Soundtrack To Our Lives W/E 26/1/03

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

try, try, try again
Jan 27, 2003, 17:21
Adding my voice too. But I understand Shrimp's point, some things that we actively dislike on first hearings end up being all the more precious when we finally fall in love with them. This is partly why Rock Bottom is such a gem. No fence-sitting with it really. I think Shleep is great too, and Ruth is Stranger unfairly languishes in the unsung shadows of Rock Bottom's critical plaudits.
Telepathine
371 posts

Re: Kill City etc...
Jan 27, 2003, 20:14
"DAF - Alles Ist Gut"

You're about the only other person I've seen mention D.A.F, i love this record, it's minimalist fat synth sounds and those metronmic rhythms.
Also love 'Gold und Liebe' and the heavy kraut experimentalism of the live LP 'Die Kleinen und die Bösen'

Think Nitzer Ebb based all their early recordings on the D.A.F. blueprint (I'm thinking of the LP 'That Total Age', which is probably going down a treat with all those 'electroclash' fashionistas) and unfortunately they got caught up in the whole 'nazi youth' look, which put me off them to a lesser degree.
Still love their Belief LP though, esp TWA, 'Control I'm Here', and the rather dodgy titled 'Hearts And Minds'.
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: Audio caching
Jan 27, 2003, 20:49
Don't leave yer old kak lying round here Joolio - it's rubbish!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA - This woz a joke - OK, I've got me coat

moey
moey
moey
770 posts

Woodpecker.....
Jan 27, 2003, 21:00
A refreshing change
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Re: magazine
Jan 27, 2003, 21:08
Secondhand daylight is a great album, which wasn't critically well recieved at the time due to some considering it too morose or too prog sounding. Real life does have some stunning moments, other than choice cuts on a compie I haven't heard it in a long time. The Correct Use Of Soap is well produced shineir album. I have tended to stay clear of the later stuff after John Mcgeoch left as they really lost something then.

Magazine had something no other post punk band had. At their best they were bleak but also glamourous in a funny kind of way. Here is some Howard Devoto for yeh;

'we met at a psychiatric unit
she was in for having habits
no one else would try
she didn't know
what she was in control of
she had all the advantages of magic
no one could deny'

They don't make them like that now a days!
moey
moey
770 posts

Jaz Coleman & Anne Dudley
Jan 27, 2003, 21:09
Funnily enough I was gonna drag this out last week - I didn't but it is great
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Caught Out
Jan 27, 2003, 21:12
Oi You!!!!

Outside!!!
Now!!
(cynical attempt to boost Soundtrax response rate)

8-)
242 posts

the uncut cd
Jan 28, 2003, 00:09
Talking of the uncut cd mentioned, do you remember a track I think by someone like Damien Jurado? I think it was called medication, and it was about his psychiatric patient of a brother. Particular poigniency for me as I was admitted into a psi ward at about that time and kind of going through what his brother was. One hell of a track.
Son Of Alice
41 posts

Re: the uncut cd
Jan 28, 2003, 00:26
Just finished listening to it. Excellent song. I'd overlooked it in the past. Thanks for pointing it out.
Son Of Alice
41 posts

Re: the uncut cd
Jan 28, 2003, 00:31
I did a search for Damien Jurado. Has two albums, but the song's not on either of them. Still might be worth trying.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index