Help me out here please?

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
andrew f
10 posts

Help me out here please?
Jan 08, 2004, 22:47
Couple of questions as I'm more than a little new/clueless here:

Are these photies worth putting up on the site?

http://the-north-will-rise-again.co.uk/luke/andrew/landscapes/unsorted/rl1.jpg
http://the-north-will-rise-again.co.uk/luke/andrew/landscapes/unsorted/cp1.jpg

The former was taken New Year's Day sometime in the early 90s - vague memory :-( and shows the carvings picked out quite nicely in seeds. It's taken from a stone close to Routin Lynn waterfall in Northumberland but i couldn't find mention of Routin Lynn here so is it classed under a different name?

In the case of the second it _is_ 'just' a hillfort but a very nice one on the North Peak of Cochrane Pike, taken from the South (yep, quite a nice pair (ahem) of hills). Although I probably overrate its loveliness as a consequence of quite a vivid hearing of voices there (not a regular occurence!)

So, any suggestions for including them here?
pebblesfromheaven
pebblesfromheaven
853 posts

Re: Help me out here please?
Jan 09, 2004, 08:24
Hi Andew

Roughting Linn can be found here:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/96

The string tie is a bit sinister!

.o0O0o.
PS I've seen it spelt a few different ways...!
andrew f
10 posts

Jan 09, 2004, 08:56
Cheers! there's some great photos there. The majority of my photos are in Places Unknown since a move but, should they turn up, I've got a pretty nice one of the waterfall in which a good amount of the water has frozen.

Andrew (constantly amused by the elasticity of place names :-)
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Jan 09, 2004, 09:22
Hi there,

I'd have thought both your photos were potentially worthy of inclusion on this site (I really liked the string one). The hillfort is definitely OK, but I'm no expert on holed stones, so I can't really comment on the other photo.

For a better idea what is 'allowed' (probably should say encouraged) take a look at the Submission Guidelines. They're linked to from the Site Guide, but here's the URL by way of a shortcut...

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/submission_guidelines/

Kammer x
moey
moey
770 posts

Spellings
Jan 09, 2004, 09:51
Routin Lynn is the farm, the carved rock and waterfall are both called Roughting Linn. They were no doubt one and the same, but over time one has evolved, it's this wonderful evolving thing we call the English language.

The Linn spelling is probably older because Linn comes from the Scottish Gaelic word linne which means pool or waterfall

Maybe the routing or routin part of the name refers to the waterfall gouging out the vale.

moey
pebblesfromheaven
pebblesfromheaven
853 posts

Re: Spellings
Jan 09, 2004, 09:53
According to Fitz's post, it means "bellowing like a bull" but there are lots of waterfalls called Linn etc.... I suppose they bellow a bit!

Hmmm

.o0O0o.
andrew f
10 posts

Jan 09, 2004, 10:05
great - i guess i was taking the shortest shortcut possible last night :-0
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

Jan 09, 2004, 10:11
Do you have any more pictures of that carved rock? Judging from its encrustations it looks as if it's been missed by the archaeologists. The pair of eroded circles, and the piercing, together make a unique figure (and so on).
andrew f
10 posts

Jan 09, 2004, 10:22
I'll have a dig around over the weekend- I know I *did* but the pics are about ten years old and the set have become separated.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Re: Spellings
Jan 09, 2004, 10:38
The definition of the name comes from one of Stan Beckinsall's little guides. I suppose there could be a connection between Routing & Rutting hence the deer thang. If it does have the same source as rutting then it an alternative name could be "The Pool of the Horny Stags" which would be a lovely name. If memory serves me, there are carvings of deer on Goatscrag just behind the site.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index