Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 18, 2013, 14:11
Re: Revolutionary Suicide
Jun 18, 2013, 09:01
MARTASE wrote:
...is now also available on Spotify. I gave it only the briefest of listens to confirm my decision to buy. As should you. Sounds fucking great to me! Dispense with your doubts now!

EDIT and I don't much like PR..hence the hesitation.

FFS, if anyone can stream it within the home of legitimised exploitation of artists and composers that is Spotify then why isn't it streamed on HH? Or Bandcamp? Meanwhile non fans who are prepared to dance with the the music business equivalent of Macdonalds (while dressing themselves up as cultural environmentalists) get to hear it for free. Real fans have to make do with an extended radio ad. I really don't get it. Revolutionary like Sony.
MARTASE
MARTASE
602 posts

Edited Jun 18, 2013, 16:41
Jun 18, 2013, 16:18
Not sure of the reason in your argument Ian- at least in the context of R.S! To slag Spotify is one thing- it deserves it (though I'm not entirely sure that artists see nothing in return from their material appearing on it? Please enlighten me) But to suggest that R.S should therefore be streamed here on HH doesn't add up- JC would surely then lose income from fans! As for Spotifiers getting Cope for free- how many exactly do you think there will be?? Maybe a few will hear it who never would have otherwise!

Anyway thanks to Spotify JC will have one more purchaser in me..I'm skint and can't afford the luxury of buying albums indiscriminately

EDIT or are you criticising Cope for not Bandcamping? I'm lost! x
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 18, 2013, 16:45
Jun 18, 2013, 16:39
MARTASE wrote:
Not sure of the reason in your argument Ian- at least in the context of R.S! To slag Spotify is one thing- it deserves it (though I'm not entirely sure that artists see nothing in return from their material appearing on it? Please enlighten me) But to suggest that it should therefore be streamed here on HH doesn't add up- JC would surely then lose income from fans! As for Spotifiers getting Cope for free- how many exactly do you think there will be?? Maybe a few will hear it who would never have otherwise!

Anyway thanks to Spotify JC will have one more purchaser in me..I'm skint and can't afford the luxury of buying albums indiscriminately

The pocket change he will get from Spotify as opposed to streaming it here (if only for a limited period or as a one off playback on Soundcloud) is going to be really insignificant. Artists (even some fairly well known ones) see next to nothing from these streaming services. Writers get even less. If people listen to your entire album 1500 times you might (at a pinch) see the equivalent income from one cd sale. Seems to me this rewards the wrong people. And this is coming from someone who wants to buy it. Anyway ... moan over.
Kat72
4 posts

Edited Jun 18, 2013, 17:14
Jun 18, 2013, 17:12
Twitter, spotify and quest lists - Revolutionary it isn't, suicide it might be, a load of bollocks, he's finally lost it [and sold his soul].
goosebal
goosebal
256 posts

Jun 18, 2013, 19:50
I'm happy its on Spotify.

Though I've pretty much brought every Cope album in existence in the past, I was going to stop at this one as the last couple really didn't do it for me (surprised even myself as once thought the man could do no wrong).

Heard it once today on Spotify and don't rate it at all. So am happy I saved a tenner or whatever it costs in buying it as that would have been a waste of money.
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Jun 18, 2013, 21:38
If thats starting to worry people round here, wait til the "singles" and associated promo mentioned in connection with 131 appear...
keith a
9572 posts

Jun 18, 2013, 22:29
goosebal wrote:

Though I've pretty much brought every Cope album in existence in the past, I was going to stop at this one as the last couple really didn't do it for me (surprised even myself as once thought the man could do no wrong).

Heard it once today on Spotify and don't rate it at all. So am happy I saved a tenner or whatever it costs in buying it as that would have been a waste of money.

I'd hear it twice before I decided it was rubbish if I were you!
keith a
9572 posts

Jun 18, 2013, 22:31
Kat72 wrote:
Twitter, spotify and quest lists - Revolutionary it isn't, suicide it might be, a load of bollocks, he's finally lost it [and sold his soul].

Blimey. You must hate it that he used to in Smash Hits or on Top Of The Pops?
murgatroy
murgatroy
38 posts

Jun 20, 2013, 03:18
I'm not going to quote anything i have read on here.I shall just post a review of 'Revolutionary Suicide' from an outsiders point of view.It is much more closer to the truth than anything i have read yet.

I understand and acknowledge most of the Cope's meandering artistic journeys.I don't necessarily hold them all in high regard, but reckon there is enough original material here to warrant a thumbs up.

For the record, i am one of those that believes 'Interpreter' was as close as Julian was going to get to chart success.I pretty much dig the whole of that album.

His current 'Address Druidon' proclaims that he has future sights on re-invigorating chart hits.I hope this to be true.We all know Cope is a damn fine writer and tune smith when he really wants to be.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/06/julian-cope-new-album-revolutionary-suicide.html
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jun 20, 2013, 07:58
keith a wrote:
goosebal wrote:

I'd hear it twice before I decided it was rubbish if I were you!

I've heard it twice (at work rather than through Spotify) and I'm not convinced enough to buy it. One more listen, and if I still don't tnink much of it, that'll be the last time as there are too many good new releases coming out for me to let an album grow on me over a period of weeks or months.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index