoke these extreme debates that end in abuse. As a result, people have come to expect it from them and do on occasions seem to over-react.

(To anyone who's actually interested, this post is a bit long, but please read all of it before telling me to fuck off or whatever.)

The way I see it, is that Mike C was always gonna provoke reaction because he 'arrived' here accused of doing things like chalking on monuments which DOES potentially damage them (albeit slightly) and looks unsightly, potentially spoiling other people's enjoyment of the monuments. Many people also found the symbol chalked - the swastika, offensive.

People here do care deeply, minutely and keenly about the 'safety' of the monuments we love. So much so that some of us even formed www.heritageaction.org. If Mike had immediately and clearly denied chalking on monuments, all may well have been fine. But as I remember it, he didn't, or didn't do so clearly and catagorically enough for people to realise that that was what he was saying.

Instead he directed us all to his website which is about his 'world beliefs' and theories that many find absurd, which also involve the swastika. These things together have caused him to have never be terribly welcome here. I think he did eventually clearly seem to deny the chalking, but by that time - frankly - many people seem not to have believed him. I'm not ABSOLUTELY sure myself, and I try my very best to trust people's word & to take them at 'face value'. It hasn't helped that his manner is often seen as patronising and at times even insulting - admittedly sometimes under provocation, but sometimes UNprovoked.

Smallblueplanet I can't begin to understand. She often seems to disagree with the way Heritage Action do things and seems to think we and many others here should all have more respect for English Heritage, the National Trust and archaeologists. This opposing view is fine, but with these subjects and anything else tbh, she often SEEMS to put things in a way that suggests she wants to 'pick a fight'.

To the peeps that don't 'know' this place, it's usually pretty peacable and intelligent - but with some lively (but friendly) debate, joking around, even. Any disagreements and even fallings out are usually sorted with little or no ill-feeling. At least it that's been the case for the majority of the 2 years plus I've been 'coming' here.

I sincerely hope that one way or another, things calm down soon, or I'll haveta find a new megalithic 'cyber-home'. As I intimated earlier - I like a good lively debate, but this constant friction & animosity is all just too tiring and gets incredibly boring....

love

Moth
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index