Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Re: Revolutionary Suicide
Jun 25, 2013, 15:56
necropolist wrote:
today is officially CopeDay in Ireland, apparently. Very good review in the Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/screenwriter/2013/06/24/in-praise-of-julian-cope/

It certainly seems to be garnering favourable reviews here and there and I noticed it even had its own rack (not just the artist but the 'album') in HMV today (along with a copy of You Gotta Problem With Me and Woden - how did THEY get there!?).
If Cope's not careful he could find himself back in the mainstream again. Er, look out!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jun 25, 2013, 21:48
Jun 25, 2013, 20:39
Bought it today...in a SHOP! Stone circles and Queues!

After a couple of plays I can say that I like it rather a lot, and I already rate it over "Psychedelic Revolution", and is probably the best thing to come out in the Black Sheep livery, although this is very much a solo effort, since...er..."Black Sheep".

Initial feelings -It seems that, despite his best efforts, Julian can't help but knock together a set of catchy tunes. And, there's a lightness of touch, playfulness even, that seemed missing from the last couple of releases. The stance is no less REVOLUTIONARY, but there is melody and breathing space and beauty in here, which is something of a relief to me as a fan. This is a drude writing and singing, and singing well, actual songs.

Yes, I think that some of these tunes would benefit from a bit more production punch and fizz, but there's an awful lot to enjoy here and I'm sonically resigned to Julian's current sonic aesthetic. And, to be fair, for what is more or less a totally solo album, there's more thought in serving the songs arrangement wise, than has been apparent for awhile.
There's moments on this album that I could happily play to folk that bailed at, say, Autogeddon, and be fairly assured that they'd enjoy it.
"The Armenian Genocide" is, despite that riff being bit of an old friend in the RAWK, a fantastic centre piece of sadness, anger and an awful history unfolding. Weirdly, it also puts Julian alongside System of a Down for drawing attention to the genocide!

Again, this is just an initial impression, but Hunter of this Parish addressed (in this weeks soundtracks), not without good reason, some concerns at some of the lyrical thrust on a song or two, especially on "Why Did The Chicken Cross My Mind" so here's my two pence.

On first listens, I see the references that Julian is making as being directed to the extreme, fundamentalist end of Islam, in much the same way as his barbs have been fired at the dogmatic end of ...well, everything really, for the last few decades. The references to a lack of tolerance for homosexuals and women in the previous verses to the thing about the allusion to Chamberlain and appeasement seems to me to be about the more medieval aspects of extreme interpretations of Islamic and Sharia law. And I took the Chamberlain reference to be that, with the best will in the world, you can't, in the end, appease extremists of any stripe.
The reason that comes to mind is that last year I saw a programme (and there were subsequent articles flying about) interviewing Salman Rushdie on an anniversary of the Fatwa that caused him to go in to hiding. He'd just bought a book out about his time living under a false identity and the lengths that has been deemed necessary to to protect him against the 'faithful'. One point he made - and this is a Muslim man of course - is that the most heinous crimes according the to most extreme and dogmatic interpretations of Islam and Sharia law are, looking at them through modern eyes, incredibly 'Medieval' - Blasphemy, Apostasy and so on. And it's incredibly hard, no matter how liberal and tolerant you are, to apply a rationale to it, let alone be generously accepting of it.
We wouldn't be exactly enamoured of the Spanish Inquisition's mind-set in 2013 Britain either.

That's my take on it anyway!

Anyhoo...soz, that was a massive chunter...

It's a very good Cope album I think.

And the Genesis thing is....Good Heavens! I really like it though!
(Try singing "Turn it on again" slooowwly with it!)

ps Oh, should also say; this album made me want to go and play lots of other Julian Cope albums, in a way that "Psychedelic Revolution" didn't quite manage.

EDIT - 4th listen. It's a top album. Huzzingh!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Jun 26, 2013, 03:06
Also, Hymn To The Odin has a pleasant nod to Stone Circles And You.
dannycomb
6 posts

Jun 28, 2013, 17:01
So glad I got hold of this.

For some reason I zeroed in on a couple of slightly negative, diminishing returns themed comments and nearly left it alone. However, since there's always something wonderful on a new Cope album even if it's just the cover I took a punt.

The whole thing is great, grabbed me straight away and plunged me into a blissful Cope-like state in a way that often requires revisiting his records from quite a number of years ago. Some of it's poppy, some of it's folky, some of it's serious, some of it's funny, some of it's Cope making gargling noises but to me it's consistently inspired and realised better than his last few offerings.

What's all my vinyl doing upstairs? Love it.
tk421
121 posts

Jun 29, 2013, 13:00
Reluctantly bought it this week as, although I buy them all, the last Cope album that I really and wholeheartedly loved was I guess 20 Mothers or Interpreter the first brain doner album. The rest have been mostly liked rather than loved.

Only had one full play and I think it's wonderful!

Just a brilliant return to form that makes me want to go back to all the recent stuff and give it a second chance...
Boxnudger
Boxnudger
246 posts

Re: Revolutionary Suicide : Radio Spot samples
Jun 29, 2013, 21:36
Andfurthermoreagain wrote:
It is (to me) as good as the snippet makes it sound. I did enjoy the radio-spot too as I love Cope's affected 'self-promotion' voice, reminded me of those clips on Copulation ("Julian Cope, his brand new album World Shut Your Mouth" - ha, promoting himself in the 3rd person - love it")

Did these clips appear on the Copeulation DVD? I remember seeing them on the video version, but seem to recall they weren't on the DVD that I got.
CarlosHalston
1 posts

Jun 30, 2013, 02:02
Long-time fan, first time poster. Hi.

Man, I'm loving this album.

RS has me on the biggest Cope kick I've had in probably 20 years. There's nothing about this album I don't love (yes, even the explosions).

I had pretty much hopped off the ship after Dark Orgasm. I was only kiiiinda liking the albums... and figured they just weren't worth the price anymore. But whoa RS. Now I'm going back through the last few. Love Woden... love "Kiss My Sweet Apocalypse"... and am excited to see what else is there! Not that I expect them to be better than RS though. This thing hits it out of the park for me.

His voice sounds fantastic.
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Jul 04, 2013, 17:45
This just keeps getting better!

Also Revolutionary Suicide makes a whole lot more 'sense' to me afterwards (not to say that i didn't dig it as well i the first place...).

What a great process!!!
valis23
valis23
111 posts

Jul 11, 2013, 21:07
Late to the party, but I'm happy to drink out of a dirty cup! I listened to the first disk non-stop for a week or so when it arrived last month, loved it immediately. I saved disk two for a rainy day (well, sunny, turns), when I very coincidentally happened to have eaten a few mushrooms for breakfast. I don't have have much of worth to contribute here, other than to raise my hand along those of ye who think this is another stunning piece by an untouchably brilliant artist. I'm proud to be on the planet at the same time as this fellow. "In His Cups" makes me cry every time I play it, but can you imagine me hearing it for the very first time whilst tripping 'round the haus? Muther of Fook. I lurve "They Were On Hard Drugs" as well. He gets looser and looser, but musically, I think he's eternally spot-on. I don't really have anything new or even thoughtful to say, and I know I've waited a while before jumping on board here, so it's only my rush of enthusiasm that's got me scribbling right now. Yow.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jul 11, 2013, 22:14
I've gone back to it this week after a shakey start, and I'm starting to think it is somewhat ace and my first impressions were off the mark. Now I'm getting hooked and looking forward to diving in deeper. Paradise Mislaid is going round my head like a cartoon birdie...

I must admit I'm still a little unsure about all the firearms imagary on it though.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index