Unsung Forum »
Hawkfeud

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Re: Hawkfeud
Oct 09, 2013, 11:26
There's a lot of moaning about royalties from reissues, repackagings and licensing in other territories, too - in Carol Clerk's book. I'm guessing that the majority of musicians were too mashed and lazy, at the time, to do half the leg work letting the likes of Dave Brock toil away building the band's reputation and whatever marketing and managing that may have entailed.
Witch
31 posts

Oct 09, 2013, 15:32
Well, I think that's the problem with a communal loose collective, all these musicians passing through a band seems alright at the time when you all have similar ideals, but human nature eventually spoils the broth so to speak, and all the dodgy releases from certain individuals has damaged the credibility of a unique force in rock music. When HW first made themselves known on the scene they were a free spirit, but things change, people change, and in HW some concentrated on having a good time over indulging in drugs, others on free festivals and certain causes, whereas Dave had a 'busker mentality' and knew how to look after himself, he was shrewd enough to realise the bands potential and concentrated on it's direction and business affairs. This doesn't mean he didn't have the same ideals as others, he just realised that a band is a commercial proposition, it has to make money to pay the sum parts, and to invest in future projects, before it embarks on free gigs for all and sundry. However, despite being the driving force and main contributor of the band he relied on the good nature of others to move on gracefully, like some did, Lemmy for example, but other ex members who often found it amusing to poke fun at how his business mind worked, labelling him a 'bread-head', or touring so he could buy a new tractor, saw the opportunity to benefit from his labour. Personally, I don't think that's right?
veneta1
223 posts

Oct 09, 2013, 16:10
>he relied on the good nature of others to move on gracefully, like some did, Lemmy for example<

Didn't Dave Brock sack Lemmy from the band and didn't Lemmy describe it as the worst thing that had ever happened to him.

I think the sanctification of Dave Brock needs to wait a while yet.
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Oct 09, 2013, 16:12
Has anyone dared take a peep over the fence, into the Hawkwind forum?
Witch
31 posts

Oct 09, 2013, 16:43
Nope, haven't looked at the forum, quite fed up hearing about the thing really. Although the music biz is ego fueled, Dave and Nik are both ok guys in their own right, Nik's certainly a great sax player and has enormous charisma, the problem is he can charm anybody to think his way, but in reality both of these strong characters, who used to work well together, are karmically bad for one another, they'll probably be both still trying to get the better of each other after death.

Regardless of what another post stated about Lemmy, he still moved on and has done enormously well for himself. The thing about him being sacked by Dave was slightly misleading, I used to know the band well, and it was a group decision. Lemmy is one of the most genuine characters to come out of HW, who in a face to face would state that he had a great time in the band, and would still be there if he hadn't of been sacked. As far as he was concerned they were his friends and he considered it as being completely out of order for them to treat him the way they did. However, musically he counts Dave Brock as being a great writer and a guitar player he really identified with, and he and Dave remained in contact.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 09, 2013, 18:45
I read that Lemmy was fired due to a group vote (4/2 in favour), that Nik Turner was the primary instigator behind it and that Dave Brock was one of the two who voted against
Witch
31 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2013, 19:24
Oct 09, 2013, 19:23
HW really suited Lemmy, his unique driving bass sound evolved from his time in the band, and he got on with them all well, but like in any collective, he got on with some more than others and he had his opinions. He once referred to Nik as being self-righteous, he wasn't far wrong, but no one is perfect, we all have annoying things about us that grate on others, but I don't think Nik was particuarly amused with the rather direct comment. I think it would be wrong to say Nik was the sole instigator with regard to ousting Lemmy, but he was one that voted to have him replaced, whereas Dave argued for him to be reinstated despite the opposition. It's all in the past though, and for Lemmy, one door closed and another opened, and Lemmy, like Dave, is big enough to put it down to experience rather than trying to relive the trippy past, as wonderful as it was at the time, in a tape loop of Brainstorm and Master of the Universe.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Oct 09, 2013, 20:19
I find all this drama very engrossing as I am not really a fan so I have no"personal" opinion on the members of the band. It would make a great mini series if done right or perhaps it already has been done and I'm just not aware.
Witch
31 posts

Oct 09, 2013, 21:34
It's already been a long running soap, with it's major players, while others play bit parts, but regardless of their place in the heirarchy, the cast members are gradually dwindling.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Oct 09, 2013, 22:26
I wonder how many years it is since Turner and Brock sat down face to face without bloody lawyers around and tooing and froing, taking their cuts.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index