Avebury & the Marlborough Downs »
The Avebury Journal

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Calling SBP -
Mar 24, 2005, 17:57
Could you please answer my previous question?

"So.... who are you and where do you get your information?"

(I think in view of your criticisms and subsequent apology, an answer is owed, don't you?)

Thanks.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: The Avebury Journal
Mar 24, 2005, 18:01
well, that should be the length and breadth of this thread, let us all return to the fact that its the easter weekend, warm and sunny. Heritage Action and all its members are in the fight to save what remains of the prehistoric past, Nigel battling gallantly against the unknown forces of stroppy mds, and anger should be directed against that which is destructive of our ancient past, quarries, roads, graffitti artists, ...........

Happy Easter to everyone
Mossx

Avebury journal makes a pretty interesting read, got plenty of publicity today...............
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Mar 24, 2005, 18:34
"one-legged transvestite unicyclists juggling convention at the Devil's Den"

What's this your peddling Jane ?

VBB
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Mar 24, 2005, 18:39
Why? You up for it? You could wear that slinky purple velvet number and a red high heel shoe...
J
x
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Mar 24, 2005, 18:48
I will if you will! Have you seen the latest crap from Tessa Jowell? (Guardian) She proposes to demolish inconvenient listed buildings and replace them with virtual copies. Thornborough, Stonehenge and Silbury problems solved "at a stroke"! You can have a nice new housing estate at Avebury built with all that gravel from Thornborough.

Seriously, all of us who really care should spend our energy on fighting this bloody awful philistine government and not each other. Let's try to put some lead in EH's pencil. They have a real battle on their hands against the so-called Culture Minister.
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Mar 24, 2005, 18:54
You are the only one who thought I looked good in that I thought it out of date and confrontational !

As for the red high heels, I kicked them off under the table in the Red Lion after walking round the henge, and when I went to leave they were gone and I was left with these worn out mules. I don't know who did it but I was sitting between Jim and Goffik. Nigel was admiring them, but the truth is he hasn't the leg shape for it - especially as he has 2.

VBB
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Re: Calling SBP -
Mar 24, 2005, 19:30
I apologised for my language, my view that the Blog is one-sided stands, afterall no-one has spoken to any of the official bodies involved.

Who was that masked man...........
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 24, 2005, 20:23
I appreciate you've withdrawn some of what you said, but this - "but you're only interested in one side though aren't you?" remains.

I'm not trying to wring a long argument out of this but I'd like you to understand that that accusation touches a raw nerve with an organisation that's trying to fight what it perceives as threats to ancient heritage whilst keeping a reputation for rationality. We have tried to follow a particular and carefully chosen way of conducting ourselves – on the grounds it will bring more results. So we've incorporated our Founding Aims into our Constitution and part of them say this:
[B4] The adoption of a specific persona: forthright but professional. To become known for top quality
design, editing and design standards and rational, ethical behaviour.
It can be damn hard work to keep to that. Some of the organizations we come up against are less exacting than us in some respects. And it's a fact that a bit of joyful shouting would be a lot more fun. Having worked so hard to act like that we're a bit upset to see someone apparently think we were otherwise. It's a matter of reputation you see. You've hit us where it most hurts, but haven't been specific so we don't know what you are referring to.

I assume your remarks relate to wider issues than Avebury Journal since that was hot off the presses when you posted the above remark, and is a newsy blog quite separate from everything else we do. I also assume it wasn't just "wine" since a pre-existing opinion must have been there before you raised your glass. So - please tell us where we have acted in an unbalanced fashion, the exact information we have failed to mention and what information you have that we don't.
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Mar 24, 2005, 20:47
I see where your concerns come from, and I didn't mean to illicate such an forthright and long reply from you, to what were originally off-the-cuff annoyed remarks about the (apparent) stance of HA. I applaud the work HA does, but I feel its (apparent) attitude towards "officialdom" is counter-productive, short-sighted and biased - oh I've run out of steam here.....look I've been supping red wine (its Easter hols!) and so coherence (a problem at the best of times, is more so now).

"So - please tell us where we have acted in an unbalanced fashion, the exact information we have failed to mention and what information you have that we don't."

HA obviously don't think it necessary, but I would have hoped for responses from official organisations regarding the issues you so rightly highlight in the Blog.....without which it sounds a tad one-sided. OK. Afterall it says the blog is "news" and observations.

There is no more - I just hold an alternate viewpoint to you guys - and as to where I get my info from I really cannot say (and that was never really the point, but was used to highlight that perhaps info was "missing").

I look forward to the next Blog installments! :-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 24, 2005, 21:07
0/10
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index