Hawkfeud

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Re: Hawkfeud
Oct 09, 2013, 08:31
It's all rather sad and unnecessary. Isn't Dave Brock the only original member left ? People's band, or ego battles ? Hmm. I honestly think there comes a point when the towel should well and truly be chucked in band wise when it gets to that. I seem to remember some version of 'The Byrds' ie. the drummer, touring in the 80s. Granted, Dave Brock is far more pivotal than Michael Clarke was, but perhaps he he should have gone off and founded his own new musical project.
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Oct 09, 2013, 08:43
To my knowledge he's the only one who hasn't had a side project. I have met him - I must say - and can report that he's a lovely fella. In fact, they all are.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Oct 09, 2013, 08:47
That makes it all the more sad. Some heads need banging together in a loving way while there's still time.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Oct 09, 2013, 09:33
Kid Calamity wrote:
Ha! The Hawklords, as it happens is another of those spin-offs that actually don't feature Dave.

But he is on The Hawklords album "25 Years On". Which is brilliant.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Oct 09, 2013, 09:38
Astralcat wrote:
It's all rather sad and unnecessary. Isn't Dave Brock the only original member left ? People's band, or ego battles ? Hmm. I honestly think there comes a point when the towel should well and truly be chucked in band wise when it gets to that. I seem to remember some version of 'The Byrds' ie. the drummer, touring in the 80s. Granted, Dave Brock is far more pivotal than Michael Clarke was, but perhaps he he should have gone off and founded his own new musical project.

But the first album to have only Dave as an original member may well have been Quark Strangeness and Charm... 36 years ago. And there are some great albums from after that date.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Oct 09, 2013, 09:39
Robot Emperor wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

But the first album to have only Dave as an original member may well have been Quark Strangeness and Charm... 36 years ago. And there are some great albums from after that date.

I'm not that up on them to be honest. I'm only really familiar with Space Ritual and Warrior On The Edge Of Time, plus a few random tracks.
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Oct 09, 2013, 09:45
'Quark' is a great album. Many of that later 'Brock-centric' line-up and subsequent incarnations have since worked with and continue to be allied to Nik Turner's various projects.

There's a band calling itself The Hawklords currently out on tour, as well as band called The Psychedelic Warlords. Both of which comprise several of the various latter period Hawkwind members. Nik will often be seen playing with either. And why not? They all get on well - And folk want to see them.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2013, 10:06
Oct 09, 2013, 09:54
I once "conducted" a disastrous interview with Nik after about 4 and a half microseconds notice. I was so flustered and unprepared, I basically got him to give me the whole of his life history so I didn't have to think up any questions. I also forgot to turn on the dictaphone at one point when he was saying something interesting about John Peel. We were backstage at Glastonbury and Inner City Unit were almost late because of my flakiness.* And yet he bore my shenanigans with a charming gap-toothed smile. I'm surprised he'd be party to any of this silliness.

*In my defence I'd had five hours sleep in six days before this.
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2013, 12:11
Oct 09, 2013, 09:58
Exactly. It's all so out of character. Not just for him, but also what I know of Brock, too. Were it not for the legal side of it; lawyers registering name etc I'd have just assumed some sort of misheard communications had allowed it to escalate.

EDIT: Here's a news item from the US: http://chicagoist.com/2013/10/07/hawkwind_postpones_logan_square_aud.php
Witch
31 posts

Oct 09, 2013, 11:09
Nik is a great performer, an ok guy who should have been concentrating on his own career rather than Hawkwind's, but he's like a sad old queen who does bitter so well, and unlike Dave, he's aired his dirty washing all over the internet.

His argument may seem plausible by someone who is taken in by all this trippy-hippy nonsense about 'redressing the balance man' with the added 'I'll see you at a festival soon', but it's shot full of holes. Nik used to have the van, and was going to be the bands roadie until he got the sax out and started jamming with them. The band evolved out of Brock's 'Famous Cure'and the origin of the bands name is debateable, some ex members, and it's far too many for them all to claim a bit part of the name, state it was something to do with Nik's habits, while others refer to Moorcock's 'Hawkmoon' as the source. Whatever it is, and it's a matter of varied opinion, Nik could not claim in a court of law that he has legal written proof that he is the source of the name, no more than he could lay legal claim to the often argued point that he is the spirit of Hawkwind.

He was sacked from Hawkwind in '76, not because he was manipulated out by Brock/Calvert, that's just his slant on what occured, but because the band needed a new direction in the changing musical climate and because he was a liability by the nature of his playing which had become so bad. Dave Brock has been at Hawkwind's helm from the beginning to date, by rights no one else should be able to claim they are such a major player in the scheme of things and are, therefore, entitled to legally use the brand name, Nik doesn't even need to, he just times his gripe, and at his age to, in order to maximise damage against a band that are still hugely popular and a commercially marketable commodity.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index