What is a Henge?

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: What is a Henge?
Oct 27, 2003, 13:21
I'm with you at Appletreewick too!!! (Actually I'd probably choose the Druid's Altar in that neck o the woods!)

And what you said about the principle pretty much illustrates what I meant - although henges are a pretty 'sketchy' lot definition, purpose etc wise, the equivalents for stone circles ain't REALLY all that much more definitive!!!

love

Moth
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Burl's a bugger!
Oct 27, 2003, 14:29
You're looking to get your house blown up :-)

No it's not!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 27, 2003, 14:35
Well, actually by the Dictionary definition it is ...

"n :Great Britain and Ireland and adjacent islands in the north Atlantic"

But that's from a dictionary entry formed many years ago. Ireland is no longer British (it never really was - it was British in the same way that Poland was German for a few years).

The definition needs bringing up to date. Try telling the people on the Blasketts that they're in the British Isles and see if you can walk back to your boat :-)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 27, 2003, 14:37
Actually, it shows how out of date the definition is.

"Great Britain and Ireland". What about Northern Ireland? or is the dictionary telling us that Ireland includes Northern Ireland?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

It is in the dictionary
Oct 27, 2003, 14:42
n. a circular monument, often containing a circle of stones, dating from the Neolithic and Bronze Ages' [back formation from Stonehenge, site of important megalithic ruins on Salisbury Plain, S England]

: Collins Concise English Dictionary
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Oct 27, 2003, 14:44
I think if we remove the tinderbox political stuff out of the equation here and concentrate wholly on things geographical, it would make more sense. Basically, the British Isles are *pretty much* all landfalls and rocky bits hanging out to the north of France and the west of Norway. That's the way I'd define it, any road up.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Oct 27, 2003, 15:14
It doesn't draw the distinction because it's talking about the island called Ireland. Like the island 'Britain' that contains Scotland, Wales and England.

love

Moth
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: It is in another dictionary
Oct 27, 2003, 15:20
But I hadn't bothereed posting it before!

Chambers (starts off OK but gets a bit woolly):

"A circular or oval area enclosed by a bank and internal ditch, often containing burial chambers, or a circular, oval or horseshoe-shaped construction of large upright stones or wooden posts."

Thought some had an external ditch. Or did I dream it?

love

Moth
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 27, 2003, 15:42
It's about time that another name was sought to sum up the group then isn't it, because they AIN'T BRITISH!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: It is in another dictionary
Oct 27, 2003, 15:45
Some do. But this seems to be a bit of a cover-your-ass thing really. There are at least two in Ireland that were thought to have been ring forts, but had no structures at all inside. Hence the conclusion - 'for ritual use' ... shite! That's an inside out henge!
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index