Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
valis23
valis23
111 posts

Re: Revolutionary Suicide
Jul 11, 2013, 23:03
Squid Tempest wrote:
I've gone back to it this week after a shaky start, and I'm starting to think it is somewhat ace and my first impressions were off the mark. Now I'm getting hooked and looking forward to diving in deeper. Paradise Mislaid is going round my head like a cartoon birdie...

I must admit I'm still a little unsure about all the firearms imagary on it though.

Sure - I've just not made sense of the guns and the regalia and much of the language of recent years, and even "Autogeddon" still freaks me with the violent vibes, but I have to trust that Julian has a broader sense of where he's going. And then he conjures up "In His Cups" and I think I'd sell a first-edition Baby Jesus for the this guy... Again, I don't claim to be the most thoughtful fellow, I take many things in intuitively, in my deaf/dumb stylee and I allow a lot of room for contradiction from artists I admire. He's over my head in nearly everything he sings about, but I still feel an epic sense of Knowing and that works for me. All that said, would it be worse if she was holding a real banjo instead of plastic AK-47?
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jul 12, 2013, 09:54
valis23 wrote:
I have to trust that Julian has a broader sense of where he's going

That's the mistake a lot of people make
valis23
valis23
111 posts

Jul 12, 2013, 13:01
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
valis23 wrote:

Ha! Well, he's got a broader sense of where he's going than I ever will, so I'm happy to project! But really - Many of us hold him as a visionary, ja, and Psychedelic Revolution and Revolutionary Suicide show a man fully and utterly Aware and shaping and re-shaping his vision of the Moment, mama!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jul 12, 2013, 13:09
valis23 wrote:
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
valis23 wrote:

Ha! Well, he's got a broader sense of where he's going than I ever will, so I'm happy to project! But really - Many of us hold him as a visionary, ja, and Psychedelic Revolution and Revolutionary Suicide show a man fully and utterly Aware and shaping and re-shaping his vision of the Moment, mama!

I love your cheery enthusiasm Ant :-)
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jul 12, 2013, 13:35
His latest stance becomes a whole lot clearer once you read Huey Newton's Revolutionary Suicide and John Sinclair's Guitar Army. He clearly used those books in the same way a 14 year old metaller might use a Slipknot record- to fire himself out of a cannon. Trouble is, transplanting imagery from the late '60s into the 2010's isn't necessarily a smooth operation. Those were the sons of people who weren't allowed to use the same waterfountains as whites, or who were thrown in prison for years for possessing a half-finished joint. Coming from present-day Cope's lips this fire and brimstone seems a bit campy, which with Cope being Cope he's almost definitely aware of.

Anyway, still not heard this album yet but I'll get on it now that everyone's come round to it. I've always been one to turn up to parties so late that I get put on cleaning duty.
valis23
valis23
111 posts

Jul 12, 2013, 16:31
Squid Tempest wrote:
valis23 wrote:
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
valis23 wrote:

Naivete is the mother of my best laid intention! This Cope kid just keeps freaking me owt, man! But I suppose a simpler way for me to explain is that, frankly, I don't always go deep into meaning, not at first. The sound of Julian's wah-guitar comes from the same soul as his singing voice - it's all one for me. Nice that there's plenty of talk about his Mellotron playing on this forum, that'll save me some time and typing!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jul 12, 2013, 20:20
valis23 wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
valis23 wrote:
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
valis23 wrote:

Naivete is the mother of my best laid intention! This Cope kid just keeps freaking me owt, man! But I suppose a simpler way for me to explain is that, frankly, I don't always go deep into meaning, not at first. The sound of Julian's wah-guitar comes from the same soul as his singing voice - it's all one for me. Nice that there's plenty of talk about his Mellotron playing on this forum, that'll save me some time and typing!

I'm similar in some respects - it takes me a lot of listens before I notice words, I mostly hear the music first.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Jul 13, 2013, 05:38
I wish I could hear what you all are hearing in the last 4 or 5 albums things got iffy at citizen cane and onward for me. I really do try but nothing seems to click for the most part except for the odd track here or there. Same with the brain donor stuff the 1st one was great but it got really bad for me onward. is it just me? Kinda sucks......
keith a
9572 posts

Jul 27, 2013, 22:34
*** review from Roy Wilkinson in the new Mojo
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index