(Ducks n runs)

love

Moth
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Burl's a bugger!
Oct 27, 2003, 16:04
I think the 'European' bit would piss off most of the GB folks wouldn't it !? :-)
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Oct 27, 2003, 16:05
Ha!!!

And yet, not some of us!

Bring on the Euro!!!!!!!!!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 27, 2003, 16:11
i quite agree with you, but if Europe invaded GB and killed off 60% of the population you might feel a little differently :-)
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Oct 27, 2003, 16:13
Undoubtedly!
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Oct 27, 2003, 16:17
How about The Rockall Isles?
I'd like to live there.
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Oct 27, 2003, 17:01
Firstly Mr Winds, you're about as Irish as I am Welsh.

;-)#

Zecondly, it wasn't really Britain that invaded Ireland. Britain is an island, not a nation. The nation that invaded Ireland was the English, with some help from their previously invaded chumbs the Welsh and the Irish and some other peeps from Europe who just wanted a fight. Essentially it was the English who caused all the trouble though, and it was English policy that caused all the subsequent problems.

That's what I reckon, but what would I know (I'm English).

:-)#

K x
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 27, 2003, 18:17
I never pretend to be Irish. Did I once say I was? I just feel a little for them, that's all. In 2.5 years time, though, I'll have my Irish passport - can I speak then?

Just for the record - Cromwell was my great great (x a lot) uncle's cousin. I'm also a Stuart which adds to the fun :-)

I think Cromwell ruled GB, not just England and had troops from all over, so in effect it was GB who came over here the second time and layed into the Irish. At the time of the English Civil war Charlie was in deep shit and he promised the Irish that he'd let Ireland become its own country in return for help. Consequently, and somewhat ironically, the Irish fought for the King during most of it. After Cromwell had won he came over and stuffed the Irish lords good and proper and introduced the Pale. Lovely man :-)
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

terylene purse
Oct 27, 2003, 19:23
Hey !

That rude definition took me at least two minutes. The banked enclosure, near the middle of the Holymire circle, falls into my own definition of a henge - I've only ever found one - simply because of the bank and the suggestion (to me) of the remnants of a ditch. Squabbling over which pigeonhole it fits into is futile while the owner is hovering with a JCB. My suggestion (and a male person inevitably becomes more right wing as they age !) is to avoid anti-rectilineal prejudice.

To make things worse I include the modern structures known as sheepfolds within the henge tradition. No ditch, within or without, and a stone wall instead of a earthen bank, but a similar potential function (whatever it was) now that wolves, rustlers and foxes have all been eliminated. They are actually more based on the roundhouse tradition - but never mind.

I have a more controversial (and much smaller) site still unposted. It is Halloween week !
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

Re: Unhenged
Oct 27, 2003, 19:42
Thanks ...

The area is maybe the size of Rombald's Moor. There's nobody else taking an interest. I'm finding stuff faster than it is being destroyed, but that process of discovery sets in train an antagonistic reaction from the unruly landowners. I need to write an academic article for a peer-reviewed journal - but that prospect is about as appealling as maths homework used to be. I remember one of the farmers saying to me 'will you stop finding things, please'. He owns the copper mine and maybe half a dozen cupmarked stones.

There's an empty valley, two miles by one, where I know there'll be interesting stuff, over the hill from the Grey Yauds, but I've not had the time to even get there once (etc). I read through the commentary on Tom Lethbridge's books, not far from here, at the weekend, and looked at the pictures of the covers of his books trying to remember which ones I'd taken out of Benwell Library, nearly thirty years ago. He talked about the archaeologists' trade union attitude. Without seeing it in action I just wouldn't have believed it !
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index