Nick Drake.

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PaulMakesMusic
951 posts

Nick Drake.
Jan 25, 2003, 13:32
Someone said to me "Hey, you sound a bit like Nick Drake."
I decided to get something by him, so I downloaded Cello song.
That was just fine, and I'd like to get more stuff by him.

Which would you recommend?
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Re: Nick Drake.
Jan 25, 2003, 13:36
Five Leaves Left, Pink Moon and Bryter Layter and u cant go wrong.

Joolio
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Ah Nick Drake.
Jan 25, 2003, 13:37
Local lad, Used to live in Marlborough.
John Martyn wrote 'Solid Air' about him after he died.
I still haven't anything by him I don't like.
PeteG
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Re: Ah Nick Drake.
Jan 25, 2003, 13:45
Hard to go wrong w/any of Nick Drake's (too few) albums...start from the beginning,5 Leaves Left,and go from there...or just save time and pick up the Fruit Tree boxset(or see if your library has it )

Beautiful work..enjoy
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Ah Nick Drake.
Jan 25, 2003, 14:20
If ypou're not willing to spring for everything quite yet there's a pretty god mid price compi called 'Way To Blue' that covers most of his career and includes tracks off the rarities disc 'Time Of no REply' that don't turn up on his individual discs.

From there you can work out what you need. I think its pretty consensus that you will want just about everything. I don't as yet have it all.
Must get Fruit Tree again, was that Remastered when they did the individual discs last year?

You'l probably also be interested in people like John Martyn once you've discovered Nick.
Solid Air by JM is about ND. The lp after Solid air, Inside oUt is dashed good too
Stevo
Np Debris Other Things
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Jan 25, 2003, 14:36
Theres a song called *black eyed dog*....which I personally think is theee most saddest tOoON EVEr written and it makes me weep every time I hear it!
GuLp....pOor Nick what a luvely Man...wAy TOoo special fer this SHItty world!
FroM Tamworth I ThOUGHT?
cHARLiaN*
moey
moey
770 posts

Jan 25, 2003, 14:40
Like they say, start with 5 leaves left, which has orchestral backing arranged by Richard Kirby (somebody used him recently, but I can't remember who - any takers) and features Richard and Danny Thompson.

Bryter Layter has some upbeat stuff on it!, it's the next place to stop.also featurees Richard thompson and JohnCale. One of the stand out tracks here is Northern Sky - a beautiful song, and many people's fave.

End up by saving his best (IMHO) till last - Pink Moon. It is far bleaker and apparently nearly got lost because by the time he finished it, he was so depressed he left it at the record company witrhout telling anybody.

Time Of No Reply is a retrospective of home recordings and demos. It is also essential as it contains at least two of his best (IMHO again) in I was made to love magic and Black Eyed Dog.

Way too Blue is a good comilation if you don't want to dive in all the way.

The remasters are very tasteful, I only bought Pink Moon because I've already got the Fruit tree Box.

Nick has been an influence on many peoples work, dare I mention the name Weller here? Wild Wood is definitely directly influenced.

He was a mournful soul though, so those of a depressive nature may find his music brings them down. He was as the cliche goes - "a unique talent" only this time it is true.

I think that it was Stevo who mentioned "Solid Air" Definitely get that if you find you like Nick's stuff, it is an excellent album.

Moey

Oh yes, and his sister Gabrielle Drake used to be in (the original) Crossroads - so what more recommendation do you need.

Drop me an email.
moey
moey
770 posts

Jan 25, 2003, 14:43
Tamworth in Arden - think it is somewhere slightly different (geographically challenged Moey)

There are several home recordings bootlegs of that name (TIA)

Agree with the sentiment Charlie, and in Black Eyed Dog you can feel his pain.

A great Loss
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Jan 25, 2003, 14:51
I am Listening to his *Bryter Layter* lp right now in fact! Wicked stuff!
Sydsadfecker*
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Jan 25, 2003, 15:31
Check this web site out dood I thought it gave a brief but good insight to his world.

http://www.nickdrake.com/nick_life_in_quotes.html

O)
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index