Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: Soundtrack To Our Lives W/E 26/1/03
Jan 26, 2003, 21:47
er...how can I put this -

robert wyatt - rock bottom
robert wyatt - ruth is stranger than richard
robert wyatt - shleep

listen to em properly me fellow sea-bound chum!
fantastic LPs each with their own merits. and in some ways, each in their own element - I find them appropriate to different moods and time, but all good and worth persevering with. Wyatt's voice alone is an underated gem..

Pe@ce and N*ise,
Squiddo
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: Rock Bottom
Jan 26, 2003, 22:17
If you listen properly (no irony intended) to 'Rock Bottom', its glories will, I hope, sink in. And you'll then see the good things in the rest of Wyatt's catalogue, though I don't think he's ever quite managed to recapture the beauty and originality of his 1974 epic.

Then again, you just may not like it. It's not an easy listen by any means. If ever a record justified the involved listening to which you have referred, 'Rock Bottom' is it. Background music it is not. In his excellent original review of the album in NME in 1974, Ian Macdonald said that it was one of three records out then that had no apparent antecdents (the other two being Slapp Happy's 'Casablanca Moon' - known then as just 'Slapp Happy' - and Wigwam's 'Being')..."in other words, it's pretty far out". I wholeheartedly concur.

You may well never like it. I've tried 'Rock Bottom' out on several open-minded friends over the last three decades and had mixed reactions - one guy actively hated it (and to his credit, taped it and played it through several times before coming to that judgement). Another, like myself, thinks it one of the best albums ever made. Marmite music.

I've got a fairly decent sized collection of records - rock, classical, jazz, a bit of folk and country. There's nothing on any of them that gives me quite the rush that the onslaught of trumpets at the beginning of 'Little Red Riding Hood Hit The Road' gives me. I beg you to stick with it.

:-)

DW
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: Rock Bottom
Jan 26, 2003, 22:20
oi Fitter? you ROCK!
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jan 27, 2003, 00:21
please note the words:

disappointing so far

they will be listened to further during this week

its an evolving revolving process
Son Of Alice
41 posts

Part 2
Jan 27, 2003, 01:50
Thanks, PV. Glad to know someone else here likes the Iggy mix, and you make a good point about Kill City. I think I was overcritical because the second time I put it on it didn't seem as impressive as the first, but that probably had little to do with the album itself, and on both listens, Iggy's vocals sounded faultless. Btw, I forgot that Kill City was actually recorded between Raw Power and The Idiot (slaps own forehead.)

Here's the rest of the best from this past week:

Mott The Hoople - Greatest Hits: I couldn't find my copy of the Mott album, which I actually consider to be as overrated as the Hoople album is unsung, but all the songs I like from it are right here anyway. "Honaloochie Boogie, yeah..."

Ian Hunter - Ian Hunter: After listening to Transformer, I had a craving for more Mick Ronson riffs. Gawd, I think this year marks a full decade since Mick's passing (sniff.) The guitar break on Once Bitten, Twice Shy (durable in spite on the shit late 80s poodle rock remake which even I find indefensible) could melt even the most jaded countenance. Most of the rest seems rather hit-and-miss to me, but the album ends with the outstanding I Get So Excited, my personal favorite of any recording that either Hunter or Ronson were involved with.

Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady: On my CD shopping expedition late in the week, I didn't come home with any Supergrass, as their only album at the store was the self-titled third, which I didn't remember anyone recommending to me, so I passed. This seemed the best of the available options, as I'd only been familiar previously with Ever Fallen In Love and What Do I Get (or, as my friend Mike - who was in his early teens when these songs came out - quipped, "Yeah, you only knew the hits.") I wasn't dissapointed in the least - Green Day and their endless stream of clones have never, and WILL NEVER, come close to equalling this. My favorite A-side: I Don't Mind. My favorite B-side (surprise:) Lipstick.

xxoo
SOA
Son Of Alice
41 posts

Born Again
Jan 27, 2003, 01:53
Jeez, I still have a copy of that. Haven't put it on for a long time, but I remember I liked Disturbing The Priest, with the evil laughter.
242 posts

magazine
Jan 27, 2003, 01:56
me got 2nd hand daylight. Was turned onto them when I heard 'the light pours out of me' on an uncut cd. What album is that off?
Son Of Alice
41 posts

Re: magazine
Jan 27, 2003, 02:07
The album is titled Real Life. I think The Light Pours Out Of Me is one of the greatest recordings ever made, and I also liked Definitive Gaze and Burst. The rest of it kind of got on my nerves. I've been on the fence about trying their other albums.
Son Of Alice
41 posts

oh, btw...
Jan 27, 2003, 02:09
...I first heard The Light Pours Out Of Me on the very same Uncut CD you mentioned. Small world.
242 posts

Jan 27, 2003, 02:10
just reiterating the brilliance of Rock Bottom as others have done. i'm quite taken with the ivor cutler song myself about smashing up the telephone
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index