Oct 08, 2013, 00:47
konaman wrote:
you shouldn't do that
you shouldn't do that
you shouldn't do that
you shouldn't do that
you shouldn't do that

I was actually listening to this just before I came across this thread

...and I've got "Time We Left" on from "Space Ritual Sundown V2" banging out at mega volume on the headphones. Not in the same league as "You Shouldn't Do That", but still violently psychedelic none the less. I got off the Hawkwind boat a long time ago, but the old stuff, the golden age albums and live recordings are blistering. Hawkwind played a pivotal role in my music for years. You gotta love Hawkwind.

Bob Calvert RIP - He really was something.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Re: Hawkfeud
Oct 08, 2013, 02:58
Great....so not only do I have to navigate through "good vs bad" realeases to learn about this band but there are also more than one incarnation of the band from which to choose! Reminds me a bit of the situation with American metal band Great White there are at least two different bands with the same name touring at any given time however I wouldn't reccomend either as your likely to feel a little burned by the experience ( god that was in very poor taste what has got into me today my apologies)
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Oct 08, 2013, 08:36
Ha! The Hawklords, as it happens is another of those spin-offs that actually don't feature Dave.
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Oct 08, 2013, 11:14
billding68 wrote:
Great....so not only do I have to navigate through "good vs bad" realeases to learn about this band but there are also more than one incarnation of the band from which to choose! Reminds me a bit of the situation with American metal band Great White there are at least two different bands with the same name touring at any given time however I wouldn't reccomend either as your likely to feel a little burned by the experience ( god that was in very poor taste what has got into me today my apologies)

Just to make your life easier, you also have the additional complexity arising from assessment of the myriad of live recordings released, officially or unofficially, by Hawkwind.

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/69763/#12
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 08, 2013, 11:38
What's the most gonzo Hawkwind Live album you've heard? Only live Wind I have is the full peak period 1972 Greasy Truckers Party set, where they almost verge on sounding like modern-day Acid Mothers Temple. I'd imagine that might be down to the wonderfully bad recording- the more bootleggier the quality, the more likely it'll sound like a scuzzed up noise rock record (see Live at the Gymnasium V.U). Would be interested in hearing more, but nothing clean. Dirty only, please!

Here's a version of You Shouldn't Do That from that performance.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 08, 2013, 11:55
I thought they'd got it right for both bands and fans when Nik Turner and co settled on "Space Ritual" as a touring/recording name. Made perfect sense, you knew what you were getting and it seemed that all parties were happy with that, job done. Just a shame they're dragging this out again.
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Oct 08, 2013, 12:03
Sin Agog wrote:
What's the most gonzo Hawkwind Live album you've heard? Only live Wind I have is the full peak period 1972 Greasy Truckers Party set, where they almost verge on sounding like modern-day Acid Mothers Temple. I'd imagine that might be down to the wonderfully bad recording- the more bootleggier the quality, the more likely it'll sound like a scuzzed up noise rock record (see Live at the Gymnasium V.U). Would be interested in hearing more, but nothing clean. Dirty only, please!

Here's a version of You Shouldn't Do That from that performance.

As you're no doubt aware, there are boatloads of live Hawkwind recordings about and, like you, I particularly like the gonzo outbursts. Greasy Truckers is a particularly fine example, hard to top. That being said, I'd heartily recommend "Live @ Youth Centre, Potters Bar 16 Oct '71". It sounds like it was recorded in a toilet and is violently psychedelic....ultraviolence. The line up on this monster is Calvert, Brock, Turner, Ollis, Dikmik, Lemmy and Del Detmar.

Sugarmegs have a version:

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Edited Oct 08, 2013, 12:54
Oct 08, 2013, 12:52
Here's a pretty good. professionally filmed*, edited and mixed live DVD of Space Ritual. There were two sets filmed, the first featuring around a dozen former Hawkwinders, the second a few members down, but an extra dancer up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzFqRJl9DVM

http://www.spaceritual.org/dvd.html

I think it was around 2004 or thereabouts. I'm in the audience, somewhere.

*by the guy who did the cartoon captions on Tiswas!
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 08, 2013, 15:28
Cheers, Charlie!
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2013, 08:41
Oct 09, 2013, 08:23
Now there are rumours that Hawkwind have been refused entry to the USA and are blaming Nik Turner's campaign. Oh dear...
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index