What is a Henge?

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Re: What is a Henge?
Oct 26, 2003, 23:29
Durrington Walls is pretty circular and the Studfold Ring may be a henge, although there is no evidence of antiquity and it is generally thought to be no older than the Iron Age. If the ring was a henge then it was severly modified during in later ages.
The reason I asked for a location of a none circular henge is that I believe the circle/elipse is the essential geometry of any henge and was part of the belief systems of the people who built these beautiful monuments.
Linear monuments such as cursus seem to be part of a different way of looking at the world. This view of the world , for me, marks the difference between the early & late neolithic, another example being the move from long barrows to round barrows.
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

Unhenged
Oct 27, 2003, 08:00
The archaeological definitions currently exclude anything other the circular. I have a big bee in my bonnet about this thing - http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/20521 - which clearly has a bank and a perimeter and what could be a sludged up ditch. Last year I thought it was in isolation when its correct official label would have been 'Long Mortuary Enclosure' or 'Cigar-shaped Enclosure'. Because of the bank I called it a henge.

A little more observation over this summer has shown it to be inside a large diameter, small-stoned, double ring. When new, from the air, it would have appeared like a no entry road sign - a circle with a diagonal. So, technically, it's now just part of a stone circle. I believe Castle Rigg has an internal structure slightly similar. In isolation it looks a little like the Hunebedden or the Quadrilature near Carnac.

The rowdy farmer took a digger to one corner of it in September and uprooted a couple of cornerstones. (His hired bull has more intelligence, frankly). The County Archaeology Unit (again), based fifty miles away, and with two thirds of the Roman Wall to look after, haven't been anywhere near. I'm to ask them for funds to tidy up the site next year.

!
Earthstepper
Earthstepper
353 posts

Re: Unhenged
Oct 27, 2003, 08:59
Good for you mate! Taking a lead from Blue Gloves and BrigantesNation, perhaps we could each adopt a henge or act as voluntary wardens of our local patch.
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Oct 27, 2003, 10:28
"Y'know - what have, say, Stonehenge & Appletreewick really got in common? Just a thought."

That's a pretty tuff question that Moth... Stonehenge being a massive complex of international significance and Appletreewick being a tiny circle of low boulders. On the face of it, they seem to have little in common other than being circles of stones and miles apart in appearance... but I guess the real similarities are to be drawn from the purpose of their construction and uses (solar or celestial movement markers? Gathering places? Boundary Markers... etc). But saying that, there's no guarantee at all that the two circles were even constructed by the same culture or served the same purposes.... it seems I've just taken a long way around saying I don't know!!

I do know tho' I'd rather spend an afternoon at Appletreewick than at Stonehenge :)
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Re: Burl's a bugger!
Oct 27, 2003, 10:38
But... I agree with what you said about the British Isles Jane. Ireland *is* part of it.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

silken purses.
Oct 27, 2003, 11:24
By your definition a henge could be any old bank and ditch of any old age.
Why can't you call your long enclosure - a long enclosure , it would be a far more accurate way of describing what it is.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

silken purses.
Oct 27, 2003, 11:25
By your definition a henge could be any old bank and ditch of any old age.
Why can't you call your long enclosure - a long enclosure , it would be a far more accurate way of describing what it is.
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: A strange henge picture
Oct 27, 2003, 11:33
Looks more like light leakage into the camera or film canister.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Oct 27, 2003, 12:14
I'm with you Ken matey. Whilst we're on a henge tip you could also linger a while a Yarnbury which is only 2 or three miles from Appletreewick
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/4322
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Oct 27, 2003, 12:42
Ooh, didn't know about that one. It's not a bit of Yorkshire I know especially well... stopped off at Appletreewick on my way to Malham Tarn once. It's a place I'd like to explore a bit more.

Ilkley Moor this weekend :))))) Gonna checkout a few places like possible outliers at the Backstone Beck circle, a possible avenue at the Great Skirtful Cairn and the rock carvings around the springheads between Keithley Road and White Wells... plus a few other spots I've overlooked in the past.... will no doubt be back with a pile of photos and cod theories!!!
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index