Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pebblesfromheaven
pebblesfromheaven
853 posts

Re: Spellings
Jan 09, 2004, 14:43
ha
OK just for you lot I will (much later) look it up in The Book.
I think it's presumed to be earlier than the Other Rockart thereabouts, some of which have been dated (one presumes) by association with other artifacts.
Unfortunately you ain't going to get artifacts on a vertical rock face.

.o0O0o.
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

figurative rock art
Jan 09, 2004, 14:44
That was exactly the reason for my question.... figurative rock art of the neolithic/bronze age is very rare in Britain, but the carvings bears a reasonable resemblance to early depictions of stags in Galicia, which appear alongside cup and ring designs.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Re: figurative rock art
Jan 09, 2004, 15:46
Are these Galician motifs on vertical or horizontal surfaces, KK?
It just occurred to me that though the stuff at Morwick
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/2920
isn't really figurative, but if you have a good imagination, you might be able to conjure something up from Pebbles' intrepid pix. Whilst not exactly figurative, it's not cup and ring stuff, and like the goatscrag stags it is on a vertical face.
Aren't most cup and ring motifs on horizontal surfaces? If so there might be something to this horizontal vs vertical thing.
No. Ha'd on. Bugger! Ballochmyle is vertical c'n'r int'they?
Not that it would help with the dates anyway.

Regards from the self-confusing Hob
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 09, 2004, 16:05
Copt Howe is also vertical, but, yes, CnR's are usually on horizontal panels in the UK. A lot of Irish ones are vertical, but it's impossible to say if they were erected after being carved or not, without digging them up that is.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Jan 09, 2004, 16:12
I didn't know there were much in the way of Irish cup and ring stuff. (no surprise there) The bullaun as development of earlier tradition still gets me intrigued especially with those vertical wotsits in Northumberland, the Copt Howe jobby and an alleged extra large cup at Roughting Linn.

Which reminds me to say that the above ref'd pic of Andrew f's at Roughting Linn is a very nice pic of a very nice stone.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

CnR's in Ireland
Jan 09, 2004, 16:18
There's a lot in Donegal, tons of 'em in Cork/Kerry and some down the east coast. There's nowhere near as much as there is in mainland GB.

I must say, I was staggered by the amount that is now known in the UK. The 'recent' finds are amazing. I can certainly understand people concentrating on just them.

There *was* a panel in Louth that had some markings placed as being Paeolithic (sp?), but they're now covered by brambles and falling apart! Yet another of our little disgraces.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Re: Spellings
Jan 09, 2004, 19:59
Goatscrag could relate to wild goats but it may also be a corruption of another meaning just as many words are corrupted from their original form to something that sounds familiar but means something completely different e.g There are the Goat stones at Bellingham, the Mighty Burl says that the name may be a corruption of gyet-stanes or 'wayside stones'.
That said 'Ad Gefrin' which is just over the Milfield Plain translates as 'of the wild goats'.
Goatscrag contains burials, flints & Cup and Ring carvings leading Stan the Man to speculate that the carvings may be contemporary with the C&R's.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Re: CnR's in Ireland
Jan 09, 2004, 23:37
Cork and Kerry you say?
Iv'e just had a visit from a pal who did a tour of Ireland a couple of years ago and he spoke highly of both, specially in reference to the prehistoric remains. If they have the rock art, they start to answer the problem of which bit of Ireland to aim for in the event of ever getting there.
I'm well chuffed to learn there are cup and rings in addition to the chambered tombs me mate spoke of. Sounds grand.
andrew f
10 posts

Jan 09, 2004, 23:48
Cheers! And thanks to one and all for your responses: I now know a great deal more than I did last night :-) but still so much more to learn. Such as what is Mam Tor going to be like in the wind tomorrow? Brrrr....
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Jan 09, 2004, 23:52
Hope it's excellent!
:-)
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index