Unsung Forum »
Hawkfeud

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Witch
31 posts

Re: Hawkfeud
Oct 10, 2013, 00:27
Lawyers always make things a lot worse, especially if it's going to raise their own profile, or do wonders for the bank balance. It's late in the evening for HW now, litigation could result in tying them up in knots for years, but before other parties start circling like vultures, they should watch it doesn't have that nasty habit of coming back and biting them on the arse, could be very bad for all concerned when the shit hits the fan.

The best way around this would be for Nik to appreciate he has his own prospering career with Space Ritual and doesn't need to rely on the HW brand. That Dave, more than anybody has contributed to HW over fourty years in virtually every sense of the word, and should be entitled to the name on those grounds alone. Finally, why, what is all this nonsense about, it's bloody ridiculous, why does the matter have to be redressed in order to suit the original members from '69 now, all these years on, who weren't even in the band for five minutes? I love HW, but realistically, these are all old people, well, just a bit older than me, who should know better, especially where Nik's concerned.
Goose The Wise
1 posts

Jun 14, 2020, 16:39
I almost bought tix for Hawkwindx thinking it was the real "Hawkwind", Guilford Festival. The poster had symbols and letters all over it and a tiny x mixed in. It looked like a "Hawkwind" poster. It was a big chunk of money, for someone on the wages I was on. Eventually, I couldn't afford it, but imagine how gutted I would be, if I had gone. Nicks been in the band 7 years, it's Dave's lifetime of work over 50 years. Nicks version of the band is piss poor. My mates met Nick, he tried to get one of them do security for free at another festival. My mate asked Nick if he was playing for free, Nick said yes, along with some I'm a do good type story. My mate found out later, he was playing for over £700 possibly nearer £800 , this was 15/20 years ago. Dave Brock's a nice bloke.
radagast
radagast
264 posts

Edited Jun 22, 2020, 00:41
Jun 22, 2020, 00:39
Never ending story indeed...

Goose's post sounds like a Brock promo/vindication, which he may partly deserve. Nevertheless the HW camp have all too easily blamed Nik as the bad guy, the hypocrite he certainly is to a point. Playing the "all is free card" while getting paid himself - sounds like him. He's probably not even aware of his moral shortcomings. No wonder, him being a virgo, as Lemmy would point out. Nevertheless, a nice and easygoing man as long as you don't enter into business (or non-profit) relationships with him.

Just like thatBrock is a nice guy, but quite often has found reasons for harsh action and people to do the bad things for him. HW is a story of Brock domination over the others, as Calvert once pointed out - being ousted from the flagship himself - a year and a half after announcing a "Stalinist purge" in cooperation with Brock which left Turner stranded without a band in the late 70s. Sounds confusing? It certainly is...

I think the pattern is as follows: Brock is a tolerant person with a very open mind, ready to integrate people with new ideas into his band. This however led to points where artistic vision, musical and/or financial control threatened to slip or get out of focus to a major extend, thus forcing him to recover his central role as the band's founder and helmsman. On the other hand he probably feels - quite rightly so - he depends on other musicians to bring more life and stamina to his music. Don't get me wrong - he's an excellent rhythm guitarist and a great songwriter - but listen to his solo projects or some of his later tunes and you'll find they often sound a bit flat or lack a certain energy. So he brings in new guys again, who start do develop the idea they're a central part of the project until they suddenly find themselves sacked. And so on.

Nik was probably the first in a line of "front man"/"creative partner" - figures that suffered that fate, among them Calvert, Davey and lately Dibs.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index