40 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives w/e 15/2/03
Feb 17, 2003, 14:05
Pink Fairies Ð Never Never Land
Picked this up for a fiver at Fopp. I was expecting something as good as the DeviantsÕ Ptoof! Album, what with people saying itÕs proto-punk ÔnÕ all. Disappointed so far, though: No-where near as hard edged as IÕd been led to believe. ÔUncle HarryÕs Last FreakoutÕ is a bloody brilliant track though.

Grace Jones Ð Nightclubbing
WouldnÕt have paid more than the fiver I did for this normally, but was pretty taken with itÕs pop-funk/reggae and the icy vocal treatment. Rather bloody cool front cover too.

Boredoms Ð bootleg of Festie Hall gig last year.
Copying this for a friend from my Minidisc bootlegging of it, it was nice to re-hear after a few months and not as bad quality as I thought. A nice souvenir of a truly great gig.

Terry Riley Ð A Rainbow in Curved Air / Shri Camel
Got these at Fopp (again) for a fiver each. My vinyl copy of Rainbow is scratched to hell. Nice to hear it in total clarity for a change. The bits where the organ goes solo on ÔPoppy NogoodÕ and does a moebius strip drone is so simple and beautiful. ÔShri CamelÕ got me scratching my chin a bit. It sails too near to New Age for me at times.

Cope Ð Autogeddon
The first thing cHARLIE* grabbed to put on when he came round this week.

La Monte Young Ð The Melodic Version of The Second Dream of The High-Tension Line Stepdown Transformer from The Four Dreams of China.
Oooh, look at the length of my title, missus! One of the few recordings available of La Monte YoungÕs stuff. I bought this in the early nineties and didnÕt get it at all. Sold it to a second-hand shop. Recently started regretting it and wanted to hear it again. Found a copy in another second-hand shop. Got it home, listened to it and loved it. The way I listen had definitely changed over that decade. What seemed ten years ago like an intolerable recording of the testcard beep slowed down is now a rich ever-shifting drone to my ears. An interesting enlightenment.

Gas Ð KÅ¡nigsforst
Comatose drone made up of classical samples from scratchy vinyl records. Great sleeping tablet because of its organic qualities.

Barry Adamson Ð King of Nothing Hill
After initial disappointment in this when it came out, IÕve started coming round to it. Some peopleÕs music fakes its sinister qualities. Barry AdamsonÕs stuff always feels like itÕs trying to hide its darker side but it canÕt help taking over.

Hirsche Nicht Aufs Sofa Ð Im Schatten der MÅ¡hre
Very strange stuff. A bit Nurse With Wound-y, but with the Krautrock influence showing more. IÕll definitely be listening to this one more and trying to get my head round it. (Their name means 'No Moose On the Sofa' by the way)

Serge Gainsbourg Ð LÕHistore de Melody Nelson
Nice bit of funkiness from the sleaze-monger extraordinaire.

And various other bits and bobs as I did a couple of CD compos for people.

As one wise protester's placard said on Saturday...
"Drop beats, not bombs."
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index