Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2613 posts

Soundtracks To Our Lives w/e 15/2/03
Feb 16, 2003, 13:14
This week's drugs:

Sassafras 'Wheelin' and Dealin'' - I spent an inordinate length of time transferring this vinyl fave to CD for myself (via the massively compicated Steinberg Clean noise-reduction package) this week. But the end results are more than worthwhile. The never hip Welsh combo's second release from 1975 has always been the best cruising album ever to these ears. Great, vastly underrated band that Wishbone Ash fans will dig;

Blue Oyster Cult 'Blue Oyster Cult' - classic dumb-rock debut chocca with ace songs and riffs; leading nicely into

Kiss 'Dressed To Kill' - dumb, dumb, DUMB, and sheer pleasure from start to finish. Makes The Ramones sound like Gentle Giant. Paul Stanley manages to be simulataneously the coolest and uncoolest guy in rock and roll. I love the dude;

Alan Hull 'Pipedream' and Lindisfarne 'Dingly Dell' - perennial pleasure sources in the Fitter household these be. The man was a social-conscience songwriter of the highest order and these are from the early 70's period when he was at his absolute creative peak;

Steve Winwood 'Arc Of A Diver' - quite possibly my favourite album of the 80's, this second solo album by the Midland Maniac is entirely self-played and produced with some weedy keyboards and rhythm boxes that date it massively, yet maybe that's part of its appeal. It has a lovely, quite nostalgic feel running all the way through it. 'Spanish Dancer' is desert island stuff for me: perfect music for driving up a deserted motorway as dawn is breaking and the summer sky is that beyond-real shade of red. And that's exactly how I first heard it;

Free 'Heartbreaker' - time has rendered Free's final album their best for me, in terms of composition anyway. Okay, it doesn't have the raw appeal and corking riffs of 'Tons Of Sobs' or 'Fire And Water', and the absence of Paul Kossoff for much of the record is tragic, but the soul of this collection is so big it justs envelopes the whole room when its on. Rabbit's songs are lovely, and Rodgers has never sounded better than on 'Muddy Water';

Robert Wyatt 'Rock Bottom' - six perfect vistas of heaven and hell: twisted, unsettling and beautiful;

Maynard Ferguson 'New Vintage' - another undigitalised gem I immortalised onto CD this week. My dear late Dad's favourite trumpeter was (and possibly still is) the most thrilling exponent of his instrument ever, able to reach stratospheric heights with ease - a true "screech man". This is from his mid 70's 'disco' phase that all the jazz purists sniff at. Well sod 'em: this is great funky big band music with marvellous arrangements and a ass-kicking production. Love it to bits. This one's for you, Dad;

Loop 'Wolf Flow' - the art of taking a bad riff and playing it so many times it achieves greatness. I miss this band;

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club 'B.R.M.C' - this is slowly but surely invading my world. Insistent and invigorating, you can hear the influence of a million predecessors throughout the album but the end sound is quite uniquely theirs. Rock ain't dead yet;

Julian Cope and Donald Ross Skinner 'Rite' - played this through the WSYM Radio page on this very site. Terrific background music - and I don't mean that disparagingly - reeking of hippy-period Miles. Wish I had a copy (hint hint, anyone?);

AMM 'Combine + Laminates + Treatise 84' - more great background sounds. How a band can get a groove going without any rhythms, tunes or riffs is beyond me, but these do just that.

No classical this week. Just cities aflame with rock and roll.

Make noise, not war

Dave W
johan
165 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives w/e 15/2/03
Feb 16, 2003, 13:46
Don't normally contribute on this thread, but just bought some stonking CD's this weekend.

1. Boards of Canada - in a beautiful place out in the country - lovely, I think the shortened ep format suits them better than an album length

2. John Fahey - Red Cross - fantastic final offering from guitar legend

3. Coil - Time Machines - I think this one's been mentioned enough on here

4. Supersilent - Supersilent6 - still getting into it, but pretty varied stuff.

5. Anything and everything by Bob Dylan.

johan
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Feb 16, 2003, 13:53
Music:

Chemical Bros - Surrender
The Aloof - This Constant Chase For Thrills
Bowie - Scary Monsters
Stereolab - Dots and Loops
Wah! - Nah=Poo:The Art of Bluff
Rae and Christian - Northern Sulphuric Soul
Black Star Liner - Bengali Bantam Youth Experience
Outkast - Stankonia

Books:

Aftermath by Peter Robinson
If This Is A Man by Primo Levi

Films:

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
The Deerhunter
Breathless ( a bout de souffle)
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Feb 16, 2003, 15:03
A Belated Hello

And here goes with this weeks listening

Porcupine Tree In Absentia – gearing up for the tour rather nicely only two and a half weeks to go and counting 8-)
Also by the Tree a live MD from the Bloomsbury Theatre 1999 has kept me company on the way to work. And finally on a Tree note the Fan club only extended Moonloop EP I thought I had lost this forever and I found it on Tuesday or Wednesday amongst my 7 inch singles phew - bliss

Found myself in a heavy Caravan listening phase this week with In the Land of Grey and Pink, If I Could Do it Again and For Girls That Go Plump in the Night all getting some airplay

Camel – Mirage – a stunning piece of mid 70’s prog bought it and then found the whole back catalogue had been reissued with bonus tracks at £6:99 – bloody typical looks like a few trips to my local record store may well be in order.

Hawkwind- Chronicle of the Black Sword – my love/ hate relationship with this record continues, this week it aimed to please and missed.

Deep Purple 'Inglewood Live In California' thank you for sending this down Fitter its good a rough and raw live document of the first Deep Purple line up - good stuff

Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon – my all time favourite record of all time 8-)
Also dusted down The Wall Live actually better than The Wall studio which I find horribly stilted

Roger Waters – Amused to Death regular readers may recall I raved on about this record for a sizeable chunk of the summer and my feelings about it haven’t changed. Its been absent from the play list for a while but with all the bad shit which is going in the world at the minute it felt rite to drag this one off the shelves again. I wish that I had gone to the march yesterday but I didn’t.

I think that mite be everything in a rare moment of madness I actually made a list of this weeks tunes which I have promptly lost so I there are probably a few things absent from this weeks Soundtrax oh well……

That’s me
Joolio

Still Raining, Still Dreaming
Now playing a compilation called Bombay Jazz Palace (courtesy of Jazzy B) great and occasionally cheesy jazz works outs with plenty of sitar all over the place great stuff – I’ll drop a copy of this with you next week Boot and I’ll sling one in the post for you Moey

;-)
Now have I got time for a cup of tea before heading off to work?
Beebon
1375 posts

Feb 16, 2003, 16:42
16/02/02

Yo!

List:

Joy Division - Closer

Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun: Owned it for a few months and havent really got totally into it until this week, as uplifting as a lift and bright and cheery. Good one!

Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen and Let it Come Down
Pixies - Trompe Le Monde
Air - Moon Safari
13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere

Amon Tobin - Out From Out Where: Bought yesterday in HMV.... very nice indeed, the single "verbal"is pretty cool and the rest of the album is too, even better to listen to at night :-)

Cluster - Zuckerzeit
Stereolab - Peng!

Steve :)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 16, 2003, 16:50
Hello.....blasting the psychic cobwebs have been

Eat Static - In The Nude. Totally rediscovered this underappreciated gem. Got some top head candy moments on it

Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger. Quite!

The Warlocks - Phoenix. Still enjoying this psyche/sleaze rock fest

Jedi Knights - New School Science. Ace funky electro beats and tweeps n stuff!

Tangerine Dream - Atem. Ace early TD madness

Mediaeval Baebes - Salva Nos. Got a huge crush on this band and their ethereal olde worlde ways

Mushroom - Foxy Music. Psyche/Jazz noodlement and head decoration from aptly named band

Rinocerose - Music Kills Me. Ace guitar disco house beats hybrid thing from clever French people

Amused By Genitals - Due to Time Restraints We Are Experiencing Severe Gusset Trauma and One Size Fits All Tights Complications. Assistance Required.

Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality. Non More Black

Sunray - Incantation (Live Vertigo Club 1993). Not to be confused with Skyray or Sundial. 20+ minute psyche groove improv from Gtr/Keyboards/drums trip heads

Fela Kuti - Army Arrangement + Government Chicken Boy. Two 30 min Afro funk free grooves from the top dude.

Gilles Peterson mix thing from Muzik mag. Ace eclectic jazzy beats n funk assemblage featuring cool and surprising version of Nirvana's Come As You Are by one Dani Siciliano. Cool

Tangerine Dream - Nice stuff from the just before they went shit period

Ahhhhhh,...my head really is a little pickled. Have a nice week peoples.
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Feb 16, 2003, 18:26
Borrowed 'Last Splash' and 'Title TK' by The Breeders from the library. Enjoyed both. Jogged memory of another song ('Red Shoes'), so had to listen to 'The Real Ramona' by Throwing Muses as a consequence, and have been playing this quite a lot since.
Also borrowed 'Let it come down' and bought 'Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space' for £1:00, both by Spiritualized. Both are OK, though one song had me thinking of 'Bird On A Wire' by Leonard Cohen. (I've got his 'Greatest Hits' on CD somewhere, but couldn't be arsed to dig this out!)
Also tried Leila 'Courtesy of Choice' from the library too. A bit dreamy, this one.
Thoroughly enjoyed 'The Big Bash' compilation given away with the NME, and 'Up Yours! Punk's Not Dead' given away with MOJO.
Had a couple of CDs from Carlos arrive in the post on Friday. Pato Fu sound like they'd be a blast to see live... Put me in mind of The Levellers! Also, Os Mutantes, a late 60s Brazilian psychedelic band! Still getting to grips with this one!
Deltron 3030 has been playing in the car whenever I've gone out.
Oh, and I've played 'Document' and 'Green' by REM. Don't like 'Document' all that much.
And Bowie's 'Low', Warlocks' 'Phoenix' and Massive Attack v Mad Professor's 'No Protection' were the soundtrack to my painting on Friday.
Sane Prof
3 posts

Feb 16, 2003, 19:11
This week oi 'ave bin mossly listenin' to:

GURU GURU - 'UFO'/'Hinten' (found this on eBay for less than ten of my dubiously-earned pounds: a Russian 'two albums on one CD' thang issued by Aziya Records. Spasibo bolshoi, moi druz'ya!)

THE FLAMING LIPS - 'In A Priest Driven Ambulance' (ok, so I spend months trying to find this damn thing, then once I've got my paws on it, what do I find? Some swine of a record company has re-issued it along with heaps of extra goodies, under the name 'The Day They Shot A Hole In The Jesus Egg'. D'OH!)

THE FALL - 'Hex Enduction Hour' (does this really need an explanation? 'Course it bloody doesn't. )

And also a LONG FIN KILLIE compilation CD that one of my friends burned for me. A band that I really wish I'd seen live while they were still around!
Eardrum
Eardrum
540 posts

Feb 16, 2003, 19:58
in no particular order.....

Stereolab : Live Munich 18/09/01
David Holmes : Essential Mix 98/01
Spiritualized : Tripping in Sweden
Jethro Tull : USA 1980/87
Cinerama : This is Cinerama
Ian McNabb : Waifs & Strays
E.A.R. : Pestrepeller
Mount Vernon Arts Lab : One Minute Blasts Rising to Three and Then Diminishing
Land of Nod : Inducing the Sleep Sphere
Stylus : The Last Seaweed Collecting Hut at Freshwater West
Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros : Notts Rock City 18/10/99
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Feb 16, 2003, 20:28
mmm a whole serious week of listening for the first time in a while - must be getting back in the groove

on constant spin at the moment in the appraisal stakes are:
here and now - give and take
here and now - gospel of free
gong - glastonbury fayre 1971
gilli smyth - mother
ame son - catalyse
ame son - primitive expression

here and now had a great vibe and attitude towards free festivals and the planet gong floating anarchy disc is not out there by itself as their only worthy contribution - go out and give them a try - slightly too much of a late 70's feel to them but they are growing on me

gong at glastonbury is legendary for the power cut and whilst short is worthy of being in your collection least for how glastonbury once was

gilli smyth mmm dunno about this one yet - ok in patches but does not really gell - mother is a great title though

ame son now theres prob a new one for u or old one as they were french and classed as progressive - progressive in the alternative usage of the word and not ala yes etc - late 60's and linked to daevid allen through the bananamoon band - patchy again however worthy of exploration for all

got loads of les rallizes earmarked for this week!

hundreds of the little buggers to get thru!
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index