The Fylingdales Stone »
Fire reveals moor's stone legacy

Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Re: Fire reveals moor's stone legacy
Dec 22, 2004, 12:41
And when technology improves and they wish to re-examine the original (which is what all good researchers should do - go to the primary source, not someone else's synthesis).......what then?
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Your not worthy
Dec 22, 2004, 12:44
After reading Rhiannons excellent comments I've decided to withdraw my offer.
No smileys just big Yorkshire guffaws.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Dec 22, 2004, 12:47
I can see EVERONE's point(s) on this. Tricky & probably no (full) win situation I reckon. (Not that it makes much difference what any of us think!)

I'd love to see it too, but a replica'd 'do' me, personally - if necessary.

Just to clarify, Fitz, are you suggesting the Gardom's Edge solution? I may be with you on that whole solution, ideally, but do you think it's safe enough with the 'replica' effectively marking where the real thing is? Or is it not really directly above the real thing or summat?

And I'd wanna know about 'natural' degredation, as I haveta say that there's a 'dispassionate' (& mebbe 'soulless') bit of me that sez put it wherever it'll be safest and best preserved and let anyone/everyone see replicas, both in situ and in museums (if they want to exhibit em).

love

Moth
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Dec 22, 2004, 12:49
But surely this "who should see it" (this time "it" being all kinds of heritage ie Stonehenge, Silbury, Avebury...) is one of the major concerns of heritage conservation.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Dec 22, 2004, 12:52
Must admit that solution appeals to the 'soul' part of me, not mentioned in me first post down the page a bit....

Kinda like the Fyfield 'Polisher'. Seems to be working so far with that & even tho details have been published somewhere.

love

Moth
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Re: Your not worthy
Dec 22, 2004, 12:53
I wouldn't have accepted your offer anyway - it smacks of elitism. Oh and I've read your weblog on the Langdales....its not the greatest research, why don't you try using original sources rather than other peoples synthesis?
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

...and so, inevitably, it starts to get personal
Dec 22, 2004, 12:59
....whicj is why, in spite of having a few opinions on all this, I'm staying away.
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Re: ...and so, inevitably, it starts to get per...
Dec 22, 2004, 13:03
I apologise to the Board, I didn't mean to get personal, but I felt I should defend myself.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: ...and so, inevitably, it starts to get per...
Dec 22, 2004, 13:05
That's what I'd been doing until just now too Mark, coz it's been heading that way for quite a while. Shame. Twas a good debate. Still I can go do some work now.... :^(

love

Moth
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Dec 22, 2004, 13:09
The 'no-win' thing also applies to the decision-making. How could it be properly democratic AND practical? We need to be able to able to trust the decision-makers, whoever they are & however they do it. at the moment there are too many of us who don't.

love

Moth
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index