DOWSING

Pages: 12 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

DOWSING
Sep 10, 2003, 16:36
Dowsing on the TMA always raises a long and controversial thread. Its a bit like the Marmite ads - you either love it or hate it! I propose a suck it and see approach for the more skeptical or cynical amongst us, or for the just plain curious:

Run up to your wardrobe, grab a pair of wire coat hangers and an old bog roll. Snip the hook off the coat hangers and trim off one of the curved corners until you're left with an 'L' shape. One length should be about 10" and the other about 5". Take your bog roll and slit it, and open it flat. Cut into two equal pieces, roll each one into a tube about as thick as your little finger, pop the short arm of the wire into the tube, so it rolls freely - but doesnt fall out! Secure the tube with tape. Get yourself out into the garden/yard/field wherever and hold each rod in the hand, firmly but not tightly and allow the rods to settle roughly perpendicular to the ground, parralel to each other. Wander about - where the rods cross make a note and come at it from other directions to triangulate. Thats all there is to it! Its actually more trouble to make the damn things than it is to use 'em! If you find it works - LMK!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: DOWSING
Sep 10, 2003, 16:47
I think you'll find that most of the 'against camp' aren't against dowsing itself, just some of the ridiculous claims made by some of those practicing it :-)
hamish
hamish
179 posts

Sep 10, 2003, 17:17
I have been dowsing since childhood.Coming from a family of dowsers ,going back probably centuries,I do not feel that it is anything really special-it's just something I am able to do.The New Age, is't it a wonderful spiritual thing,does tend to get up my nose.Most people cannot do it because they try to hard there by influencing their rods, pendulum,to such a degree as to get a totally false reaction.
I was watching a so called expert with a group of people at West Kennet Avenue,he told them there was a leyline down each side of the avenue,the folks took their rods and of course got a reaction.there is not of course any thing of the sort,Thousands maybe millions of people over the certuries have walked down on side and back up the other there by compressing the ground and creating a magnetic anomaly which is readily detected by copper rods.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 10, 2003, 17:22
:-)
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Well, I'm game!
Sep 10, 2003, 17:28
I have some dowsing rods wot I bought in Avebury (ooh! Mr Tacky!)

I have used them on a couple of occasions, and they have impressed me.

It's just embarrassing to be seen using them, innit? ;o)

G
x
Shestu
Shestu
373 posts

Re: Well, I'm game!
Sep 10, 2003, 17:59
Agreed! Wish my yard was more private. May take a few days on this one8-)
I'll involve my husband, analytical rocket scientist that he is. If'n the two of us can love each other and have interesting and non-threatening conversations anything is possible!!

Happy Dowsing!!

Sherry/Shestu
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Sep 10, 2003, 20:11
I don't bother with tubes; I just hold them loosely in the hands. If you can't manage well enough then try Bic biros with the insides ripped out.

I think your explanation of the position of the rods was a little misleading, you said they should be held perpendicular to the ground and parallel to each other. It depends which part of the L-shape you are refering to. The part that's held in the hands needs to be perpendicular to the ground, but the part pointing out in front should be parallel to the ground. I mention that just in case some would-be dowser should think that his rods need to point vertically downwards.
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Re: back in the wardrobe
Sep 10, 2003, 21:43
Sorry about the slightly misleading description - I wrote it on a mad urge just before I skipped off home - should have engaged the brain properly before taking the brake off the hands - I assumed that most people would have seen the atypical dowsing stance at some point and be able to get the general idea.

again - probably the hardest part is getting the courage to wander about like an extra from Dr Who with two bits of wire and look as if you know what youre doing. Gives my wife and in-laws no end of fun when I do it! But its worth it!
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Re: back in the wardrobe
Sep 10, 2003, 22:08
What do you pick up with your dowsing Wotan? I should warn you I'm a sceptic when it comes to Ley Lines, so this is a trick question.

;-)#

I'm curious though. You've not really explained what you get out of it.

Kammer x
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

He explained quite clearly
Sep 10, 2003, 22:26
He is 100% successful at finding people who will point and titter :-)

I can't wait to see the dowsers locate the best spot for what will hopefully be my new well (all being well, that is)
Pages: 12 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index