Stonehenge »
Stone shifting 5

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GordonP
474 posts

Re: Lawn Greene
Sep 17, 2003, 13:50
No problem Steve, I look forward to seeing you again.

I also have some pro video footage of the first model I made in 1999.

This was made as a presention outline of the stone rowing method.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Neolithic Rope!
Sep 17, 2003, 13:52
Yes, test and display. And the same goes for anything else - does anyone have an axe or antler pick or bone shovel or replicas? We could dig a small hole on the day. And I'm sure the more artistic of us could put together a display, and maybe some paintings (no names!) of the original people using exactly our method. (Actually, all of those ideas would look OK on the website in advance).
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Hole Profiles
Sep 17, 2003, 16:36
Although it doesn’t show on my plan,
“The entrance to the circle was deliberate as evidenced by the width between stone thirty and stone one being wider than all the others and conversely stones twenty-nine and thirty and stones one and two had their widths decreased to make up for the added width between stone thirty and stone one.(Atkinson 39)”
We must check whether the wide gap is trilithon-upright width and if so we can replicate accordingly.
GordonP
474 posts

Re: Hole Profiles
Sep 17, 2003, 16:49
nice one Nigel
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: Do we need ropes?
Sep 17, 2003, 16:49
Gordon, there's a problem with the method of levering from stuts. The strut will not slide gracefully down the stone as the stone is elevated. It will drop to the ground after the first use.

I hadn't appreciated this problem when I made a similar suggestion myself.

If you want the strut to meet the stone initially at 90 deg, then the distance from the bottom of the strut to the base of the stone will be greater than the length of the strut. The only way to make it work is to have the strut meet the stone at an angle that's considerably less than 70 degrees. In other words, you need a short strut (say 30') that's near to the stone (say 20'). Even so, it's going to slide a long way down the stone before it's finished.
GordonP
474 posts

Sep 17, 2003, 16:52
Yes I know, I evisage the strutts being part of the tower.
GordonP
474 posts

Sep 17, 2003, 17:12
As the stone raises we can either slide the lever down a bit or put another log in front of the fulcrum to maintain distance from the stone (that is follow the stone)
GordonP
474 posts

Re: Stone shifting 5
Sep 17, 2003, 17:34
I,m gonna be a bad boy now, so don't take this as a suggestion.

I'm actually on strike at the moment, (a one man strike over a matter of principal) so I'm at this computor pretty well all day. (opened the bar pretty early as well)

Anyway I just thought, instead of trying to show what we think stoneage man may have done, why not show what he should have done?

That is erect the whole bloody trilithon to 90 degrees in one go, lintel included. It is possible.
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Sep 17, 2003, 18:22
Yes, but the problem with extending the fulcrum is that the forces start to get a vertical component in the wrong direction i.e. one that is trying to lift the strut (and the tower). The longer you make the strut, the less of a problem this will be, but from the top of a 24 foot tower you'll need a very long strut. It needs to be 34 feet long just to get 45 degrees and that will give a vertical force equal to the horizontal force. As soon as you start extending the fulcrum in a horizontal direction, you have lost the "levering at 90 deg" principle; all the forces from the fulcrum act horizontal on the strut and will give rise to an equivalent vertical force. To get an angle of 60 degrees from vertical needs struts 48 feet long and still gives a vertical force of 50% of the horizontal. That's 3.5 tons lift on the tower.

If we use the lintel as a counterweight for the pole and rope method then we have a weight of 10 tons. The torque required to rotate the stone is 218 foot-tons, so in theory at least, the pole could be as short as 22 feet.
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: Stone shifting 5
Sep 17, 2003, 19:14
Mmm, that thought has been running through my mind too (and I haven't had a drink yet).

Anyway, I'm going to watch a movie now, so I'll catch up later.
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index