What is a Henge?

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: Burl's a bugger!
Oct 26, 2003, 19:57
I think technically the 'British Isles' is a geographical rather than a political term and *includes* the whole island of Ireland.

'Great Britain' is a political term and includes the United kingdom of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

I think....
Earthstepper
Earthstepper
353 posts

Re: What is a Henge?
Oct 26, 2003, 20:13
Is there a limit to the size of a henge before it becomes something else? Having read all the definitions and suggestions about church halls etc - I still don't know enough to agree or disagree with anyone. On balance it seems that the definitions lack definition and a henge is anything you want it to be as long as its circular, non defensive, not a ring cairn or stone circle and of obscure purpose. Mis-named and mis-understood.
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

Oct 26, 2003, 20:18
It doesn't have to be circular - the definition must include other geometric objects. Rectangles are the more obvious but there may have been triangles and squares.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Oct 26, 2003, 20:20
Burl - Stone Circles of the Britsh Isles.. First enclosures were the causewayed ones followed later by henges. Windmill hill is a causewayed enclosure followed later by Avebury - henge with stone circles inside (later?) standing alongside the Ridgeway, which is probably a trading route. He reckons that the henges were meeting places a place for instance, where axes could be traded. There are plenty of axes found at at Windmill, and think of recent Stonehenge axes in the news.
He reckons that henges had a more secular role, the foci of tribal areas, a place where many different things happened. Trading, religious, tribal meetings and moots (where everyone discusses everything under the sun, a bit like this forum!)
Figures;85 known henges;- 46 over 61 m., 6 of these large ones in Scotland or Ireland.
Others 13 to the east, 19 central zone, 10 in the west.
Interesting fact for those of us who live in the s.w., the Wessex henges were probably influenced by the Irish earlier ritual enclosures...
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Oct 26, 2003, 20:20
Well, according to Jane's quote from Burl, he sez 1700 ft is the max, but I assume that's just the size of the biggest 'henge' studied in his terms.

Do we really know the 'definition' & purpose of 'stone circle' much better or in more 'scientific' terms though really? Y'know - what have, say, Stonehenge & Appletreewick really got in common? Just a thought.

love

Moth
hob3
8 posts

Oct 26, 2003, 20:30
<ritual enclosure> I like it. Concise.
That'll do me for now as a definition.

I've always thought of them as stages with a bank as the seats and the ditch as the crowd control.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 26, 2003, 21:00
Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain. It is the Kingdom of Great Britain *and* Northern Ireland.

Greater Ireland is not part of the British Isles geographically or politically.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Oct 26, 2003, 21:48
You're right, I got the UK and GB the wrong way round. Shoulda looked at me passport, which is right here in front of me :-)
D'oh!
J
x
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Oct 26, 2003, 22:37
can I ask where these none circular henges are?
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Oct 26, 2003, 23:02
Studfold Ring has been described as a henge, can't say I agree though. Durrington Walls is an odd shape.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index